Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"one piece at a time"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 6:56pm
Looks like things are coming along on this one. As usual your work is astounding. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the change in your staying stock. Just a hard pill to swallow when I think about the buggy. 🙄😉
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2023 at 5:41am
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Looks like things are coming along on this one. As usual your work is astounding. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the change in your staying stock. Just a hard pill to swallow when I think about the buggy. 🙄😉

Speaking of stock.....the VEC is on hold while I figure out the path on the engine. I have the engine that I tore down. Initially that was going to the machine shop. But I may be switching gears here. The engine is already .040 over. Not a big deal if it cleans up at .060. But the engine in the Jeep, I suspect is stock bore. The serial number is still intact. So it's never been decked. Anyway.......I think I'm pulling that engine to investigate a little more. Then I'll decide what the best option is. 

In the meantime - yes the buggy. I haven't used/driven it since last June. Terrible I know. Last summer and fall, my mother was very sick and I was traveling back and forth to New England almost every week. So time was very limited. So the other night we fired her up and moved her to the "service bay" 

On my to do list - 

Upgrade the fuel injection system. I built this motor to the edge of what a TBI could support. I know there is at least another 50HP in the motor if it can breath more. So it's getting a custom tuned Sniper system. 

Then a few maintenance items. My carrier bearing is shot. I need to replace my harnesses. They are way old and out of date. Then I want to wire up and emergency kill that I can reach in any position - like upside down.....

Then, I plan to move the TBI system over to the CJ5. The system is perfect for a V6. In fact I originally installed it on the 231 that was in the crawler. I have a tuned v6 chip around here somewhere. 

So that's the plan at the moment. I don't think I'll post much of all that nonsense unless people want to see it. 

I have a lot of work ahead of me!!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2023 at 5:08pm
Alright......back at it. 

The crawler is set for the season (hopefully) We did a test and tune at AAOA on Father's Day weekend. Everything went very well. Did a bit more tuning when I got home and she's pretty dialed in at this point. Let's just say it RIPS now. Just WOW. Pretty sure I'll be ejecting parts at a more rapid rate now.....

But who cares about that.....

Back to the 46. I decided to pull old smoky today. I am so curious to see what's happening inside this motor. 

Well one exhaust and one intake port of the manifold was full of raw oil. I guess that explains the smoke. I'm leaning towards valve guides being shot. The motor looks very clean inside. No crud. I have high hopes that this may be the better option for a refresh. 

We'll get it out tomorrow and torn down for a better look. My goal is to make a decision and drop whichever motor seems best at the machine shop on Wednesday. 

With the motor out, it will give me a good chance to investigate the column shift bits. Looks like some rods and bushings are worn. So I'll address that while it's apart. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2023 at 6:28pm
motor number 2 report....

I'm somewhat disappointed. Once the head was removed, I found .060 over pistons. So this motor has been rebuilt. I was hopeful it was standard bore. 

Anyway...Valve guides are shot. There is plenty of movement in the valves that should not be there. 

The good news is that there is barely a ridge on the bores. The rods and mains appear to be standard - not cut yet. The engine is very clean inside. It appears well taken care of. 

I found a funky thing with the rear main seal. It always leaked and there is good reason. The rubber dowel seals were never installed. The rear main cap does not line up properly with said dowel bores. I think this motor was "rebuilt" but not very well. some obvious mismatched parts found. Some good bits - but more Bubba than I would like. 

So where does this leave me? 

I have one block .040 over with a sleeve in one bore. 
I have one block .060 with a minimal ridge. 
I have a crank cut .020 and .030 in good shape. 
I have a crank that appears uncut in good shape that will need a cut. 

Honestly - I think I'll bring it all to the shop and let them tell me what I should do. I have more than enough parts to make a good motor I believe. 

More to come....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2023 at 7:34am
My guess is that Bubba got the .060 block bored, but ignored the valve guides. If the crank is standard, maybe it can be polished and reused. At least it should take very little turning. After that it's just un Bubba what you can and enjoy.
1946 CJ2A 14098
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2023 at 6:49pm
Update.

The blocks and cranks are loaded up. I have an appointment with the machine shop on Monday to help decide what the best path is. Excited to finally get the motor journey started! 

In the meantime, I switched gears to the CJ5. We've been putting miles on it. But there are things that I....well...hate. 

Number 1 is the Spartan locker in the rear. It's been awful. I used to run a full spool on the street and it was more streetable than this thing. So I yanked it out. I'll decide what to do at a later date. But for now I'm running an open rear with a locker up front. 

Been struggling with a drivetrain that seems to jump all over the place. Found a completely destroyed transmission mount. replacement is on the way. I also have a plan to create a "snubber" to hold the drivetrain in check. The V6 motor mounts are notoriously soft. More to come. 

Sooo......I need to replace the timing cover on the 3.8. The housing is scored and the oil pressure is suffering. So I have collected all the parts to do the job. But while I'm at it - I'll be injecting it. The TBI set up from the crawler will land here. Today I spent some time laying out the harness and planning the swap. 

This ought to keep me busy while the 46's engine is being built. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2023 at 3:21pm
Well we finally have something to talk about! So we have motor 1 now bored .060. The crank from motor 2 was stock sized. That was ground .010 under. New valve guides. All but one valve tested and measured out fine. One valve replaced. 

Very happy with what we have here today. Let's all hope I'm smart enough to put it together right! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2023 at 5:28am
A big shout out to Mark Small Machine in Westminster MD. Everything has measured out nearly perfect and very consistent. He did very nice work on the machining. 

Last night I dropped the head on finally. I'm only waiting on a water pump to arrive (forgot to order one). I'm hoping to have this thing tested and tuned for the Mason Dixon event. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2023 at 8:33am
Thumbs Up  Looks great!  Worst case, it runs like a top and outlives you Wink

(you did remember the oil galley plugs, yes? ) LOL

ETA:  Oh, and the flywheel bolts? Confused

... just kidding, nice work Smile.  and now the big question... chili lime green or coral?

Edited by mbullism - 21 Sep. 2023 at 8:48am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2023 at 4:43am
Well….i did forget flywheel bolts……but caught my mistake before I went too far….thankfully…..
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 5:55am
Here we are today. Engine is complete and installed. The carb will be rebuilt this weekend. 

Unfortunately that's as far as I can go. I'm still waiting on the Melling oil pump to arrive. So....we wait. If I had the pump, I would have met my Mason Dixon goal. Oh well. 

Can anyone enlighten me on these numbers found on the water pump boss? I know this is not an early engine. But still curious what these mean. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 7:45am
Did you remember to put the accelerator linkage on the back of the block before you installed it?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 7:54am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Did you remember to put the accelerator linkage on the back of the block before you installed it?

Oooo...that's a good one too LOL

Looks great, A... as for the number I'm guessing rebuild shop identifier-
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 9:36am

I sure did! But only because I didn't on my last build. Sometimes I learn the hard way. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 11:02am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I sure did! But only because I didn't on my last build. Sometimes I learn the hard way. 

Nice -
 Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it...
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 5:44pm
andy, is this something i should know about? LOL
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2023 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by bight bight wrote:

andy, is this something i should know about? LOL

Nah....But I think there is a scar or two on my knuckles that could share a story with you. LOL
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2023 at 7:37pm
A huge thank you to Oldpappy! A true gentleman. 

So the story - 

I posted up the need for stock style oil pumps. I’ve been waiting for months for a new Melling pump for my new motor build. Well Oldpappy sent me not one, but two! I was an able to take the best parts of both and build one good one with the rebuild kit I had on hand. 

After some final prep and assembly - I primed the motor and she fired in seconds!! 40-45 psi at idle. Temps never got above 175-180. No funny noises! No smoke (well after all the smoke cleared from all the raw oil that had dumped into the exhaust system from the prior motor) 

So pleased today! Tomorrow I’ll drain the break in oil and the water. I’ll add coolant and new oil and continue tweaking it along! It was a good day! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 51>