Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original Grill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original Grill
    Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:58pm
I took the grill from my '46 CJ2A to the media blaster, thinking it just needed a little cleanup.  There is also one hole that does not belong, but that could be filled.

I took it to a place that does metal work for these types of vehicles.  Mostly Dodges, MBs, and GPWs though - not CJs.

I told him what I had and asked if he could fill the hole and do some metal straightening, etc.  He said sure, but when I brought it too him he said I should get a different grill.  This is my original grill and I don't really want to not have it on the Jeep.  I would like some opinions on the amount of effort it would take to get this sorted properly.

My main concerns are with one of the grill slats, and the passenger side.  The random hole need to be filled, the parking light hole has a small tear in it.  The metal around that parking light is pretty dimpled from the bubba that tired to flatten it out, and the edge that mounts to the passenger fender is not at 90 degreed.

Take a look at these pictures and give me your thoughts.  I like in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis, in case anyone knows a metal guy that could tackle this without killing my budget.

Thanks

Edited by jgodfrey - 30 May 2021 at 9:09pm
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:12pm
Sorry, but from what I can see, it looks pretty decent. A bit of time with a hammer and dolly and it would probably look like new. Basic metal work is something that is not difficult to do. Holes and a small tear shouldn't be much of a problem if you can find someone to do a small job for you. I wouldn't be replacing that grill. 

Get some primer on it if you have not already. Fresh metal will rust quickly. Even fingerprints will harm the metal. 

Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:53pm
Yes, your grille can be fixed. I think the shop's opinion is that it would take more time to fix yours than a replacement might cost. Understanding that you want to save the original tin, what I see would be a lot of intricate, tedious metal work. Those bars are not easy to make look good once damaged and the flange around the signal hole will also take a lot of work to repair to look undamaged.

As we all know, time=$$. It all depends what you want this to look like. I see more damage than just the bar and hole repair you mention and if you want it to look great, it's going to take some time.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:18pm
I don't think it would be hard to fix that grill. Looks like a couple hours work maximum to me. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:21pm
I agree that it is easily fixable. In fact, far better than most of the stuff I tackle. Find a decent metal man.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 1:19am
An option would be to paint that up and hang it on the wall and buy a decent original grill to fix up for your project.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:58am
If I were wanting the keep the original grill to say its the original, nstead of straightening I guess I might think about replacing the offending pieces with pieces from a 'parts grill'......wouldn't be that hard to splice in a grill bar.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:19am
  The guy that told you to get another one, if he’s like a lot of those guys in the WWII section of the hobby, he believes that CJ parts are nothing but plentiful trash. He doesn’t think that any CJ or any part of one is worth saving. 
BW 

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

The guy that told you to get another one, if he’s like a lot of those guys in the WWII section of the hobby, he believes that CJ parts are nothing but plentiful trash. He doesn’t think that any CJ or any part of one is worth saving. 
BW 

I'll bet if it had been an original MB or GPW grille he would have gladly worked on it. Especially if it had been his...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:37am
 I am with Chad on replacing the the damaged area with a patch panel. 

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 2:08pm
  Smile And I think finishing out the patch would be as much trouble as repairing the damage. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 2:31pm
Either way it's fixable....IF the important thing is keeping it.

If a good one was available (to me) I'd blast it, prime and paint it and go on....nobody would be the wiser, but that's just me.

I saw a complete one(lights and all) in a little 'boutique' type antique store not long ago for $439...where they came up with that particular number I haven't a clue (what, $440 would have sounded like too much?!)Confused

But they are out there lots cheaper because that's one of those parts that survive "I'm gonna take the tub off" projects.....and "rolling chassis" sales.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 5:32pm
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get a second, and maybe third opinion on what it would cost to repair it.

Bruce and SE Kansas - you hit the nail on the head. This is a WWII shop where every bolt has to be F stamped, and every original part must be saved. Initially he said to bring it in, but after he saw it he changed his mind.

Now, this was late in the day and he seemed exhausted, so maybe he just wasn't feeling it.

Since the driver's side is straight a good metal man could use it as a reference. I found a fabricator close to me that I will call tomorrow.

The CJ does not get the respect it deserves. It's a 75 year old vehicle that is part of a very critical place in history.  It helped keep agriculture running, etc. And, most of the parts on my Jeep were made for the war effort. 

Above all of that, this one has 45 years of history with me.  That grill saw a lot of trees and mud over the years.  If it could talk, it would scream.

I get that attitude a lot from this place and the shop that rebuilt the engine. They are great to work with once ypu get past that though. They know their stuff. I just could do without them looking down their nose at it.

Edited by jgodfrey - 31 May 2021 at 5:33pm
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:07pm
That grill is VERY repairable, with a little elbow grease and patience. But, if you are looking to hang it as shop art, and get another vintage 2A grill that is  straight and sound, I might be able to help you find one for a reasonabl cost. But it would be in Central PA, so shipping might play into the picture. There are a good number of great grills out there. Let me know if you want me to put a few feelers out..
Best,
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:19pm
Why not give it a shot and see if you can do it yourself? A little patience. Thinking outside the box. Improvising and a couple of tools. With a little bit of time, you might be surprised what you can do. 

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:52pm
I might jist do that. Wvery job is an excuse to buy a new tool..

But that tear in the parking light hole is tough. I don't weld, so I'm not sure how to address that.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:40pm
You could find someone who can weld. With a TIG or MIG welder that tear would be a very easy fix, just a few minutes work to weld, and a little grinding and it would be good as new. The bashed up area around that is flat metal. A hammer and dolly can flatten that easy enough, and if it ain't perfect just a skim of filler will dress it up. 

The grill slat is also an easy fix. I would flatten the kinks a bit with a pair of pliers then make a dolly with a piece of steel rod on top to flatten in against, but you could probably do it with a piece of 3/4" plywood rounded over a bit to fit in the back of the slat, and whack it a few times with a hammer.

My advice is to give it a try, you won't make it any worse. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2021 at 10:40pm
I live in Hastings and near here is valley machine. Jess Frandrup is a super nice guy.  He machines and welds near emerald green golf course on Goodwin

Bitz. 

Post Reply Post Reply