Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overlanding with a T3-C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overlanding with a T3-C
    Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 3:31pm
Stock Bantam T3-C complete with bows and canvas.
Currently undergoing restoration.
Looking for innovative ideas for mounting a spare and a couple of jerry cans (water or fuel).
Also wondering if anyone has mounted the tailgate with a pair of Willys tailgate hinges so it’s removable.

Edited by oldtime - 09 Mar. 2023 at 3:32pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 5:14pm
I’ve seen others where they take those WWII gas can jeep holders and mount them on the front and/or sides.  That’s my game plan. Here is a video showing one. 

Edited by mickeykelley - 09 Mar. 2023 at 5:22pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 7:52pm
I agree that’s likely the ideal location for jerry cans. 
I think the WWII holders on Youtube appear to be mounted notably lower than required.
That tarp hook tends to get in the way of raising the jerry up high.
I have not ruled out the idea of mounting the Jerry’s on the tongue area.
But first the spare mounted location will effect that decision.
Tailgate mounted spare is out; so the spare must lie under the tongue area or on top the tongue either flat or vertical.

Edited by oldtime - 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:04pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:12pm
On my "working" trailer,  I mounted a '2A tailgate,  using '2A hinges,   but you probably mean -> has anyone mounted a T3-C tailgate with '2A hinges?    

I have done some fairly extreme trails with this trailer,  but another mod is that it has lunette ring in place of stock coupler.  
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:27pm
Right I have the T3-C tailgate but the hinges are shot and so thinking about using the cast Willys lower hinges.
Hopefully the chains don’t come loose and cause the tailgate to bounce itself out of the open type hinges.
Being way back on the trailer, one likely would not see the problem emerge while driving.
So have you had any problems with Bantam tailgate “S” hooks bouncing loose ?
I have had a problem using Bantam cheapie chain hooks; so I made a set of longer chain hooks that resemble the Willys hooks.

Edited by oldtime - 09 Mar. 2023 at 8:49pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 10:14pm
Wavian sells a 2.5 gallon 10 liter gas can just like their NATO can that would fit real nice I think mounted to the side of a trailer like that. Yes less fuel but a better fit.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2023 at 11:16pm
I’ve thought about mounting a spare horizontal under the trailer between the bed and axel or behind the axel, but haven’t gotten under to measure. Would be a pain to get to if you need, but that’s the location for lots of vehicles including my Suburban and Avalanche
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 6:53am
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

Would be a pain to get to if you need, but .....

I believe the way I would look at it is if I needed a spare I'd use the jeep spare first to get me to some help then if the scenario was bad enough I'd need a second spare, then, go to the trouble of accessing the under slung mounted spare. Hopefully you won't be in a situation where you would need two spares back to back.

That said, I'm sure someone is going to tell us their flat tire horror story.Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 9:20am
My issue is that I pull "Tubby" behind my Suburban all the time taking firewood from home to the cabin and going camping so I need a spare just for the trailer at all times. If out with it behind Willie, I’d definitely use the jeep spare first.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 9:33am
Yes seriously toying with the idea of a low mounted spare so long as ground clearance is minimally effected. 
Think I’ll crawl under today to position a spare and snap a couple pics.

Zero aftermarket parts

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 10:07am
I have a mounted 15 gallon water tank under the rear of the bed. Tucks in nicely.
I have an aluminum box mounted on the tongue that contains the small motorcylce battery that powers the 12v RV water pump thats mounted underneath on the frame. Water is discharged thru a hose with a sink spray nozzle on the end at the left rear of the trailer. A toggle switch turns the pump on/off. I have used this set-up for over 25 years with no issues.
I have had no issues with the tailgate hooks coming out of place.
I only carrry the 1 spare tire on the back of the Jeep; the Jeep and trailer all have the same wheels/tire size.
Good luck Ken with whatever you decide.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 10:41am
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

My issue is that I pull "Tubby" behind my Suburban all the time taking firewood from home to the cabin and going camping so I need a spare just for the trailer at all times. If out with it behind Willie, I’d definitely use the jeep spare first.

Another option could be a wheel adapter to fit the Suburban spare to the trailer.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 11:10am
I'm also using my jeep spare as the trailer spare (same 15" size).  Found out from another 3B owner that did have a couple of flats driving to a Reunion, his trailer ran just fine on a flat (of course he wasn't hauling a full load of fire wood!).  I think all he was hauling was luggage and spare parts/tools.

I like the idea of undermounted spare - especially if gas/water cans mounted on the front (adding to the tongue weight).  I suspect the tire behind the axle would help balance a bit.  I've seen several over on the g503 trailer section.  This approach seems good:
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 11:16am
I have 2 stainless Jerry’s for water and I think this position is the best way to mount them.

Edited by oldtime - 10 Mar. 2023 at 11:18am
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 12:02pm
Jerry’s are designed to set upright so I’m going with this…..
It shifts the weight back toward the axle and less room for foreward slosh or surge when braking. 
The bottom of jerry is 2” above the leaf spring.

Edited by oldtime - 10 Mar. 2023 at 12:03pm
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 1:45pm
Thanks Rus. 
Yeah I think a tire hoist mounted behind the axle is going to provide the best and easiest access.
That leaves room to strap my cooler down on the trailer tongue.

Zero aftermarket parts

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 2:32pm
That stainless jerry can is sweet!  Where did you get it from?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 5:21pm
From eBay a while back.
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply