Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 1:59am
I may be wrong - but my understanding is not all column shifts had tool indents. 

Locking hubs? Only if a period correct add on. So possible, but not a priority. 

I would love to find options like dual wheels, maybe a PTO, etc to go on it. 

It has a T motor. So the motor isn't correct. So we will see about that. Over the years the spare tire mount and the bow pockets have disappeared. So that will need to be sorted. The air cleaner is missing. But I do have the correct one in the hoard. Generator isn't correct. Horn missing. Tail light incorrect.

That said, it has all sorts of factory installed bits still there. 

I'm going to get her running her in the coming weeks and then really decide where I want to go. I'm just thrilled to have a proper column shift in the stable.....and yes, if I take my 12 valve plow truck out of the shop, I could fit at least one more CJ! LOL

more to come.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 3:04am
i know you do good work. but 3 major on-going projects? plus life? man thats sumthin.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

i know you do good work. but 3 major on-going projects? plus life? man thats sumthin.

Well.....let's just say they are lined up. Wink I'd say I have the next several years laid out for me at this point. 

The CJ5 needs to be completed this spring. I'm getting close on that one. 

The wagon is not a resto. It's a simple run as you brung type of project. The red wagon, I'll be breaking for parts. 

Then I can dig into the 2A. I bet it won't be till the fall before I even give it much of a look.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

...I will only use stock parts. I will only use a repop part when there is no other option. I will only add period correct options. ...

Currently searching for a way to "notarize" internet posts LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 6:03pm

A dear friend has challenged me on several occasions to keep a CJ in a stock pure form. 

Wouldn't 'happen' to be Mbullism...

I can probably find a home for those 'non-stock' seats...
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

A dear friend has challenged me on several occasions to keep a CJ in a stock pure form. 

I would never "challenge" anyone with Andys penchant for modification to a stock project... never Wink

It's cruel LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I would never "challenge" anyone with Andys penchant for modification to a stock project... never Wink

It's cruel LOL

...and unusual.....LOL
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2021 at 10:46am
I think you'll find ACM a better indicator of tool indents or not... see Seans two posts at the bottom:

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2021 at 11:25am
Must stay focused......must stay focused......

We got the fuel cell mount done. It took a little doing (translation - I screwed up on several cuts) But it's done and I'm pleased with it. I plan to install some bulkhead fitting in the floor, in order to make tub removal that much easier. 

Today will be spent taking some final measurements for the steering column and making a parts list. I still have one more rather large parts order to place. 

Fab is nearly done!!! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2021 at 3:07pm
Hi Andy,

Two questions on your last post.
I just passed on a fuel cell (RCI) that looks to be the same size as yours, but it had no baffels. Are they necessary? I assume the frame is aluminum, wish I knew how to TIG.

I noticed earlier that you used 1 inch square tubing for your seat frames. I used 1 inch strap and the problem I had was that if I mounted them  on top of the rear deck, and then raised the front mount to tilt the seat, everything was toohigh, no clearancw with the cage. How did you handle
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Hi Andy,

Two questions on your last post.
I just passed on a fuel cell (RCI) that looks to be the same size as yours, but it had no baffels. Are they necessary? I assume the frame is aluminum, wish I knew how to TIG.

I noticed earlier that you used 1 inch square tubing for your seat frames. I used 1 inch strap and the problem I had was that if I mounted them  on top of the rear deck, and then raised the front mount to tilt the seat, everything was toohigh, no clearancw with the cage. How did you handle

Hey John,

No baffles. In fact I have never run baffles in my fuel cells. Not to say it shouldn't be done. Just that I have never found a real need. If I felt a need, I would use some of the fuel baffle balls you can add to your tank. They work great and don't disintegrate like foam does. 

As for the seat, I didn't have that issue. But the CJ5 offers a lot more overall height to play with. My seating position still allows for my head to be well below the roll bar height. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2021 at 8:29pm
That jeep is looking better all the time. Again, nice fabrication. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2021 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

That jeep is looking better all the time. Again, nice fabrication. 

Thanks! We're getting there. Hope to wrap up final mock up in the next couple weeks. Then we can blow it apart for paint. Once painted, it should go back together pretty quick. As long as it's ready for the Banks in July, I'll be happy. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 2:28pm
I haven't had much time lately. But I have managed to get a few things done. 

I spent some time getting the onboard air system plumbed up. Here's the air intake. 

Then I mocked up and mounted the pressure switch and distribution block. I'm just waiting on the one way valve so I can plumb the blow off valve. 

Next up, the steering system. The column and wheel are here. I can finally wrap that portion of the fabrication. I need to make a decision on the emergency brake. I can't not find ANY parts for the 10 inch brakes to make the e-brake work. So, I need to find a solution. More to come.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 2:40pm
Good thing the 5 has a high hood Thumbs Up
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Good thing the 5 has a high hood Thumbs Up

For sure! It’s tight. But hey, an inch of clearance is the same as a foot in the long run! LOL
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 5:08pm
I like your new one. Heck, I like them all. Nice work. We have a 'glass tub on our '2A and the floor under the seats is 'glass encased 3/4" plywood and it seems super strong. Is yours not the same? Fiberglass is definitely a challenge, but I like it. Especially after rolling it. The glass body repairs were simple and easy. Fixing the buckled hood, took forever and it's still not right.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

I like your new one. Heck, I like them all. Nice work. We have a 'glass tub on our '2A and the floor under the seats is 'glass encased 3/4" plywood and it seems super strong. Is yours not the same? Fiberglass is definitely a challenge, but I like it. Especially after rolling it. The glass body repairs were simple and easy. Fixing the buckled hood, took forever and it's still not right.

Yes - this tub has the same design - reinforced with the 3/4 ply. I tend to go a bit overboard with seat and seat belt mounts. So I'll still make some plates for underneath. I know. I'm a kook. LOL

And thanks for the compliments! I'm looking forward to completing this one. I really think it's going to be a nice driver once all is said and done.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 52>