Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original tire on a 1946

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 7:44pm
Or if he still has it, a Red JK "RUDYCON"
markscj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markscj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by RA472A RA472A wrote:

Wow!  What a find.  I thought my 47 was great, but you have a really nice one there.  I'm going to make a strong bet it is a matching numbers jeep.  Check body tag, toe board gusset, and right vertical edge of the tailgate.  I'm sure they all match.  Does it have the propeller shaft shields on it?

Thanks for your suggestion, I went out and recorded the gusset and tailgate tags and looked for the propeller shaft shields.

The body tag on the firewall and the frame tag match at 61442.  This matches the Colorado title dated 5/22/2004 when the transfer took place.

The toe board gusset and the tailgate are both stamped with 49611. From what I have read after searching the posts here this number was issued by American Central Manufacturing (ACM) and started out 10,000 numbers lower than the Willy's issued serial number.  Hopefully someone can confirm this.

The engine stamp that I found is a rectangular pad above the water pump.  It is stamped J-62843B.
There is an oval raised pad on the forward right side of the engine that has a circle stamp but I can't make out what it is.  It could be tooling marks rather than a circle.

I also recorded the generator, starter and voltage regulator numbers.

Unfortunately there are no shaft shields, only a skid plate below the transmission/ TC. 

I have already had more fun with this old Jeep than any recent vehicles and I haven't even driven it around yet!
1946 CJ2A -Old Jeeps Rule
1998 Wrangler TJ-plow jeep
2018 Wrangler JK Willys Pkg.
markscj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markscj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 8:03pm
The other pair of tires mounted on the original rims are as follows.

Rear - National Cooperative Inc. Mud and Snow, 4 ply,  726C-1 and opposite 12855Z905

Front - Goodyear Farm Service, Not for speeds in excess of 20 MPH, 4 ply, XS073270 and 191404-2N

They are pretty dry rotted.  

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 10:11pm
Wow that is a nice looking Jeep
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 10:22pm
Does the "Horseless Carriage" license plate cost more or less than a collector's plate?  The collector's plate is good for 5 years; what about the H-C?  I'll need to renew my plates in February and I'm thinking of changing plates.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
markscj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markscj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2019 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Does the "Horseless Carriage" license plate cost more or less than a collector's plate?  The collector's plate is good for 5 years; what about the H-C?  I'll need to renew my plates in February and I'm thinking of changing plates.

I don't recall what Collector plates cost but for the five year plates they include all taxes associated with driving on the roadways.  These are issued by the county and include two plates.  The cool thing about Collector plates here in Colorado is that once you have them registered to your vehicle you can register with the state to run a set of old plates (in good condition) from the year of manufacturer for your vehicle.  If yous sell the vehicle the plates do not stay with the vehicle or transfer to the new owner.

The Horseless Carriage plate will cost me $12.67 to renew for a five year term. That's roughly $2.50 per year.  I believe they really pair down the taxes knowing these vehicles are not on the road much.  A vehicle must be 50 years old to have these (no problem with our Jeeps).  There is only one plate and it must be mounted on the rear.  I do not know if year of manufacture plates are allowed with this plate.  The state issues this plate.  For my area one must go in person to the State DMV in Lakewood.  I am sure the Springs has an office there.   These plates stay with the vehicle and transfer to the new owner. Since I just purchased this Willy's I will need to go to the Lakewood office and transfer the plate into my name.  The title work and county registration must be done first at the county office.

I like the Horseless Carriage plate because of the low cost and a single plate.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2019 at 5:13am
I have the Collector plates right now, but if the Horseless Carriage plate is that much less, I will go with that. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123