Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts is Parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts is Parts?
    Posted: 27 July 2005 at 9:29pm

I'm making final preparations to rebuild my L-134 and am wondering if I have made the best choices on some parts.  The shop who is going to do my machining has given me some advice on parts brands.  I don't remember all the specifics, but he did mention "you need to buy good rings ... for what little money they cost, you will save a hell of a lot later".  He then ran through a bunch of brands.  Me being new to all of this, I recognized none except Grant Piston Rings ... he mentioned that these were the cheapest, worst rings you could buy.  Sure enough, when I went home and checked my new parts stash (all stuff ordered from Walck's), I had Grant piston rings.  I also have Sealed Power pistons. 

My question is, "does anyone have brand name suggestions for good (brand name rings, pistons, bearings etc. for engine rebuilds?".  If the Grant rings really are junk, no big deal ... not a lot of money here. 

This is a very open ended question, but any advice you have will be appreciated.  Also, any bad luck stories with certain brands of components will also be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Dale

Post Reply Post Reply