Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 2:56am

I removed the door hinge pillars that attach to the windshield frame and the cowl; there’s a few holes drilled in the W/S frame! A couple of them are even drilled diagonally through the square tubing. There is an obvious repair here on the frame and we’ll have to see how it looks when it all comes apart. I’m curious what is holding the glass in.

If you look closely you can see a run in the original Luzon Red paint or primer underneath. I have painted a few things in my lifetime and I know for a fact that runs follow gravity and always flow downward. This tells me that tubs were painted on a jig or rotisserie. Are there photos of the painting process on the assembly line? Just curious.

It now looks like a proper jeep! The rollbar was super heavy, I think I’ll reach for the hoist putting it back on. 

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2020 at 12:22am

I folded the windshield down for the first time in my ownership of the black jeep. It’s probably a good thing that this doesn’t happen often as the glass rests on the hood blocks! It does have a military hood so the hood blocks are further back as compared to my bone stock 2a. I thought to deal with the windshield frame first as only two bolts held it on (which miraculously came out without breaking) and I was curious about its construction.

The frame has a one-piece glass pane set in a fixed position held in with bead lock gasket pieces. After carefully removing the glass, I found a well- made sheet metal flange pop riveted into the WS opening. If I stick with the fixed glass I’ll reinstall this.

There was also a second sheet metal skin over the lower part of the W/S frame that was carefully made and was a surprising discovery! This was far from a Bubba fix and was well done, much higher caliber of workmanship than later owners who swapped in the small block Chevy. There is a bit of rust in the lower frame tube and gusset pieces so some repair is needed here; and I’m looking at a replacement panel from Classic Enterprises  with the script to finish it off. The old skin made good wall art- has an awesome patina; looks 100 years old.

gj
48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 2:44pm
Wow that windshield frame was quite the work of art, so many layers. 
The old wall hanger skin is awesome Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2020 at 2:58am

Today I took the windshield frame to a local sandblaster to clean it up. Sandblasting for me is a summer activity and it should be easier to weld up the many, many holes after it’s cleaned. I need to make things easier on myself and sub work like this out more often, but my cheapness keeps me from doing it.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 9:44pm

It was mentioned in earlier posts that the inside of the jeep’s tub was coated with a vintage bed liner (OK, it’s really tar!) long ago. I researched having the tub chemically stripped and got some astronomical bids to do that! So I guess I have more time than money now and I’ll be stripping the tar myself. Since it’s cold out, the tar chips off more cleanly than heating it up and turning it to goo. A little solvent takes off what's left quite easily. Underneath is the jeep’s original Luzon Red paint in stellar condition; if I wasn’t going to have to make repairs on the tub I would leave it as is- it’s quite nice. Should have done this years ago.

In the vintage VW world, this would have doubled the resale value. Compare with the driver’s side before removal.

I won’t disturb the paint until I can get a good, reliable color match from the paint store.

48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 10:50pm
The inside of the tub looks way better with the tar removed!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 11:53pm
Lot of work but the results are pretty amazing!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2020 at 11:57pm
Wow that jeep was a total cover up inside and out!!
Nice job Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2020 at 6:06pm
Yes, I'm pretty stoked with how it looks; why did I stare at the tar all of these years? It looked like crap! And it is a time consuming effort to do this, but it's also kind of fun at the same time- kind of an archaeological project making discoveries. I'm into this at least 6-7 hours so far.
With the removal of the diamond plate, extra sheet metal, and tar, it's like a diet and makeover. Feels like running a jeep spa.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2020 at 12:38am
Made some discoveries removing the tar- I found buried rear seat clips!

Started working on the windshield frame today. The sandblasters weren't shy and blew the lower tube full of holes so I'll replace that. I also welded up over 100 other holes in the frame; someone needs their drill taken away.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 12:43am

Initially I thought repairing the windshield frame would be quick and simple. It turns out there was a little more there. Fortunately, I have an unmolested stock jeep to reference how things are supposed to be. Had I not had the blue jeep to compare and measure, I would have just assumed the lower tube was straight and welded it in- and fought it later. The lower tube is supposed to have a slight bow to it to match the curvature of the cowl. At first I wasn’t sure how to pull this off, but thought “what would jpet do?” I don’t have his creative wizardry or manufacturing experience but made do. I built a form to put the curve in the tube and used my van and floor jack to make the bend. 

The uprights on the windshield frame have been fixed numerous times and are nothing but  welds and scar tissue. The frame measures surprisingly square and looks like it will fit fine. There were many holes drilled in both sides of the cowl for “optional” windshield pivot points; the driver’s side pivot was positioned in one of the optional holes and tack welded-not sure why. Once again the blue jeep came in handy as a reference point. 

The frame had a driver’s side bias so I gave it a little tug with the pogo stick to correct- got it back in the center. The new tube is tacked in place and I’m happy with the fitment. It won’t get welded completely until I get a new skin for it, just to make sure it fits.

48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2020 at 2:47pm
Great work on that frame!Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 12:07am

I’ve contemplated starting a separate how-to thread topic on body/paint tips and tricks for quite a while but haven’t because I wasn’t sure how it would be received or if anyone really cared, plus it would be a lot of work to keep it going. I used to do this kind of work for a living and felt I could “give back” and hopefully help others save some time and effort, not to mention money. I’ve seen a lot of questionable practices when folks attempt body/paint work on the internet and have found myself shouting at the screen “why are you doing that?!” This thread wouldn’t be about me and would welcome other’s opinions and experiences with some invigorating conversations developing because of it. 

Jeep folks seem an easy to please category of vehicle owners who will probably dent and scratch their rig up having fun with it, so fancy show car paint jobs most likely aren’t part of a jeep project for most. So with that said, if there is interest make it known, otherwise I could just elaborate a bit more during my own project and discuss tools & equipment, techniques, procedures, products, etc. as I progress through my build.

48 CJ2A
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 1:40am
I would love to see tips and tricks and I’m sure others would too. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 2:08am
i am certainly lacking in the paint skill area and would appreciate some relevant guidance from someone like yourself understanding the mentality of not needing show car finish. but quality none the less. oh, and cheap! hooray for quality DIY!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 2:54am
A little how-to would be great!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 1:02am
OK, it seems there is a little interest. I will see what I can put together that may be informative and helpful. Paint topics won't be featured or demonstrated until spring/summer as painting is seasonal for me, but can certainly still be discussed.

Not sure if I need permission to create a new post in the how-to section.
48 CJ2A
Elroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2020 at 3:18am
In my shop I us dry ice on hard undercoating. Just cover it with blanket 10min. Then just use a putty knife. It will come off. I’ve use it on zeibart, cheap bed liner and the insidious undercoating General Motors used the muscle car era. Good luck elroy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 34>