Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other hobbies/Addictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other hobbies/Addictions
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 2:27pm
Along with other things one of my Hobbies is collecting Model Airplane Magazines from the Era of Control Line (mid 1943 to present) to that end I have a massed over 4800 magazines. This equates to 96 shelf feet. I have them all in two large cabinets in my office. All organized by Title and Date. I have been collecting long enough that I pretty much have all the issues of the couple dozen different magazines there are to collect.

Used to be they were worth a lot of money some bringing over $100 while most averaged just $4-6.00 I made some huge deals buying whole collections from much older collectors. Now with the internet and eBay the values have dropped a lot. Not that I care I didn't buy them as an investment.

BUT the one title that has been the biggest challenge is a tiny magazine published (from what I can tell) from 1953 through 1964. I hunt on eBay for the issues I am missing and get drivin crazy when I see a couple issues I need buried in an auction for a dozen or more (so I have to pay a small fortune to get the few I need.

Well this week an Auction came up with 29 issues that it appears I need the vaast majority of them. Last night I got notified that my snipe bid had bought the auction (saying you win an auction is just silly) for the opening Bid. So to balance out the issues I have had to pay $6-8 for I got these for $1.10 each.

I can't wait to make little X's in my log book noting the new issues and of course flipping through each one.

The Magazine is called WEST COAST ASSOCIATED MODELLERS and was a news type magazine based on the West coast with news of modeling in CA to WA I have seen any number of older friends names in various issues over the years.

One of the neat things is the covers are almost all someones girl friend sister or wife holding up a model kind of very G rated Pin Ups.

Not sure what the kids are going to do with all of the magazines once I am gone but hey thats their problem LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 3:29pm
That is a lot of magazines!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 4:26pm
Oh I used to also have all the National Geographics  from like 1914 to 1990 that was 14 tomato boxes. I had started out just collecting the ones with Aviation stories and then some one offered me the whole shebang and I couldn't resist. I have since whittled them down to the ones with Aviation and stories that either relate to Oregon or something I am really interested so they are about 4' of shelf space. I also have a 3ft high stack of LIFE magazines but I sold off most of those.

OH and we can't forget the duplicate Model Airplane Magazines and the Full Scale Airplane mags that just sit in now down to 10-12 apple boxes in the shop.

I also collect Aviation Serials (books like a Hardy Boy book but based on Aviation ) these were very popular with young boys from before WWI to the end of WWII I have around 250 these sit in a very old lawyers book case in the Living room

And of course my Music collection 2600+ LPs (mostly classic rock) 600+ CD's 450+ Cassettes and now almost 250 7" reel to reel tapes. Those are also in a huge enclosed cabinet with 3) 32" doors in my office.

Then there is the Photography at one time I had 35+ 35mm cameras and a dozen or so in other formats and maybe 60 lenses thats been wittled way down now to maybe 20 35mm cameras and only a few in other formats.

And books I have hundreds covering Aviation, Biology, Outdoor camping and survival, WWII fiction and non fiction and Cars.

OH and Vintage stereo gear I have so much of that I have a floor to ceiling shelf in the laundry room to store the stuff I don't use and maybe 10 pair of speakers taking up room in the shop.

Firearms and Knives

I have a problem the wife says LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have a problem the wife says LOL

Not a big enough house

Used to have all the JP magazines but no longer have them. Obsessed with collecting Jeep toys ( 1:100 to 1:1 scale) Getting closer to selling them off to pay for stuff to get my 2A in better running and driving shape.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 8:05pm
Oddly, considering my user name, I have issues 1-60 & many more issues of "The Mother Earth News". While this seems a bit odd, I have always liked the self sustaining / DIY life style. The leftist stuff I filter out.

I have every Louis L'aMour ever written, plus a few about him. Like Mark W, I have many duplicates that I need to weed out.

My other hobbies that include collecting are just too many to list here.

I lost much of the stuff I collect to a major fire this spring. I am rethinking what I want to recollect. Maybe not much. 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 8:32pm
I'm currently enjoying rekindling the old jeep addiction, head first and with both feet.  Diversions include bowhunting turkey and deer, meat smoking/sausage making and charcuterie... literally sitting here putting together a bratwurst shopping list.

These days seems like about the only real thing I collect is unfinished projects LOL... Put an attached mudroom/garage on the house, gotta finish the rough wiring.  Wife's gardens moved, gotta finish the fence.  New septic system several years back, gotta finish grading and seeding...it goes on and on, lol Embarrassed

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 9:04pm
I like that, calling it hobbies , that sounds a lot better than calling it a bunch of junk, that is what my wife calls it. I have a "hobby" in my barn that I can hardly get through it. One of these days I will get around to it" lol.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 10:35pm
When I'm not working to pay the note on the farm or playing with jeeps, the wife and I spend what time's left with our mules and horses. The harness driving obsession began loooong before jeep disease affected us.. A couple of snow sled fotos..

Edited by RICKG - 07 Dec. 2018 at 10:39pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2018 at 10:53pm
Did this stuff for 10 years....got a new one in the garage (about 90% done)....thinking about maybe doing a vintage oval track car next ...

this is way too much fun...the weekly maintenance gets old by around July or so...

Edited by mikec4193 - 20 Dec. 2018 at 5:39pm
I am the squirrel....
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 1:32am
Started collecting the metal and plastic dealership emblems when I took the one off my $75.00 1957 Chevy in about 1970. I seem to have accumulated about 600 different one. The good thing is....they don't take up much space. The "one that got away" was a Denver Packard emblem a few years back.

Anyone else with a similar interest that has duplicates they'd like to trade?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 1:33am
WE have a couple guys at work that are into Dirt track racing. They never seam really happy LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 5:49pm
   My first engine rebuild was an .049 gas airplane engine. no rings !

Just a piston in the bore same-as the hydraulic pump on a Ferguson To-20 farm tractor.

My other hobbies is re-furbishing and operating my Husky 2100 CD & 394 XP chainsaws.

I hate to admit, but I have subscribed to 4-wheeler magazine for over 30-yrs and have finally been giving away my magazines to my son's friends, and they probably just use them for Fire-starter.

For anyone interested, I have joined an interest forum:

Arboristsite.com

The guys in the arborist forum have been a saving-grace for me to keep those saws functioning properly and my hydraulic wood-splitter too.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Greaser007 Greaser007 wrote:

My first engine rebuild was an .049 gas airplane engine. no rings !

Just a piston in the bore same-as the hydraulic pump on a Ferguson To-20 farm tractor.

My other hobbies is re-furbishing and operating my Husky 2100 CD & 394 XP chainsaws.

I hate to admit, but I have subscribed to 4-wheeler magazine for over 30-yrs and have finally been giving away my magazines to my son's friends, and they probably just use them for Fire-starter.

For anyone interested, I have joined an interest forum:

Arboristsite.com

The guys in the arborist forum have been a saving-grace for me to keep those saws functioning properly and my hydraulic wood-splitter too.

Another magazine guy??? We ought to start a support group. Like you I have a 35 year collection of Four Wheeler and 4WOR. Only now, have i begun to just give them away or recycle them. I'll keep a few old ones that are special to me.

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 6:17pm
[ /quote]

Another magazine guy??? We ought to start a support group. Like you I have a 35 year collection of Four Wheeler and 4WOR. Only now, have i begun to just give them away or recycle them. I'll keep a few old ones that are special to me.

[/QUOTE]

What no Pickup, Van and 4wheel drive magazines from the mid seventies? 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:23am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Which back issues you need?

Started taking the old 4wd magazines to give away at Spring and Fall Reunions and couldn't even give them away.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 12:30am
I had hundreds of issues-Western Horseman, Mules and More, Small Farmers Journal in cardboard boxes in the basement. An irrigation flood gave me the opportunity to dispose of all without guilt..Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 1:57am
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

I've got them all from Nov '75 until whenever it was in the '80s that Petersen Publications ruined it (even the first year or so of that,because I had just renewed for multiple years when they came in).  It was decades before I was willing to buy Petersen's 4 Wheel and Off Road (and I'm probably still a little bitter).
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2018 at 3:03am
Does anyone else remember when Granville King wrote for PV4, before he started writing in the vernacular? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>