Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting
    Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 7:46pm
I have been painting a few things about here to practice with the HVLP guns my wife got me for Christmas. They are cheap but seem to work just fine.

My question is that when I paint stuff, I get streaks in the paint, like maybe not complete coverage. Seems to be on dark colors more than light, but maybe I just see it better. What can I do to avoid that?

If you are coming to the reunion, you'll see it on the toolbox on my trailer.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2017 at 9:49pm
Well, some pics might help.  Generally the issues can be varied.  Paint too thick.  Paint too thin.  Surface improperly primed or has grease on it. Also air pressure too low, or nozzle gummed up.  Like I said, pics may narrow it down.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 12:06am
Are you trying to do thick full cover coats in one shot? Try a few light coats on top of each other maybe?
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 1:00pm
I'll see if I can get pics of what I'm talking about. Might be a little tricky.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2017 at 4:25pm
Sounds like maybe the "tiger stripes" that are common to spray-can paint jobs. If so, it's a matter of not enough overlap on passes, not a wide enough spray fan, paint too thin at the edges of the fan. You've got to watch your "wet edges", and make sure they meet and in fact, overlap.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 3:41am
That is probably what it is. Kinda dark in the garage too so it's hard to see what I'm doing.

Adjusting the fan sounds like what it needs.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 5:05am
........and adjusting the light. No good excuse to not have bitchin' lighting in the shop when doing stuff like painting.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 8:39pm
Yeah, get some of those "fluorescent" LED light fixtures.  They're GREAT!!  They give more light than fluorescents and they DON'T flicker when it's cold.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:10pm
Hold the gun up in decent light and give it a squirt and check the spray pattern. Sometimes looking at it sideways you can see a spot in the fan caused by crud somewhere. I try to alternate directions from coat to coat too.

Edited by leecarr - 30 Apr. 2017 at 9:12pm
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 2:15am
   Bruce may have hit the nail on the head !

I will chime in with this one.
If you don't have a air pressure guage at the gun, then if you are using a 50-ft hose, you need to be showing about 55-lbs at the regulator guage.
Then take a paint stick ( about 1/8-in x 1-in x 12-in ) and thin the paint as instructed on the paint can and dip it into the mix. Stir the paint, and then pull the stick out holding it over the can, ... and count 1 to 10 and when the paint stops running off the end of the stick you should be at 10. (when the paint goes from a run-to-a-drip)
So, if you get to the 15-count, then add thinner. (it's too thick)

Next, put paint in the gun and outside in good-light Spray a Test-panel.

As Bruce suggests, move gun fairly slow and over-lap by 1/3 the previous swath.

IF the paint is going onto the surface, if it is mottled, then your mix is too thick. Also, too, while spraying a swath, reach over and play with the pressure knob, and the fluid feed knob.

Good-Lighting is a MUST !

I have done my bestest paint jobs right outside the garage.

My Worst paint jobs were the one's I tried indoors. ... not good.

Outside in the sun, you will be able to see your swath of paint lay onto the surface as you spray it. ...... steady-it-goes .. take your time.

Several thin coats are much better than One-heavy saggy-baggy.

Read closely the directions on the paint can, and it will tell you the "tack-time" between coats. ( tack-time ) is the time you allow for the solvents to evaporate out of the paint surface to mask over it for another layer of paint for a scheme. Gently touch your finger onto the new paint on top of masking tape to see if it is "gooey" or "sticky".
   If gooey, then wait more time. Have a smoke, then test again.
When the paint is tacky or sticky, then happily lay on another coat.

I go 3-light coats with clear hardner mix in the 3-rd coat.
   (with Acrylic single-stage) (two-stage is the color coat then clear coat )
   ( that is what was taught me by an Old-Auto-Body-Guy ).

You have to keep moving, but take your time and be patient. have a smoke.
   ( that is what the old guy said, have a smoke between coats )

Plan ahead, your starting point and ending point for overlap.

Moisture separators normally don't work worth a hoot. Here is a trick taught to me by an airplane painter.
   Take a women's Kotex and stuff it into the moisture separater bowl as an Absorber. .... it works !   and is affordable to replace.
Cheese-cloth would work in my mind too.

you will have more Fun than a Barrel-of-Monkeys

Hope this may help

Len
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 3:09am
While you guys are on the subject, what would cause the paint to come out in pulses? old devilibuss gun and rustoleum, Thanks in advance Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2018 at 3:05pm
old devilibuss gun and rustoleum
I think you may have answered your own question here, take the gun completely apart and clean it out.

If you think that the gun is clean enough to not be the issue, try tightening the packing on the fluid needle just a bit. Sometimes a loose packing will cause this on a siphon gun. On the plus side, there are replacement parts available for a name-brand gun like your DeVilbiss.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2018 at 11:00pm
Thanks! otto. Never been much of a painter, usually bartered welding for painting. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 5:35am
I have done a ton of painting all out side with very good results. I suggest painting early in the morning before it gets windy or hot. never spray on hot metal ,never spray with the threat of rain.
high humidity could be a problem. I spray generally epoxy primers and polyurethane top coats.
two component paints generally set up dry to the touch before night time threat of moister which could dull a shiny surface. my gun of choice is a older siphon style Sharp (mfg)gun. lays down a lot of paint wide pattern. Best advise is to lay down a lite tack coat ,wait 5 minutes lay down a wet coat.
don't even think of spraying in a closed space such as a garage,you will kill your self with paint fumes
plus lack of good light.   painting is fun good prep work is a PITA.
gearwrencher
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 5:04am
Also make sure the cap on the cup is open when you go to paint.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply