Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:01am
So with the wheel well moved 2” the tire makes contact?
My concern was the tire hitting after the seat mod. 
Not the sides of the wheel house but the front of it. 
Sorry I have a hard time typing exactly what I’m thinking Confused
Thanks 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:16am
Sorry, I misunderstood. The tire rubs the wheelwell on the inside only, not the portion that was sectioned. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2020 at 4:28am
Thanks!
I’ve been researching and looking at pictures and remembered yours so I reread your build, and you run big tires so I wanted your input on clearance before I cut mine out. 
Thanks a bunch. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2020 at 8:03pm

With the vintage camper van's 6 cyl engine now completed and off the engine stand, I pulled the engine out of the black jeep.

It took me the better part of a week to get the head bolts out of the block, mostly because this was a boat engine and the bolts go into the water jackets. What a delightful design feature! Even with 120 psi line pressure and my impact gun turned up to 11, four of the bolts wouldn't budge. Over time, I could get the remainder of them to come out one by one; but it was a struggle.

Once the head was off, there was the expected burnt valves, worn guides and krusty water jackets. This was dropped off at the machine shop yesterday where they are getting very familiar with my debit card.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 3:06pm
Just got the head back from the machine shop, I needed to source a replacement when the head I was running had a crack between the valve seats. A lot of the parts in this engine are common Chevy items which can be obtained inexpensively which takes a little of the sting out of this project. The 1.94/1.6" valves only cost $5 a piece.

The short block is getting the rings and bearings replaced (which are also common and cheap Chevy parts) and are en route. I split the manifolds yesterday to replace the gasket between them and found a large crack in the rare-as-hens-teeth exhaust manifold; fun.

I am so sick of working on engines and completely sick of cast iron at this point; I would much rather be focusing on body and paint work.

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 4:03pm
Keep going Big smile
It will all be worth it Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 3:08pm
The long block is back in the jeep. The bottom end got a re-ring and bearing treatment and was fairly reasonable cost-wise. Rings were for a 350 V8 and under $5 each/cylinder and 350 rod bearings were under $3 per rod. Mains were the most expensive at $50 set, but that was a 6 cyl set so there were extras. Gotta love GM mass production and interchangeability!

After honing, I took the block outside and flushed out the water jackets. Handfuls of rust and scale (former block materials) came out and I had some concerns about the loss of "vital crud" as Click and Clack used to say. I didn't want to invest in a block that may develop a rust pinhole and fail so it got buttoned up as-is; fingers crossed it lasts for a while. If it fails, I'll replace it with the spare 153 in the corner.

The exhaust manifold's crack seems to be getting worse every time I look at it. I showed it to a local welding professional who said to start looking for a replacement as his repair would be temporary and $$. Some forklifts use this engine so I'm investigating some leads in that direction. If that doesn't pan out, I may have to fab something up.

I put the marine alternator cover on because-why not?

Edited by otto - 10 Feb. 2020 at 8:22pm
48 CJ2A
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2020 at 3:41pm
Looking good, I love the Click and Clack reference that has to the best radio show ever. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2020 at 2:56am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

It's been a while since the black jeep got some love, sitting in the shop all winter. I thought I would tackle a task that's been bugging me for a long time- the seats. They started off like this:

The cardboard was inserted to keep the springs from jabbing me and/or ripping my pants.

Here is the spring pack that I removed from the seat cushion. It's like I was sitting on pieces from a Barrel full of Monkeys game! I thought using foam would be easier (and less crunchy) than trying to fix all the broken springs. What I came up with was 2" high density foam in the middle with a workout mat from Target glued on both sides, it sort of resembles a mint/chocolate candy I remember as a kid.

An upholstery shop up the street from my work was able to provide the plastic welt cord that gets inserted into the perimeter of the backrest covers that Walcks seat covers don't come with. All together it looks like this:

Overall more comfy with less chance for tetanus. I left the backrest cushion off the driver's seat because it's like 3" of free leg room.

Wow, that turned out great. Nice job! Clap
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2020 at 3:00pm
Thanks for the props about the seats, they are much improved.

I've contacted a number of forklift salvage yards around the country with no luck finding a replacement for my exhaust manifold. I went junkyarding over the weekend and found something that looks to hold promise.

It's from a Chevy S10 with the 4 cyl engine. The outer tubes need to be relocated obviously, but I was pleasantly surprised at the overall fitment of this part. It's steel so it can be manipulated into whatever I need it to be. Even has a nice O2 sensor bung already installed.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2020 at 3:02pm
I've abandoned the idea of repairing the Devil's cast iron, portions of the casting aren't really metal any longer and are a crystallized , cracked mess that is not likely to be welded successfully anyway.

So I'm moving forward with the fabrication of a new tubular manifold. I cut some 3/8" flanges & ordered a couple of J pipes to build the outer tubes. The old, cracked cylinder head is coming in handy as a template for mocking up the assembly.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2020 at 3:00pm
I scored an electronic spark control distributor from a local marine salvage yard. This should be an improvement over the DIY conversion of the old points style distributor and will clean up the engine compartment as the module is internal. It's OE Delco and uses the same 8 pin module as the TBI system, so it's plug and play.

Still working on the exhaust manifold, it's just taking longer than I thought.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:38pm

Finally done with the manifold. It was a series of: measure, measure, cut, grind, fit, tack, repeat- but it's finished now. Compare with the earlier photo- I had to modify most of it; it might have been easier to just fab from scratch.

I don't know why, but all my pretty welds are on the back and bottom where you won't see them.
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 3:12am
Sweet Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 6:19pm
Innovative fabrication that meets the high standards of the 2Apage.com! Good thinking and nice work!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Innovative fabrication that meets the high standards of the 2Apage.com! Good thinking and nice work!

Thanks for that. I've bolted it back on and will fire it up this week, if it doesn't fall apart I may send it off for a Jet-Hot coating. I would rather not do this again.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 1:46am

Welcome back!

The black jeep has been neglected while I was working on other stuff, but now will get some needed attention. I’ve been the owner of a pair of vintage jeeps for twenty years now and celebrating two decades together is a notable milestone. The traditional gift for a twenty year anniversary is china and the modern equivalent is platinum- the jeep won’t be getting any of those items but I am going to gift it with some mild steel.

I got a wood stove in my shop now as a source of heat so winter work won’t be so unpleasant. I’m going to blow it apart and do the metal work over the cold months and should be in a good place for painting spring/summer next year. I just need to now tidy up my workspace, organize and get to work- I think it’ll be fun.

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2020 at 3:10pm
Thanks for the update. 
Nice to have a good shop space to work out ofClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer