Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other interests?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other interests?
    Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 11:05pm
I'm not sure what you guys use the Internet for, but I seem to really use it for research.... well, that and funny cat videos... but mostly research.  

I'm a fairly handy guy, as I'm sure most of you all are as well.  I did build my house doing the framing, electrical, roofing, sheetrock, etc... I love building and putting together things.  I'm the guy that the Ikea furniture gets passed to at birthday parties because I love doing that kind of stuff.  I love DIY stuff too.  When I get interested in something, or need to learn how to do something, I seem to do a lot of Googling, youtubing, and forum searching.  I remember the first forum I joined which was MN-Jeep.com, and it's not even around anymore. I used that forum to meet new people and go on some great trail rides, but the first time I needed to do some real research was when I wanted to rebuild one of my winches, so I did a lot of studying and learned how to do it.  I did build my own house, but I'm not including that since I didn't really use the internet much until after we moved onto the 20 acre lot that we're on now.

I recently started thinking about all the subjects I've done extensive research on the Internet and thought I'd jot them down to take a stroll down memory lane.  These are not just things I've googled for a few days.  These are things that I spent months doing research on, gathering tools, equipment or gear for, and learning how to do them.  They are subjects that I've gotten heavily involved in and learned a lot about over the past 23 years or so.  I remember because that's when we moved into this house and rebuilding my winch was the first real "project" I did here.

Rebuilding winches
Building climbing walls
DIY climbing holds
Building toy wagons
CNC plasma cutting/Metal art
Blacksmithing/Building forges
Building ponds
Restoring vintage jeeps
Outdoor wood burners
Gold prospecting
Building AK's
Traumatic Brain injuries
Improving Memory 
Speech impediments
Improving balance
Mosin Nagants
Getting an FFL
Building gun ranges
IDPA shooting
Reloading
Long range precision shooting
AR15's
3 gun competition
Battle belts
Bushcrafting
Time-lapse photography
Editing videos for YouTube 
DSLR video
Powered paragliding
Quadcopters
Setting up treasure hunts
Cipher codes
Pistol caliber carbines
DIY 2x72 Belt grinders
Cleaning skulls
LED lighting 
Vinyl cutters
Chainsaws/Logging/forestry
Tree climbing/Arborist
Zip lines
Building suspension bridges
Stone carving
Restoring snowshoes
Pinstripe art

I'd love to hear what kind of topics you have learned about from the internet!

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 11:34pm
Well, for starters, a lot about our jeeps. Building a sawmill. Arborist skills, from tree identification to complex rigging systems to remove zero clearance trees (includes understanding dynamic loads on ropes, anchor points, knot strength and appropriate use). Stick welding. Flux core welding. Types of bearings and their applications. Same for finishes. Same for metals. Trad bow hunting, specifically Elk hunting. Types of trad bows, differences in materials, performance, arrows etc. 

And on and on.  The take away is learning how to parse out the bs from solid info. Not too hard once you get going on a subject.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2023 at 12:03pm
I'm one of those "master of none" types for sure, so YouTube and Google have become a lifestyle. I know a little bit about a lot of things. Most recently I've been learning all about Willys Jeeps, of course. Rebuilding T90s, Dana 18s, Dana 41/25 axles, DIY brakes (very exciting when you do it wrong!), cutting swedges on hubs BEFORE you press studs out, manually mounting tires on wheels, etc. 

That lead to learning how to edit video for YouTube, as well as the associated soft skills for video editing, like chroma key, image editing for video thumbnails, overlays, text effects, layers, audio editing, using compression, normalization, and noise reduction to make a cheap mic sound better, etc.

And maybe someday... I've been watching a bunch of channels that cover things about homesteading, like site prep/clearing land, laying cinder block walls, concrete forms, pouring concrete, building foundations, framing, plumbing, electrical work for the novice, roofing and siding, drywall, etc.

I do IT for a living so one must learn to Google things effectively to solve new problems. So for my job, that has included virtualization, VMWare/HyperV, networking, iSCSI storage, OS images, and Linux. (This was a huge thing for me since I've been a Windows guy for a long time. I actually prefer bash now.) I even learned to do some board level repairs to revive broken hardware.

Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Panama Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panama Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2023 at 3:29pm
My searches include
 - Audio-video home theater tech. I have built, and continually try to improve my basement theater. 
 - Foodie stuff, I love competitive cooking (Chili especially!) and new recipes to experiment with.
 - Anything automotive.
 - Wherever my fevered fingers lead me!
48 CJ2a #192968
2001 TJ Wrangler
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2023 at 6:38pm
I think a lot of people would suddenly be screwed if (when?) the internet vaporizes.
Or the power goes out....
LOL
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oilstretcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilstretcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 12:09am
In Victorian times you would be known as a Renaissance ManSmile
Old Newbie
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Oilstretcher Oilstretcher wrote:

In Victorian times you would be known as a Renaissance ManSmile
Thanks, but me thinks you give me too much credit.
Cro-Magnon Man is more like it. LOL
1951 M38
1951 M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 11:50pm
Willys
Firearms
Hunting and Fishing
Camping and Adventuring especially combined with Photography,  Astronomy, Jeeping
PHOTOGRAPHY
Astronomy
Reloading
Vintage Stereo equipment
Collecting LP's CD's Cassettes, R2R tapes
Control Line Model Airplanes
Collecting model airplane magazines
Books
Tools my shop
Silverton OR memorabilia
Art.
And other stuff
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2023 at 7:18am
Jeeps, 3 jk’s, 47 cj2a, 41 mb(gone)
Building and playing banjos
Metal working
Welding
Fixing anything 
Electrical, commercial, residential, controls, electronics
Fabrication 
Fixing cnc machines
Hvac
Scuba diving
Vegetable gardening
Blacksmithing