Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original '47 2A Color - Picket Gray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2019 at 8:40pm
I think you are going to be very happy with your choice.  I did my early '47 the same as it was the original color also.  I ended up using colors that were really close out of the Sherwin Williams Industrial and Marine line.  I still haven't figured out how to post pics worth a darn though or I would.  I guess I can send a couple directly to you if you are interested.  My wife is an art teacher and painted the wheel stripes for me.  I jacked up the jeep and turned the wheel by hand while she held a very steady hand. My serial # is in the low 8's, not far from yours.  Good luck.
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 4:32am
It would be great to see photos of your Jeep - good motivation for me while I'm finishing painting mine. I also do sign painting as a hobby, so I have some good lettering brushes to use. I was planning to brace the brush and spin the wheel too. 4 years in on my Jeep and hope to have running next spring. Thanks, my email is johnb317@sbcglobal.net
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 3:01pm
Here's a few of the '47 I had...Pickett Grey.

Dave
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 4:03pm
great looking Jeep with original accessories. Thanks for posting!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 1:14am
What type of top is that you have on there. Exactly what I want on my '47 someday
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 1:43am
It’s an original pattern top, created by JPet. He does great work!
Dave
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 3:25am

I cheated. I took a paint sample into NAPA and poured through their paint books until I found a sample that I thought matched. It happened to be an industrial coating. They use this color to paint industrial machines like lathes and big milling machines. It was single stage, so it made it easier to paint in the garage. The wheels and trim are Rustoleum Sunset Red - easy, rattle can touch ups!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 3:26am
Come to think of it, I may have been matching a sample of Potomac Gray!?
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2019 at 3:13pm
Bob, Jeep looks great - I'll have a 3A windshield on mine as well.
WOHistoryMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOHistoryMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2019 at 7:32pm
I like how few additional/later layers of paint you seem to have on it. Mine seems to have been repainted at least 8 - 10 times, but the untouched areas show Normandy Blue.

I'm a long way from paint, but any recommendations on sprayer to use? Is this something you did in your own garage, or did you take the body someplace to let them paint it for you?
Gonavy688 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonavy688 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 10:44pm
Hoping to revive this topic for some more up to date info on Picket Gray and Harvard Red. I really like that combo and my early 3A was gray originally (not sure what gray). I live southeast of Washington DC and I have called every paint supply store I can find on Google in a two hour driving radius and no one can do anything with the half dozen paint codes for each that I've been able to find online. The only place I can find is TCP Global Restoration Shop at over $150 a quart or $300+ a gallon. I'm a novice painter...I don't need to spray paint that expensive. I don't have a good paint chip to match. How has a paint color just disappeared from any modern cross reference?
People out there must have found another option. There has got to be something out there.
I drive between the DC area and CT often (I'm from CT). I'm happy to make a detour or be stop to get this paint.
Thanks in advance for the info.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Gonavy688 Gonavy688 wrote:

Hoping to revive this topic for some more up to date info on Picket Gray and Harvard Red. I really like that combo and my early 3A was gray originally (not sure what gray). I live southeast of Washington DC and I have called every paint supply store I can find on Google in a two hour driving radius and no one can do anything with the half dozen paint codes for each that I've been able to find online. The only place I can find is TCP Global Restoration Shop at over $150 a quart or $300+ a gallon. I'm a novice painter...I don't need to spray paint that expensive. I don't have a good paint chip to match. How has a paint color just disappeared from any modern cross reference?
People out there must have found another option. There has got to be something out there.
I drive between the DC area and CT often (I'm from CT). I'm happy to make a detour or be stop to get this paint.
Thanks in advance for the info.
The best bet for you to match (or get close) to the Picket Gray you are searching for is to obtain a decent sample of it and have a paint store scan the color and find a close match. The issue is that you just can't make a modern paint with a 70+ year old formula. It may not seem like it, but $300 a gallon is a bargain for paint. You didn't state what material TCP was quoting you- enamel, urethane? 

If you can't come up with a decent sample of the original paint, the alternative is to look through the color fans in a modern paint line at a paint store and select one you like- sometimes the fleet colors will be more helpful than going through all the chips for modern cars and trucks.

Or you could just go the Rustoleum route...
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Gonavy688 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonavy688 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 2:40pm
Thanks for the insight and advice! I was really hoping that someone had 'translated' the formulation/mix into modern codes because I do not have a good paint chip/reference.
I don't have much to compare for paint costs except for some prices on mid-tier 3/4 gallon cans available locally for low to mid $100s. I am all for buying quality products, no point in spending time and money restoring to spray on junk. I also understand that at some point the quality of the paint will outrun my skill level Tongue so I want to get something that's proper for the project and my experience level. I also don't want to spend all this time and money and not paint it the color I want, so maybe TCP is the way to go.
The product is acrylic urethane. They have acrylic enamel available but my understanding is that the urethane should provide a more durable/lasting finish. The enamel came in at $270ish I think.

Happy to hear from anyone that has been able to find or mix something local too. I am a ways off from painting the body Picket Gray but I will be painting the engine and wheels Harvard Red in the next month or so.

Thanks, again!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 4:36pm
The new Jeep Gladiator trucks have a dark gray that you could check out if you are just looking for 'a gray' in a modern paint.....maybe not what you are trying to do but thought I'd mention it. It would definately work with red wheels.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 6:05pm
I went the TCP Global route for Picket Gray and Harvard Red in single stage urethane and their epoxy primer. It wasn’t cheap, but the color is a good match and I’m very happy with the results. 
I’m hearing that automotive paints have really jumped in price. Good luck with your project. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 6:50pm
This grey with the Harvard red wheels is my favorite CJ color combination. 

There was a color we used on older VW Beetles called "Dove Grey" which was very close to this, and I once painted a beetle with that and painted the rims "Harvard Red". The two colors really look good together.

And yes, automotive paint prices have went way up in the last couple of years. The "Presidential Red" I want for my CJ5 in polyurethane paint is about $400 a gallon. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 19 Jan. 2023 at 6:53pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 7:06pm

My favorite colors too. 👍
Gonavy688 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonavy688 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 8:41pm
Thanks for all the info. I found a couple people who used Nason paint that they found through an old DuPont code. The paint shop found that they could drop the two letters after the numbers in the code and get a match. The Nason codes are DS123 for the Picket Gray and RS910 for the Harvard Red. Paint jobs on both the vehicles I saw looked great and seem to match other I've seen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>