Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outside Mirror Location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside Mirror Location
    Posted: 18 Nov. 2021 at 4:00pm
            My 2A came with a homemade mirror bracket made out of the steering column "U" strap and part the original mirror post which has broken off now. I have collected the correct parts to build it right, but being I have a Jeep with one of the new bodies I don't know exactly where I should drill to make it look as right as possible. The new bracket has 6 holes, the old homemade one only 2 which I don't think are near the right place. Just to be clear I'm working on the "out-side" mirror. Any help, or a link would be a real help!!           Thanks    Rod
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2021 at 9:39pm
This is one of the closer pictures I have of the mirror.

I can get measurements tomorrow if you want

I'm not sure if your body tub has the same lines or if you have the same mirror

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2021 at 11:38pm
Did you look under the dash on the inside of the cowl for a reinforcement plate?  Should be straddling the seam.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 8:38am
             I want to thank both of you for the replies, the photo gives me enough to get it in the right place, I do have the same mirror. The look under the dash was disappointing as I find no reinforcing spot welded anywhere. By anywhere I'm saying the windshield pivot has none either & I'd say the windshield causes more stress in that area than the mirror! I can make up a reinforcement for both~
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 11:31am
here is what i have. but i do not know if either are in the factory location.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 11:40am
also maybe look here though most of the images are not there as this is a very old post. and unfortunately one of the posters has passed away.

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 1:33pm
               Thanks to all who helped, it's on, looks good, and even works - My only issue is that all the hardware is metric, sure, I have all the tools in both inch & MM but who wants a mix on one vehicle, guess I'll have to find some inch size bolts to fit but they also used a 3mm allen to lock the telescoping tube!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 2:24pm
I'm not sure if mine had reinforcements behind the sheetmetal so I can look when I get home for that as well
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 2:36pm
  Any vendor who sends me jeep parts that require metric tools to install or use gets the product back with instructions to deposit it where sunlight will not get on it. If we accept this crap they’ll just keep shoving it off on us. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 2:38pm
I agree, I wont put up with metric on my jeep, I dont have metric tooling either. I wont use metric hardware and if I get some like I did in my exhaust kit, its melted for scrap
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 4:19pm

The inside shot shows the two bottom bolts just below the bottom edge of the dash.  The other two are above that body seam.
Dave
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2021 at 5:22pm
I too have gotten metric hardware from venders and have not bought from them again and walcks is one of them even then a lot of people like them.
Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply