Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 52>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Oh god? What/who have I become??? Are you my father??

Well, THAT escalated quickly LOL... I always told you it was more difficult with rules Wink  Someone with your imagination and talent can just ride roughshod up and down a restomod... when things clash you mold them together.

It's nice to watch a project push back a little Wink  (a.k.a. You shoulda sold it to me when ya had the chance LOL)

I've said it in the past.....if it were ever for sale, you'd be the only one allowed to buy it. truth! Wink
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2022 at 12:29pm
Embarrassed... 

ok, ok... I'll send you a marker light lens LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2022 at 9:01pm
I'm one of those recycled Harley light guys. They fit so well. Looking good Andy. Don't take what Mike points out as obvious, to hard. He means well and is just trying to keep you between the lines.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

I'm one of those recycled Harley light guys. They fit so well. Looking good Andy. Don't take what Mike points out as obvious, to hard. He means well and is just trying to keep you between the lines.

All in good fun! 

I think what makes this so fascinating for me is that I've never had a jeep this close to original. Yes paint and motor are not. But everything else is pretty much untouched. So I've come to appreciate preserving what's there and not really going into my usual mod mode. I will always build modded Jeeps and cars. But now I have a greater appreciation for the stock space in the Jeep hobby! 

I'm happy to report the marker lights are back together and looking good. I even refurbished what looks like the OEM screws. 

This build will either drive me to madness or an extreme sense of satisfaction. Still not sure. LOL 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 10:19am

This build will either drive me to madness or an extreme sense of satisfaction. Still not sure. 

Beware these are not mutually exclusive LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 11:36am

Butter fingers tragedy....

The body colored everything has been bugging me. So I figured start small. The original marker lights are in remarkable condition. But there was overspray on the lenses and the trim ring is no longer black. A fun little project would be to make these right. 

And it was fun, until i dropped a lens. Damn it. I have a OEM replacement on hand. But i doesn't seem to lessen the pain...

Dang it!  I followed in your footsteps. Those buggers are fragile!
GRRRRRR!Angry

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 6:16am
Not much to update. I've mostly been chasing maintenance items. Every fluid in the Jeep is new and of the proper grade/etc to avoid damage to any yellow metals.

In the process of servicing the transmission, I discovered a few things. I'm fairly confident that I may have just removed the original oil. Based on smell and viscosity - yes. Also the drain plugs all matched and had no tool marks on them. Either someone was very careful in the past when changing the oil, but I'm going with never been changed. The oil was dark, but no water and I could not see any yellow metals in the oil. The innards of the T-90 look like new. 

But what was very cool was this! I estimated this Jeeps build date to be on or around March 27, 1946. Today it's confirmed I am darn close! I still can't get over how unmolested this Jeep is. More and more I think the 32,000 miles displayed is real. 

And here's something I found funny. There are those that frown upon people using lights meant for a Harley in the grills of early Jeeps. 

Well my friend Eric sent me these. When I asked about the brackets he said "I had them mounted on my Harley" 

Thankfully he saved the original pedestal and hardware! 

Edited by nofender - 13 Mar. 2023 at 2:34pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 7:23am

... There are those that frown upon people using lights meant for a Harley in the grills of early Jeeps...

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 6:12pm
Small update....

Working on some minor bits. I swapped the exhaust to the MB style to accommodate the PTO shaft. I really don't like the passenger side exhaust, so I shot it flat black to satisfy my eye. 

I swapped a proper set of tailgate chains. And lastly installed leather boots for the PTO and the T-case shifters. 

I was about to start tackling the dash, when I discovered this. 

Stock? Military left over? I've never seen an on/off lever on the dash light itself. Anyone know more than I do? 

Glamour shots - 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 10:23pm
Those boots look good in there.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 7:55pm
Hey Andy,  Where did you get those nice looking shifter boots? 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2023 at 5:29am
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

Hey Andy,  Where did you get those nice looking shifter boots? 

Walck's carries them. Not exactly cheap - but the remaining bits of the original I removed was leather. So.....had to. Wink
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2023 at 9:07am

Walck's carries them. Not exactly cheap 

Getting harder and harder to find quality rubber ones so time a man buys a couple the leather makes good sense. Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2023 at 8:40am
This thing is looking great! Keep up the good work! 
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 3:00pm
Okay...back at it! 

Had some distractions - work travel, family visits and piecing together a friend's CJ7 engine swap. 

I'm preparing for what I believe to be the inevitable. The motor in the Jeep needs to come out. While it runs excellent - it smokes something terrible. All cylinders are oily. So I believe it's just tired. 

I have another motor. Little history on this thing. It belonged to my good friend Eric. It powered his 2A for many years. It went from stock-ish 2A to a serious off road rig. A machinist by trade, he adapted an SM 420 to this motor and made his own adapter to the D18. 

The Jeep eventually ended up in the hands of another friend John. He wheeled the thing for a few years, Then it went to Jim. Again he used and abused the drivetrain for more years. All these owners are friends of mine. We've wheeled together for decades. Each one was told "if you ever sell that drivetrain, I want it. Well, one day Jim said "come get it" And so I did. 

That was a decade ago. I have carted this drivetrain around ever since. Last year, I let the SM420 and adapters go to Seth. I was very proud to see these bits get used in a great project. But the motor remained. I had no intention of parting with it. Over the last decade, I would oil it once in a blue moon. Spin it over here and there. I brought it to Maryland when we moved south. Needless to say we have some history. It's always been one of the best running flatheads I've ever heard. 

That said - I knew it was tired. Power was down. Oil pressure low. So I tore it down to investigate. 

It's amazingly clean inside! You can tell it was well cared for. It's been rebuilt once already. Pistons are .040. Rods and mains are .030. I think the cylinders will clean up perfectly at .060. The crank and rods may just need another .010. But we will see what the machinist has to say once I get it there. 

So, I plan to build this engine for the Jeep. No it's not original. No it's not the correct vintage. But, we have history. And this is the engine that belongs in my Jeep. It's going to be a proud day to hear it run after a near 30 year history with it. 

The old heart will beat again soon! 

Edited by nofender - 19 Feb. 2023 at 3:03pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 5:11pm
Little update....

Seems I haven't been home for weeks. So I took a long weekend this week and did some work. 

First thing I did was rework the battery cables. I used 00 for all connections. Foot switch was installed. I added a new ground cable. For good measure, I added an addition ground (because I had a cable already made up) that grounds directly to the starter. The goal here is to go back to 6 volt when I rewire the Jeep. 

To that end, I also installed a 6V coil, a 6V battery and a generator that I believe is correct and working. Next I need to investigate the regulator. Admittedly I have zero experience with a gennie and a regulator. So I need to do my share of brushing up. But the good news is that I removed some Bubba bits and got this thing a bit closer to original. 

All that said, the real news is from my treasure hunt. Today i was on a mission to determine the axle build dates. In my ignorance, I prepped the axles with a needle scaler before searching for the dates. I was fearful that the dates would be long gone. 

Well, I'm happy to report that i was able to uncover the dates! The axles are indeed original to thsi chassis! 

Front axle shows a date of 3/22/46. This coincides nicely with the transmission date of 3/14/46. My initial estimate of buidl date was 3/27/46 based on service bulletins from the day. So, I'm pretty comfortable with my research (guess) on this Jeeps birthday. 

Fun morning! Oh and the motor goes to machine next week. Found a guy near me that is very familiar with antique Jeep and tractor engines. 

The rear was a little trickier. I see what could be what's left of a 3, which leads me to 3/24/46. I suppose it could be a 7, which would indicate the axle was replaced very early on. But based on other indicators and all the other found dates, I'm confident that 3/24/46 is the date. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2023 at 5:09am
Just a little closer to being a driver.....

This is a temporary measure while I source the correct 6V stuff. I installed a one wire 12V alternator meant for a tractor. I whipped up a bracket to hang it without doing any permanent modifications. Everything works great! 

I'm still dealing with an original and very fragile wiring harness. Once I get the time, it will be replaced. In the meantime I cleaned things up a bit. I removed some Bubba wiring and a non-functional turn signal switch and wiring. Low and behold most everything I need for now works! 

Left on the list - finish the rear seat cushions, windshield strap and a good final clean. Then I can start driving - smoky engine and all!! 

and my generator collection. Hope to make one good one out of this pile! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2023 at 7:26am
I think the genny on the right looks the closest to "correct", and you need to research that cast double pulley (governor?/military?)... (see below from 2011)

oh, and I think you may be over rating the importance of rear seat cushions when determining driveability LOL

ETA

Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

The dual pulley was a common one to run a plow pump which clamped to the generator.

So monarch hi/lo pump?

Edited by mbullism - 13 Mar. 2023 at 7:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 52>