Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 9:18pm

Finished the sheet metal for the rear of the jeep. It’s always surprising how much faster the second panel comes together over the first one, it took like ⅓ of the time. Everything looks good so far and will get welded up after the weld-through primer dries.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 11:47pm

The end of the welding on the tub is nearing; all the major panel replacement work is done. I’m working through a short list of welding loose ends to tie up. The axe pocket was one of those things, but there was a shallow dent right where the top of the pocket would be. I couldn’t use filler to fix this and then try to weld over it so this spot had to be metal finished. Should have taken a before photo, but didn’t - sorry. Just imagine a low spot near the top of the outline.

Thanks to the help of 2a page members, I was able to locate and install the axe sheath on the tub; one less thing.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2021 at 12:07am

I was able to source a shovel that will work on the side of the jeep. It’s not a great shovel, it was a cheap shovel. Nor does it have the proper bend so it will need to be altered to fit.

The metal on the tub has reached “good enough” status and after some cleanup and a thorough grinding, I think I’ll move forward with applying filler. It’s getting a bit late to expect this project to see paint this summer because of my lack of motivation-that was the goal last November.  My 19 year old self would have knocked this out already, but middle-aged me has struggled to keep this going.

If everything gets to the primer stage and all the stuff fits, that might be a more reasonable goal before the warm weather leaves.

Edited by otto - 03 Sep. 2021 at 8:37pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 10:15pm

This jeep had rubber fender flares on it when it first came home. They were immediately removed and thrown away, but I think the damage had been done. Something to be aware of if you install flares on your flat fender jeep, this could be a possible outcome. The sandblaster wasn’t kind to the fenders at the lips and found thin spots and made some holes.

I just noticed that 40K insomniacs have viewed this never ending saga! Never thought that would happen.

Edited by otto - 18 Aug. 2021 at 7:40pm
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I just noticed that 40K insomniacs have viewed this never ending saga! Never thought that would happen.

I'm living vicariously through you LOL  This is what I want to do to my Jeep but it is not happening anytime soon. Keep up the good work!

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

I'm living vicariously through you LOL  

Never a good idea!Wink

Last week I had dropped off a piece of the jeep’s old fuel tank at the paint store to see what options there were for replicating Luzon Red. Today, I stopped by to see how they did. They used their camera to scan the paint on the scrap and came up with an interesting find. Apparently, a stock Porsche color named Gambia Red is pretty close. This is OMNI, which is PPG’s bargain line and the MTK is their urethane. With all products to make it sprayable, it’s around $300 per gallon. The other option is a very good paint line but would be over $1000 per sprayable gallon! I’ll not be going that route just to scratch up jeep paint in the woods.

The scrap piece was covered with the tar that the rest of the jeep was adorned with and was under the seat and covered by a metal hard top, so this paint sample did not have much UV degradation so I felt it was strongly representative of Luzon Red.

The paint store mixed a small amount of this color and placed a dab on the scrap, can you see it?

It’s right here.

In the store it looked spot on, but outside at certain angles it takes on a brownish hue which I don’t like. I may take the scrap to another paint store to see how they do. I thought there was a certain irony with two vehicles at opposite ends of the automotive spectrum sharing almost the same color.

48 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2021 at 4:22pm
Porsche paint will make it go faster. You knew that was coming didn’t you.

Wink

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 1:17pm
I'm hoping the Porsche paint will make it faster! I just hope the Porsche color doesn't affect the driver and make him all snooty and pretentious.

I dropped the scrap piece off at the other well-known paint store in Portland and they scanned it with probably the same camera and arrived at the same color also. Interested in how their mix matches up.
48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 1:42pm
Try this once. Same color but different manufacturers. 

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 3:42pm
Micah,

Did you think either of these colors was a good match to OE Luzon Red? Curious if you had one or both mixed up and tried them. 

Did you like one over the other?

Edited by otto - 31 Aug. 2021 at 4:29pm
48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2021 at 8:01pm
Otto,
I had a spray can of the Nason made up. Shop said both came up as a 95%+ when scanned. Supposedly the same color just two different names and manufactures. The fact that it came up as a fleet color makes me believe it was an accurate scan. I would suspect Willy's didn't pick anything elaborate. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2021 at 11:23pm

Finished the weekend with both ¼ panels, the cowl, and dash mostly done. When projects are at the phase where I get to make dust, that puts me in my happy place!

The cowl had some surprises waiting for me, some previous repairs weren’t great and I had to re-do them. All better now.

After watching the recent Rubicon videos and pictures, I was briefly tempted to just put the diamond plate back on and go wheelin’. But as long as it’s this far along might as well finish it.

ncnbv

Edited by otto - 15 Aug. 2021 at 2:05pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2021 at 7:36pm

Most of the filler work is done on the tub- just the tail light panels are left to do. Even though they were new metal, once welded in there was enough warpage that I’ve got some work to do here. Still need to decide on tail lights before that happens.

I thought the indents might make this side a sculpt-a-thon, but went faster than planned. The goal for the weekend is to get most of the tub in epoxy primer.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 11:13pm

The last panels to work are the tail light panels. Even though they were carefully handcrafted, after being welded in both of them developed lumps in the middle. I’ve slowly reached a level of confidence on using the shrinking disc and reached for it to take down the lumps. I was super skeptical of the discs and mostly thought they were a gimmick, but it does work and turned out to be a valuable tool to remove the lumps.

I also made a decision on tail lights, just need a 4 ½” hole saw.

dfd
48 CJ2A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 11:22pm

The last panels to work are the tail light panels. Even though they were carefully handcrafted, after being welded in both of them developed lumps in the middle. I’ve slowly reached a level of confidence on using the shrinking disc and reached for it to take down the lumps. I was super skeptical of the discs and mostly thought they were a gimmick, but it does work and turned out to be a valuable tool to remove the lumps.

Maybe a topic for your bodywork thread?  Wink Smile  (some insights)

I have a couple of them,  with mixed results,  but might be technique.  

Thanks for sharing your expertise both here, and in the other thread!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Its already there.....introduced in bottom of page 3 and continues on to page 4.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Its already there.....introduced in bottom of page 3 and continues on to page 4.

Yes, I did talk about the shrinking disc in a general sense in the body shop thread, but if you had some specific questions feel free to ask over there. I've used it a bit more and have gotten more comfortable using it and impressed that it actually works. One of the last times it was used on my tub was to bring down the weld area where the driver's wheelhouse was sectioned to move the seat rearwards. It was "fat" in this spot and after I properly dressed the weld, made a few passes with the shrinking disc. It brought it right down without any drama or creating oil cans and ended up using very little filler there- it's almost transparent.

Edited by otto - 31 Aug. 2021 at 4:17pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 8:29pm

All the filler work on the tub is done. In the end, I used up a whole gallon of bondo- well, 0.8 gallons according to the can. I was a little shocked to open the container and find it 2” from the top; it must be like candy bars now. Most of the filler ended up on the floor, and that’s OK as that’s just what it took to straighten up a 74 year old jeep. Now with it all in epoxy primer I’ll move on to the smaller parts and try to finish them.

The holes for the taillights and the hoops and loops for the pioneer tools are drilled so I won’t have to do that when the paint is fresh.

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 33>