Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting Wheels (Inside)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting Wheels (Inside)
    Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:15am
Hi all,

I have a set of wheels that I plan to paint OD on the outside but I don't think the available xylene OD paints are very durable for the inside of the wheel, i.e. , over the safety humps. My beads take some abuse from being off-road and aired down. I have tried using POR-15 on the inside of the wheels but it eventually wears off the safety humps and makes things worse. Does anyone have a suggestion of a primer/paint that might hold up best?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this question has already been answered. I did a search but I did not find information on my specific question. Maybe I typed in the wrong phrase. IDK.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:47am
Powder coat finish might be best option. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 9:48am
Sandblast and paint with this.
No top coat required and you can’t hardly knock it off with a hammer.

Another product.
I have not tried this but hear it’s very good is called Aluthane.

Edited by oldtime - 09 Aug. 2022 at 10:00am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2022 at 10:02am
Jpet
 I have been very happy over the years with the Gillespie coating paint available in gallons, or rattle cans. I painted my early CJ5 back in 2000 with the WWII earl color olive drab, paint adheres well with lillte or no prep and is very durable. When I bought my CJ3B back in '09, I sprayed it on with a HF el cheapo gun, using the Gillespie Vietnam semi gloss darker OD paint.  Paint is available at QTM on ebay or can be bought online at Quarter Ton Military in Lafayette GA.  Great jeep people to deal with.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Sandblast and paint with this.
No top coat required and you can’t hardly knock it off with a hammer.
where do you get it from?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 5:17pm
I'm the same, I use Gillespie spray paint for 33070 and I can't say enough. 
Barely needs any prep, dries fast and takes the sun/weather and mud really well. I can only think of a few instances where the paint failed in small spots but that was my own fault

Also easy to cover up scratches or ships as it blends well together 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 6:22pm
I’m fine with the Gillespie paint for the outside and I’m not too worried about the outside of the wheels. They are going to get scratched up anyway. I’m looking for some good protection for the inside that won’t chip. I don’t want leaky beads.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 6:38pm
I went back and read your original post and now I see what you're saying, although I can't really think of a solution that'll survive what you run through.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 7:14pm
Jeff, you can buy it direct from Southern Polyurethane Inc.
I think there in Georgia.
Another really good silver colored primer is called Aluthane. 
I have not used any myself. But hear it’s air cured and once open sure to set up. So you have to get it out of can without letting air in if you plan to use small qty at a time.

Edited by oldtime - 18 Aug. 2022 at 7:19pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 7:49pm
I would look into the black oxide processes. 

Edited by jhg - 18 Aug. 2022 at 7:50pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
 Post Reply Post Reply