Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original '47 2A Color - Picket Gray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Gonavy688 Gonavy688 wrote:

I'm a novice painter...I don't need to spray paint that expensive. 
I don't agree with this statement and would offer the complete opposite. My opinion is that a quality paint would highly benefit a novice painter as it will be more flexible and forgiving than a less expensive (read cheaper) product. Cheap paints are just that, cheap. There's a reason they're cheaper and it's because they're missing or have less of the "good" ingredients that allow paint to cover well, flow out predictably, retain gloss, etc. The most disappointing thing is to spray out a nice shiny coat of paint and then watch it "die back" days later where a good, quality paint won't do this much. After doing all the prep work for a good base and then spraying a lower grade product over it is false economy in my opinion.

The paint I sprayed on my jeep last summer was $500 a gallon and to tell the truth, it stung a bit. It was a mid-level fleet paint and worked well; I've tried to save money in the past spraying less expensive paint and it just wasn't worth it afterwards. The same goes not thinking a good spray gun won't benefit a novice. I think it will save you money as it will be easier to apply paint than a cheap gun, resulting in a better finish with less waste and aggravation.

Spraying paint isn't really that difficult, but trying to do it with cheaper products & equipment makes it harder than it needs to be. I'm sure you'll find a color you like, it's out there.

My $.02
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123