Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orange 1946 with f-head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 5:32am
I've heard that one of the rear-driven PTO options was a 5 gallon ice cream maker. If that's the only reason I can ever find to install a rear PTO, that's enough for me. It may be that it's nothing more than an urban legend, but if that's the case I'll build one myself!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 7:41am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I've heard that one of the rear-driven PTO options was a 5 gallon ice cream maker. If that's the only reason I can ever find to install a rear PTO, that's enough for me. It may be that it's nothing more than an urban legend, but if that's the case I'll build one myself!

Ive seen photos of one or two of them so not a legend.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 3:28pm
I've eaten ice creme from one of them, so they are definately real.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 3:33pm
sweet! <thread hijack over>
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jeepingben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2015 at 9:02pm
I spent some time today on shortening the frame.  First I needed to remove some of the bumper attaching angle iron. 

Once it was removed I test fit my new crossmember on the long frame.

I ended up shortening the frame so that the rear crossmember bolt hole through the bottom of the frame will share with the spring shackle bracket. 

This is almost short enough maybe a 1/2" will be sticking out which should be close enough that I can make the body mounts work.

Having the crossmember sandwiched between the frame and shackle bracket should net me 1/16th inch of lift which is probably equal to what I will gain from removing the 6" c-channel bumper that was on there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2015 at 9:44pm
We finally got some decent weather for working on the jeep up here and the parts are moving out of my basement and onto the jeep.

All the junk cut out and almost ready for new panels

The jeep is going to be so much more solid this year with various rotted away end flanges replaced.  The rear floor and passenger side wheelhouse are already a lot better at this stage.  The jeep will also probably be about 100 lbs lighter with the steps, rear bumper, and various bits of angle iron removed.

The rear valence is half welded in, I need to make a little patch on the lower drivers side taillight panel.

Fitting up the corner patch.

I have a little more cleanup to do on the corner patch, but it may be a few weeks so I primed it,

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2015 at 9:51pm
You know it's been a COLD winter when 30 degrees feels like t-shirt weather. Looking good!
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2015 at 11:27am

I started making the last little patch for the left side, but when I went to clear a little bondo away to weld, the whole corner unraveled!

This corner appears to be original and it looks like someone was tasked with cleaning it up after a minor accident without the use of a hammer.  There was a ton of bondo crammed into dents that easilly popped out with a couple hammer blows.

The corner is bent and has a lot of holes in it so most of it will be replaced.

Here is a test fit of the new light panel:

The tail light is going back where it was, so it is ok that the patch doesn't cover the old hole.

Fitting the corner to mark where it will be cut.

Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2015 at 1:09pm
Man I'm glad the white stuff is gone here in Ohio...

Looking good, amazing what hides under bondo.

1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2015 at 12:47am

We finally had some nice spring weather up here and it is time to get busy so I can get my Jeep back on the road.

The rear  is pretty much buttoned up.  I added some tabs to the rear crossmember for the body mounts and wired the lights back up.  I need to think of something better for the reverse light, maybe if I get a draw-bar.

Demolition continues on the passenger side floor.  The toolbox is getting cleaned up by electrolysis which is pretty magical.

I ordered a Holley 1904 today so I should be able to get rid of the hole in the hood soon as well.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2015 at 3:06am
Good work it's really looking good.
Your work area is like time lapse photography the snow piles getting smaller and jeep work getting done 😃

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2015 at 11:28am
Last weekend was productive and the Jeep is getting closer to ready for summer.

I can't wait to clean all the tools out of the back and go get some ice cream.

The body lift is out and I really like how the gap between the body and bumper closed up:

I patched the front of the toolbox and welded all of the previously bondo filled holes, then put some paint on.  The front isn't perfect, but is greatly improved.  I will get it installed soon along with the lighter weight new lid (thanks Ryan_M!).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2015 at 11:46am
I almost forgot about this progress:

This install wasn't very hard at all.  To make it fit, I dremmeled about half of the throttle lever where it dips below the bottom of the carb, then ground the intake to clear the other half.  I made a small hammer adjustment to the valve cover to clear the bowl, then rerouted the choke cable.  The push-rod from the throttle bolted up perfectly and the jeep ran fine as soon as I got some fuel in the bowl.

I need to get some more steel as all that I bought over the winter is used up, but the hood hole is going away soon!

I also need a new air cleaner.  A rough calculation from the K+N website shows I need something about 1/3 the size of that one.  At least it isn't passing over the hot exhaust manifold any more.

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2015 at 12:05pm
Looking real good. I picked up some seat frames over the weekend. They could stand to be re-covered but the frames and seat pans are good. Driver and passenger side. Any interest? I would gladly trade for some more of that apple-based elixir of yours....

Edit: I also have an assortment of hoods too if you can't or decide it's not worth the effort of repairing yours.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 11:48am
I'm interested in the seats.  My seats are definitely the most conspicuous out-of-place thing on this jeep.  We'll have to figure out something once I can use the Willys to come pick them up.
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2015 at 12:21pm
Sounds good. I will set them both aside for you. I also have a pair of the passenger seat mounting brackets that keep with them.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 12:40am
Mine has the same two holes in the Jeep logo, any idea what they were for?  I didn't fill them when I did all the body work.  I have considered filling them with epoxy when i touch up the paint from all the trail rides.
Originally posted by jeepingben jeepingben wrote:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 1:26am
For me there was a sheetmetal patch brazed and screwed using those holes.

It looks like someone bought a sheet of roofing tin, stomped it into the contours as well as they could, then screwed and brazed it.  That patch had rusted through and someone later bolted in several pieces of heavier steel from below.

The lower half of the J in Jeep was too far gone, but I am looking at running a bead to replace it.s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>