Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint...Again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint...Again
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 8:15am
Search results on Google bring me back here but most questions are from a while back.

So...I have a 48.  I really like the original 46 Pasture Green with Autumn Yellow wheels with a Pasture Green stripe on the wheel.  From what I've researched colors changed throughout the years, but I'm thinking you could still get the older (by 2 years) colors.  My 48 already has what I'd think is Autumn Yellow wheels, but was maybe the pine green body(?).

The CS-163 Dupont code  that matches up to the original DQE-40176-DAL code looks almost olive drab (military)...which is not the light flat green that the original DQE-40176-DAL code looks like.

For a modern automotive paint that is the light flat green shown on the KW's page for pasture green...anyone have a good paint code and where to get it? 

Edited by JayBob - 17 Sep. 2019 at 8:17am
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 2:16pm
JayBob,
Have you visited this page (incl links)?

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 7:01am
Check out Andy’s build.
He just painted his really close to ‘pasture’ green.
He’ll give you the paint code I’m sure.

15 Field RCA
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

JayBob,
Have you visited this page (incl links)?

Thanks Rus, guess I should poke around the site a little more...lol.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

Check out Andy’s build.
He just painted his really close to ‘pasture’ green.
He’ll give you the paint code I’m sure.

Thanks!

Jay
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 8:13pm
Tarawa green (maybe a truck color) or the dark Emerald green is the correct green color for a 48.  The wheel color is still in question, as far as I can tell. I’ve heard Wake Ivory with a black stripe (that what I’m going with), Black with an ivory stripe, and Yellow with a black stripe, could be correct.

Edited by Hamhog - 18 Sep. 2019 at 8:47pm
Dave
Willysaurio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysaurio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 3:33am
Donde podria conseguir pintura harvest tan para poder pintar mi willys??
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

Tarawa green (maybe a truck color) or the dark Emerald green is the correct green color for a 48.  The wheel color is still in question, as far as I can tell. I’ve heard Wake Ivory with a black stripe (that what I’m going with), Black with an ivory stripe, and Yellow with a black stripe, could be correct.

My original tub and tins are probably that emerald or pine green color...and I'm not a big fan of it.  My wheels are pretty close to or are Autumn Yellow (maybe Michigan Yellow)...but when I pressure washed them there is a red and also a white layer underneath...lol.  I don't want my Willys to look like a John Deere.

From what I've been reading, the original 46's were pasture green or tan, and as the years went by more colors and combinations were added...sooo...was it possible you could have gotten a new 48 with pasture green?

I just really like the light flat green...lol.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2019 at 5:44pm
You can also get the paint from Beachwood Canvas
 https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/order/productlist.cfm

won't be cheap but
They will have the most accurate colors I think..
Where I got mine for the body..just did some tests with it.
46 CJ2A 17573 Sioux Falls SD
Link to Photos of Restoration
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuQgE9e
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 2:20am
https://www.thecj2apage.com/history.html

This page talks about colors and years for each. Pasture Green was discontinued in 46.  In the end, it’s yours, paint it the color you like. Thumbs Up
Dave
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 5:20am
From what I have gleaned about the Willys dealerships, I would guess that if you wanted a discontinued paint color, & it was a "Deal Breaker", the dealership took care of you. Even if that meant repainting the entire rig.

So, did a 1948 CJ come from Willys with Pasture Green? No.
Could you buy a 1948 CJ in Pasture Green? Heck Yeah! No problem, what color do you want the wheels to be? Purple wheels? No problem.
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 8:13am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

From what I have gleaned about the Willys dealerships, I would guess that if you wanted a discontinued paint color, & it was a "Deal Breaker", the dealership took care of you. Even if that meant repainting the entire rig.

So, did a 1948 CJ come from Willys with Pasture Green? No.
Could you buy a 1948 CJ in Pasture Green? Heck Yeah! No problem, what color do you want the wheels to be? Purple wheels? No problem.

Love it!

But now I'm starting to think like I shouldn't be an a*hole to the dealership even though I like it.  It's 1948, I should go with what was offered and learn to like it...lol.  I don't want to buy a crappy two year old model on the lot that's still a cross between the WWII MB and the new 46 CJ for the farm...I had a great corn harvest after the war and want to buy new...so...grrrr.

I'm "trying" to stay time period, however, my Agri-Jeep has been officially retired as a farm Jeep and converted to a purely civilian Jeep of the time period.
 Post Reply Post Reply