Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 33>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2021 at 10:15pm
Looks like this guy has your gas filler surround...

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2021 at 2:06am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I'll have to see what the gas filler pocket looks like on my parts '46 2A and if it is usable later this week. Tub is full of scrap metal at the moment. 

Thanks Dennis, let me know what you've got. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2021 at 6:16am
Rob I have two on both parts Jeeps. One a early '46 2A and the other from a GPW. The GPW has a layer of bonds, I'm guessing since it is smooth. I will try to remove the spot welds this weekend. We are expecting freezing rain/snow here on the coast the next couple days so it may have to wait.

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2021 at 2:23am

After a weekend of snow, ice and power outages I was able to get out in the shop and make some progress. I transferred the tub onto a rotisserie to make some of this easier. I’m getting too old to be laying on the floor doing this work!

It was interesting to see the tub from this perspective, there were things I noticed immediately that I’ve never seen before.

48 CJ2A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2021 at 5:19am
That's a pretty slick budget rotisserie, I may steal that design someday.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2021 at 2:58am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

That's a pretty slick budget rotisserie, I may steal that design someday.

Steal away, it's just lumber. When I'm done with it the wood will just get re-used for something else.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 2:21am

With the body on the rotisserie it’s easier to get to the bottom and scrape off more tar! This s*&t is everywhere! Next is the insides of the wheelhouses. The gray coating is over the red, maybe it was a primer for the tar.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2021 at 3:30am

Today I finished the repairs on the riser panel- both lower flanges were cracked & rusty and got replaced. Some would ask why not just replace this panel rather than fix two separate areas. The answer is that my goal with this project is to save as much original 1947 sheet metal as possible, even if it's a bit more work.  A small section of the lower right wheelhouse got replaced too; once the toolbox came out it revealed a little rust where it meets the floor.

I can’t seem to shake this desire to add the pioneer tools to the passenger side of the tub a la M38. I’ve been pondering how to do this for a long time and still haven’t decided on what to do. I found some patch panels for the M38 on one of the jeep parts suppliers website, but when I emailed them about them they said they didn’t have any- it would have been the perfect solution. So I may attempt to just fab something up and splice it in. I have a diagram that jpet may have created that outlines the dimensions of the indents, but it’s for an MB on the driver’s side and it messes with my head. The upper indent for the shovel looks to go “uphill” slightly from the diagram, does this sound correct?

48 CJ2A
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2021 at 4:10am
Thanks for posting that! You just solved my dilemma! I now have the courage to do the same!

Most tool indent panels I have found would be for the driver's side (MB or GPW). Unless you could find a donor and judging from the panels you've made, I think you could fab up what you want from jpet's drawings. Just reverse the layout.
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2021 at 12:59am
Some new stuff showed up! The tailgate surround & rear floor hat channel came from Walck's and Mike from Oregon sent one of his tailgate repair panels. Very impressed with these parts; just need to get them put on.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2021 at 11:36pm
Moving ahead with the repairs to the passenger side; first had to section in some new metal after cutting out the rusty bits.

I’m jumping in with putting the tool indents in the tub. I made a hammerform for the axe indent and after some fine-tuning tried it out on some thinner sheet metal. It’s a bit of effort to do this, but it should work. I bolted it to the jeep’s ¼ panel and got started. There’s a weld down the middle of the indent and so far it’s held up. The new metal seems a bit more malleable than the OE sheet metal. It’s not quite there but my forearms are gone, I’m done for the day.

hjkh
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2021 at 12:57am

I was watching some YOUTube expert’s videos and heard some of them say that you couldn’t (or shouldn’t) use an air chisel on metal in a hammerform- only a planishing hammer. I failed to see the difference between the two and used my air chisel with a hammer bit after giving it a smoother finish. I thought it worked great and finished this task quickly, much faster than swinging a hammer by hand. Compare to my earlier photo.

Moving on to the front section now.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2021 at 11:56pm

Rounded out the weekend with an axe indent and a drain hole. You may have noticed that there are no fender braces (steps) on either of the front cowl panels; that’s intentional. I’m going to cut off the fender braces from the old diamond plate sections and incorporate them into some sort of rocker protection/slider thingy. They were hella strong and can live on and serve in the same capacity as before.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2021 at 3:07am

For the shovel indent, I formed it in two pieces and tacked it together. I bent a flange on the outside to butt weld to the body.

Point of no return.

Now to scare up a shovel and axe, plus all the attaching do-hickeys.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 12:24am
Finally got around to building the passenger side of the transmission tunnel; it was mostly rusted away under the toolbox. Combined three different pieces to complete the panel. I tacked the pieces together first and then formed the curves and bends with hammer and dolly, then welded it all up.

I procrastinated doing this part because I assumed it would be difficult, but it went pretty well.

48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2021 at 3:07am
Looking good Rob.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 1:12am
Thanks Dennis

With the addition of the passenger side floor, my jeep is no longer a Flintstone mobile. I cut out the braces in the tub opening after welding up the floors and sides. They served a function, but kept hitting my head on them. I may reach out and buy some ready made hat channels; I’m getting tired of making panels and trying to keep this project moving.

The jeep’s toolbox needs some love, maybe that will be next. Doing this work with the tub on a rotisserie has been so nice, so worth it!

hv
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 3:41am

I was out in the shop tonight looking things over and actually counted all the non-stock holes drilled into my jeep’s tub- 261! Sigh…

Guess I’d better get busy.

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 33>