Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Brakes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking Brake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking Brake
    Posted: 30 Oct. 2006 at 10:49pm
In rebuilding my e-brake I accquired 3 backing plates all bendix with the same part # but each of the stampings for the #'s are different; the plates are the same. Sure this will come up on other parts as well. How do we handle this?

Never mind, this would be covered under variations.

Edited by westforkboyd - 30 Oct. 2006 at 10:51pm
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2006 at 10:51pm
Take photos and post them, hopefully those in the know will set us straight.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2006 at 7:03am
Would there be any place for other possible uses for the part..IE other sources besides 2A's you might find a particular Widget?

For example on the military jeeps you can find the gages on certain Dodge trucks...

Like "also used in MB's" for w/s arms?

or same as 3A part number xxxxxxxx

Just a thought.. might be tooo complicated..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2006 at 2:40pm
This may or may not be the area for this but, would it be possible to implement some kind of a search engine? For example: Say I want to find out some technical information about which seats are correct for a 2A vs. a 3A or other models. It would be great to be able to type in "Seats", and have all the posts that contained information about seats come up without having to "Weed Out" all the other posts. It would probably require us to focus on how we word our topics for the search to work accurately but, would sure be a nice feature. It would be great when you're in a hurry and don't have time to enjoy surfing around the forum. Just a thought.
Thanks, Scott
67 GTX
Kubota RTV 900
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2006 at 7:44pm
F Bill, Scott,
These are all things that that should be addressed here. Multiple uses for a part, additional info on a part..ect. This is the same type of forum that your used to, The difference is, any post should bring to light some new or undisclosed info on it, and bring new discussion. I think this is something that has to have a base info thing to be expanded on over time. I would think that if the original post would start with "seats" The search engine would come here and this would be the spot for the most known info on them, with pics and part #'s and when that may have changed. This should be the library of the most up to date data we know. Comparisons to like parts are geared to this post as well, This is to visually and literally find out what is correct for your Jeep. 
I can see with each of these posts there may be 20, 30 responses before something is pinned down and everyone finds consenses.
This isn't just for a list of part #'s, It's about what is correct for your Jeep and Ser. #
Gary
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 9:19pm
Just a note here. In the "Parts List" the parking brake is covered under the heading.."TRANSFER CASE" as far as the parts project.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

oink01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oink01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 8:27pm

I've got a 1948 CJ2A I completely rebuilt.  When I got it, it didn't have a parking brake.  I've got the parts but can't quite get the brake to "bite".  Do you have any ideas that may help?  The manual's pretty vague on specifics.  I'm hoping to get some pictures of how the e-brake cables are mounted in the engine compartment and underneath.  My Jeep's in Cherry condition with that exception of the e-brake.   Can anyone help me out?

Thanks...

Todd

anthonyohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonyohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2008 at 7:02pm
I'll try to get some pictures of the cable posted tomorrow.

I'm trying to get a set of brake shoe linings for my '48 cj-2a

Any ideas?
oink01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oink01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2008 at 3:57pm

Antony...

Go to NAPA.  I got new pads, brake cylinders and  brake hoses there.   Also, Willys Overland of Ohio has parts, too.  I think one of the guy's name is ..hmmmm....Gerry.  Both NAPA and Willys have supplied me with a lot of parts.  I did a complete rebuild.

Let me know if this helps.

Todd

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2009 at 6:36pm
Parking Brake reference photo:

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
oink01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oink01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2009 at 10:35am
Ralf,

Thanks for the parking brake pictures.  What I'm looking for is how the brake cable is anchored... starting from the handle on the dash to where the cable goes into the parking brake itself.  I've got my cable connected to the parking brake  handle, but the parking brake isn't "grabbing".  Maybe I just have too much slack in the cable.  I'm not sure but wanted to ask the group before I damaged my brake cable and had to get another.

Thanks for all your help.

Todd
Cedar Rapids, IA
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2009 at 10:20pm
Todd, do you have the pivot arm or lever that bolts under and behind the drum?  There is also a firewall bracket that I have seen discussed elsewhere on this site.  My E-brake parts are tagged and bagged so I can take pic of the uninstalled parts.  I replaced my dash and most of the firewall so eventually I will have to figure this out.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2009 at 10:23pm
As Gary said above see Transfer Case heading for good pics of both ends of the system.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2010 at 1:24am
Hi Folks,
Here are the 'special' Hex Head Cap Screws used to hold the E-Brake Drum to the Rear Companion Flange. Short threaded so no threads go through the drum or flange. The heads lock against the lip on the inside of the drum to keep them from turning while securing the nuts on the companion flange.

Group 24-01

They are Part # A-6084, 3/8 x 24 x 1 3/8"
Heads are marked, R 8637
Spicer # SP-6-73-122

Edited by Howard - 03 Jan. 2010 at 4:54pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
Willyscrazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willyscrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2016 at 3:46am
Kaiser Willys Auto supply parts for 1941-1971 Jeep & Willys they got it all
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Willyscrazy Willyscrazy wrote:

Kaiser Willys Auto supply parts for 1941-1971 Jeep & Willys they got it all

I just finished installing my e-brake today as a matter of fact.  I ordered the Willys drum bolts, but they were actually just under 1/4" shorter than my OEM - so I stuck with those.  Those bolts are just barely long enough to go through the drum, the rear flange and the yolk flange.  Even with the pinion nut up near 200 lbs, will be just enough room for the nut and MAYBE a split washer.  Might have to go with a star washer instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply