Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original Seats
    Posted: 13 June 2018 at 3:32pm
Im looking for some assistance ( or to be pointed toward some)
I have a 1948 CJ2a and Im keen on getting the seats back to original, do you know the dimensions ( or have a plan) of the wood base? and also the material that was used on the seats so I can get as close as possible to original

Thank you !!!!

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:27pm
As original as possible? Well then you won’t be using a board you would be going with springs.
The original material was a vinyl cover that are available from many vendors. The springs are also available. If you decide on the wood part then you would be using foam as a cushion and they are also available. Board dimensions would be similar to the pan on your seats now. You can easily mock that up. Good luck.

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:44pm
I didnt know that they were all sprung, so thanks for that.

Im loooking for springs but cant find any in the UK, so might have to go with foam until I find some, so if I can get the wood the right size then I can add the springs as and when I find some.

did the covers only come in black?

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:58pm
they came black, grey, Barcelona red and tan I think.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:02pm
what’s it like shipping to the UK? I have been sending stuff quite regularly to South Africa. Sure it’s kind of pricey but if you send enough stuff it’s relative. Is it a tax or tariff or import duty thing?
eat,sleep,jeep

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:27pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 10:56pm
Walcks 4WD carries the springs. If you give him a call he might be ale to work out shipping.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 12:54pm
We end up with about 20% more for the import duty, and pick up the additional postage, that is about the same as the senders costs.

Sometimes its not picked up my customs, and we get away with it, but not often
So not great.

sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 8:37pm
can someone let me know the radius of the corners of the seat then i can get the covers made, use foam until i can locate some
e spring bases,
that would be very helpful 
thanks

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:15pm
Do you have the original seat pans? If you do, you have all you need to calculate your radius. Those pans are all you need. If you only have seat frames and no pans then yes, someone will have to get you those measurements. If you wait till I get home I'll get those measurements.
eat,sleep,jeep

sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 1:26pm
Awesome, that would help me, as i dont have the originals 
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 1:13am
If you use foam on your plywood base  go about 1” more of foam around your plywood piece that way your fabric won’t wear out on the plywood.For example if your plywood is 18”x18” your foam should be  20”x 20”.That what I did and it works great.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Do you have the original seat pans? If you do, you have all you need to calculate your radius. Those pans are all you need. If you only have seat frames and no pans then yes, someone will have to get you those measurements. If you wait till I get home I'll get those measurements.

Did you manage to find the dimensions and radius of the curve for me

thanks

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:17am
So here you go....mind you this is not metric measurements.
The seat pan is 18” x 15.5”. The radius can be determined with a 3.5” ⭕️ circle placed in each corner. Where the horizontal and vertical touch the ⭕️ you can begin the tracing to make your curved corners.
You can do this with some nice 3/4” plywood instead of the seat pan if you are going with foam. If you opt for the springs you’ll need to obtain the original style seat pans available from the usual vendors.
eat,sleep,jeep

sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:25am
That is great
thank you !!!
tonight I will be making them 
 Post Reply Post Reply