Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Orange 1946 with f-head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 11:01am
Would this be of any use to you? The rest of the toolbox is shot but you might be able to graft the "Jeep" script onto yours. I can throw it on the "going to Ben" pile and let you decide once you see it

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
jeepingben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 11:12am
Nah, the new one is all welded in (to the toolbox, it will be welded to the Jeep today if the weather stays decent).  All I need to fake is the lower loop of the J.

Thanks though.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 4:04pm
Would look great hanging on the wall...Big smile
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Would look great hanging on the wall...Big smile

That's what I was saving it for to begin with. I'll make something out of it and hang it up Smile
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2015 at 6:17pm
It would a conversation piece with all that cra...petina on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 10:12pm
I've been attacking my Jeep punch-list during every spare moment this week with the exception of Saturday:

The front output seal on the TC was changed, body bolts were installed and tightened, wiring secured, and paint then fluid-film applied.  I also cleaned a whole winter's worth of tools, junk bolts, and crud our of the cargo area.

Today I finally took it out on the road.  After a very quick run I found and fixed some small issues with the new carb, then made a longer run to the grocery store.  Unfortunately we got rained on a little, but the Jeep did great.

There is a little bondo work remaining on the passenger side cowl area and I need to do something about the engine oil leak.  Last year I did the RMS and it seemed to stop the leak for ~100 miles which gives me hope that the leak isn't from the galley-plug or cam-cover.  There is a good chance I damaged the seal on installation as it was a tight fit.  This time I will loosen the other bearing caps and see if it goes better.

The jeep looks the same so no new jeep pictures today, but I'm sure I will get some as the weather improves.

Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2015 at 10:29pm
Cool photo - I've always wanted to do that. On the way back from a Jeep hunt yesterday I made the mistake of coming through a PACKED "downtown" Kenduskeag and then was detoured around 6-Mile Falls Bridge as the actually closed Broadway. 

Great conditions for a race and even better that you got to round the weekend with a Jeep ride!
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 12:33am
The hood hole is finally closed.  It has been bugging me since day-1 and now it is fixed.

I got a couple pieces of 18ga from a local sheetmetal place earlier this week.  After bending a quarter inch lip (no room for a half inch lip) I marked it to match the hole.

I cut it with a jigsaw and did fine-tuning with a dremel.

It just has primer right now.  I need a tiny bit of bondo around the edge, then paint.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2016 at 1:12am
Winter is back and I am back to work.

The steering box has been rebuilt, but I didn't get many pictures.

Next on the list is fixing the oil leak FOR GOOD!

The problem behind the oil leak is somewhere in here:

The engine is out and on the stand.  Without measuring, I can tell that the crankshaft end-play is way out of spec. There is a little wear on the flywheel ring gear and the clutch is fairly worn.  I'm sure more issues will be found as I tear into it.

There is nothing important here, but I like the picture. The jeep looks very interested in my shovel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2016 at 4:25pm
I started tearing down the engine today.

The end play was 0.048 which seems like it would be enough to shred some rear main seals.

No peices are missing according to the diagrams I found online.  0.048 seems like a lot to just be the bearings.

The current front main bearing appears to be 0.010 under and the thrust face looks beat up to me.  Does anyone disagree?  The back of the crank timing gear also looks pretty bad.  Should I replace the timing gears?

I attempted to use plastigauge to measure a clearance, but it is clearly too cold for that to work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2016 at 4:28pm

Somehow, most of the pictures from the last post didn't show up.  Here they are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2016 at 12:12pm
I finally got the carrier that Mark W. sent me last year out of the basement and into the Jeep.  This also gave me a chance to replace the worn out leather seals with some new ones.

The crankshaft had wear on the thrust face which should explain the excessive end-play.  The machine shop I took it to has sent it to a different machine shop that can put that metal back.  I need the crank back so I can order the correct bearings before I start reassembling the engine.

While I wait I can fix the transfer case shift-rod seals, the pinion seal on the front end, and do some cleaning and painting.  The warm winter hasn't been good for skiing, but it has been good for Jeep work.
Stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2016 at 2:22pm
I have a 46 cj and have a few parts I may be able to help you with.  I'm also in central Maine.
stukall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 11:47am
The 2017 season of jeep work has begun.

It looks like I didn't get any pictures of turning two drivers side fenders into one good one.  The old inner-fender was patches riveted to patches, the new one has the hat-channel to attach to the frame.  There was 3/8ths of bondo on the old fender for no reason.  The metal on top of the fender was mostly good.  Strange.

The bigger project for this year is addressing the transmission and transfer case leaks.  Last year's work paid off in that I don't mark every parking space anymore, but the garage has quite a puddle.

Someone was in here not too long ago.  The spur gears were dressed and there was not visible wear on the pawls.  The cluster shaft rollers and ball bearings were good.  This is too bad though:

Are the novak mainshaft and input shaft worth the price difference?  The convenience of the included tools and sealed front bearing mean I will probably get their master kit either way.

I'm planning to finish cleaning the transfer case tonight to see if I need anything beyond the master kit for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2017 at 12:01pm
I just saw that I never posted the results of last years work.

The engine went in with the usual struggle.

A friend of mine who hasn't done much work on cars stopped by to help.  I'd probably still be trying to line it up if I had attempted it alone.

For the first few trips, I still saw a small rear main seal leak.  I was so mad.  I drove to the nearby napa to buy some stop-leak for the summer and found that when I got there the leak had stopped.  I still keep some stop-leak in the toolbox, but it stopped leaking after that.

CJ2As make great moving trucks for short moves.  The rear wheel wells are about as high as the tailgate on a big pickup.  It looks like I never got the pictures of it piled high with stuff onto my computer though.

Edited by jeepingben - 08 Mar. 2017 at 12:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 2:06am
This winter's work was delayed by an unexpected snowmobile engine rebuild.

The Jeep is getting new floors in the driver's side.

These don't look so bad but there are at least 3 layers.

While I'm here I'm going to undo this which was done at one point to accommodate a body-lift

Glad to know my seat belts exceed the specifications Wink

Getting down to original metal

This floor riser should clean up fine right?

The Jeep is filling up with tools and junk just like the last time I spent a winter on body-work!

I smashed together a new floor riser with part of an old wood-stove heat-shield as it was the only 16GA steel I had

Edited by jeepingben - 07 Apr. 2019 at 2:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepingben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 2:18am

Fitting the floor. I bought the 'top quality' floor pan but had to keep my old steering column hole as I didn't want to lose the option to go back to column shift some day.

Lots of banging, cutting, drilling, welding later.

This jeep was missing the cowl steps when I got it.  The passenger one was replaced a couple years ago.  Time to make this one right as well.

I put a little primer on the old metal as I had just hit it with naval jelly, but I have some 2k primer coming.  Hopefully this wears a little harder than what I used on the passenger side.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2019 at 8:36am
I laughed out loud at the jeep filling up with tools, it's all too relatable LOL 

The new floor looks Thumbs Up

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123