Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overdrive???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFBRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overdrive???
    Posted: 27 June 2021 at 11:59am
I wanted to get some thoughts on the idea of adding overdrive to our CJ3A.  My wife inherited her father's CJ3A a few years back.  He had done a frame of resto-mod on it in the early 1980s.  At that time, he installed a ford 2.0L (pinto engine) in the Jeep.  It was my understanding the reason he did this was he was looking for a better highway motor as they were living in AZ with bigger distances between things.  I believe this was a common swap at the time.  The Jeep served them as a daily driver for a while and then became a hunting jeep before finally being parked.

As her father passed, we decided to do a restoration on it while paying homage to him and his modifications.  What that means is we are taking it back to its original color but leaving the engine and some of his fabrication on the vehicle.  As it will still be a resto-mod at completion, I was contemplating adding an overdrive. I wanted to get some thoughts from others with more experience than myself.  I understand the Ford 2.0L is a high revving motor thus the reason for the original install.  As such, is the overdrive necessary due to this engine swap or is this just belts and suspenders?  My thought is this will make it a much better driver despite the motors high revving abilities.

I realize the many purists will be appalled at keeping the engine swap but it is our tip of the hat to him!

Thanks 

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 12:11pm
When operating at hiway speed , ideally you want the engine operating at its maximum torque output.
As I understand it some (perhaps not all) of the pinto engines produce maximum torque at 3200 rpm. 
According to Grovers Willys Speed Calculater, 3200 will allow you to cruise at xx mph with standard 28” tires and 5.38 gears.
53 mph without OD 66 mph or with OD.
You can fine tune the engine rpm/ exact speed via tire diameter

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 12:12pm
It revs higher but lowering that 'buzz' will feel better at highway speeds (60-65)

Mine was an automatic but the buzz will be the same with either tyranny.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
AFBRAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFBRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2021 at 12:28pm
Thank you both.  I was unaware of the speed calculator.  What a handy tool!  I played around with it and it does appear a better ride.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply