Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 9:57am
Keep it going here! 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 10:57am
Nice looking machine
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 3:37pm
Agreed, keep it going here.  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 4:36pm
uh-uh-uh... I thought you had accepted the VEC bone stock challenge Clap

I think it being a 2A on the 2Apage, and NOT being modifications from original, you ought to start fresh

('course, if the bantam is next and you're not gonna hot rod it, lol, it should be further down Evil Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2021 at 5:15pm
If it were me I'd want a thread for each vehicle...but that's just the way I would do it. Maybe put a link to the other project at the end of this one.

But either way we will watch! LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 8:19am
Sooo......I'm just going to keep going here. 

I would ask the mods to move the whole thread to "your Jeep project" Perhaps that's more fitting considering how this has evolved over the last few years. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Sooo......I'm just going to keep going here. 

I would ask the mods to move the whole thread to "your Jeep project" Perhaps that's more fitting considering how this has evolved over the last few years. 
Done
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2021 at 5:37pm
Okay......here it goes! 

I picked this column shift gem about a year ago. It's been virtually untouched since I brought it home. Over the last year, I've been collecting some bits and pieces. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. 

So what am I doing? Well, I was challenged to do a "stock" build. I accepted the challenge and this is it. I'm by no means a member of the honorary order of Jeep police. So I'm not looking to do a nut and bolt bring back to factory stock build. What I am looking to do is build a Jeep using only stock parts and/or period correct parts. Repop pieces will be either last resort, or a temp solution until the right part is found. My thoughts are if it was available to be bolted onto a Jeep in the late 40's to mid 50's I'm okay with using it! So to that end, things like PTO bits, winches, locking hubs are all fair game. 

Regarding paint and body work - it's really not in bad shape. In fact I'm very pleased in the overall condition of the body. But I will not be taking it down to the frame anytime soon. 

some facts about the Jeep: 

SN# 26819 (matching frame tag) 
ACM #17114 
Tailgate ACM #56084 (not matching, but still 1946) 
Motor SN #4T32541A (obviously not original. Truck motor I assume. But no idea on the numbering)
found traces of pasture green on the tub and gas tank. 

The Jeep has seen virtually no modifications. The only glaring thing was an Arvin heater that was installed (poorly) on the passenger side. I removed it today. The wiring appears to be original and not hacked, but in poor shape. I will likely rewire it with a Walck's harness. It has been converted to 12 volt with a 12 volt generator of unknown origin. 

Today, we dug it out the corner and started to play. First order of business was a compression test. Not bad. All cylinders showed 85-95 PSI dry. I dropped in a temp battery and made new battery cables for 0 welding wire. The little thing spins fast enough to lift off now. We've got new points, coil and have spark. Well almost spark. The plugs are in rough shape. I got one to show me some life. But it was short lived. So I'll spring for some plugs and new leads. I think the leads that are on there my actually be original. If not they are at least 3 decades old. So she didn't fire today. But I'm confident she will run. 

Interesting things I've collected over time: 

correct horn
correct battery tie down
correct tailgate chains (I think) 
correct air cleaner (actually had this long before I got the Jeep) 
a bunch of KH and Motor wheels
chaff screen 
period correct locking hubs
Harrison heater
dual wheel adapters (although I am questioning if these are the real deal. maybe repops?)
Ramsey PTO with front and rear output (the crown jewel so far!) 
SN #11800 Bantam T3-C (needs a major reno - but it's a 47. I'll take that!) 

Immediate needs: 

front frame horns are pretty rough. Need to solve for that. 
Seat frames - MIA
gas tank - I have the original, but it's gone. It came with a plastic one. But I don't think i'll use that, even if only temporary. 
brake work - have most parts on hand. 
wiring - need to address. 

That's my roadmap. Off to the races! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2021 at 7:58am
That's a great place to start down this road Thumbs Up  If you find yourself questioning, maybe getting a little scared or considering some sort of ..(ehem)..."upgrade", or "improvement", 

you call me.  

Day or night.

You got this. LOL

Edited by mbullism - 21 Nov. 2021 at 8:11am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 7:33pm
It’s alive!!!

After rather minimal tinkering, this little Go Devil fired right up! It settled into an idle quickly and just purred away! Honestly can’t believe it runs as good as it does after sitting for so long! 

I did some minor wiring fixes. I bolted up the correct air cleaner. But I’m missing the crossover tube. Need to hunt one down. I found a radiator support rod in the hoard, straightened it and installed it. 

Clutch seems to be working ok. Next up is some semblance of braking action. 

This is quite fun!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 6:29pm
No exciting pictures or video…..but she drives! The column shift mechanism seems to work well enough. The motor is pretty peppy, but a bit smokey still. 

I installed the plastic fuel tank as a temp measure. It seems no one in the US has a tank in stock. I cleared the vents on the gas cap and everything seems to work as it should. 

Cleaned and worked the PCV system. Replaced the makeshift stuff with something more permanent. I also remade all the ignition leads. I bought a kit destined for a Ford tractor and it worked perfectly after tailoring the ends. 

Tomorrow we will attempt to get some braking action. If it warms up I may power wash the thing as it’s pretty filthy. 

Bringing back some memories working on this thing! I’ve managed to do this work without buying much….just like I had to do when I was a young Jeeper! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 12:53pm
Well young man, you inspired me to take another plunge last night. I purchased a 46, tool side indented column shift. It will be coming out of Colorado and then up to Ohio where I'll have to go fetch it. Damn you man ! It's pretty straight and mostly original and it runs, well kinda till it died. Have not put my hands on it yet, but if I take Mike's Challege, I'll be alongside you trying to keep it mostly stock. This is my second Colorado Jeep this year. Can't believe how rust free they are. 

Edited by masscj2a - 14 Dec. 2021 at 1:11pm
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 1:24pm
Check the latest want ad. I see a crossover tube. Not sure if it's a repop or not, though. 

Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

...I purchased a 46, tool side indented column shift...
Well hasn't THIS oddly backfired on me-  I'm suddenly feeling the need to keep up with the Jones' Confused
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 3:59pm
What do you mean keep up, you set the bar for the rest of us. I'm trying to keep up with you and the stock challenge. Tongue The ad is back on the FB site for East Coast Willys or else I'd post pictures here. Not sure I can post the link here, if thats allowed and I have not been able to steal a picture of it, but I'll try. 
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 4:39pm
Lol... at the risk of muddying up Andys thread (more LOL), I meant tool indent column shift VEC Wink

ETA:

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

...The ad is back on the FB site for East Coast Willys ...

Found it! Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 14 Dec. 2021 at 4:47pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 4:56pm
I take my eyes of you two for a few minutes....and look what happens! 

Mark - I welcome a fellow modification addict into the MB sponsored stock Jeep rehab! We can be of support to each other! 

In other news......I found a second dual output PTO along with a proper Ramsey winch and fairlead! Pics coming soon! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 7:08pm
Question for you guys. Why can't I log onto the Early CJ 5 forum?  I would like to become a member on the site. 
Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks,Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 51>