Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2022 at 9:19pm

I got the tub back on the rotisserie and am going to plow ahead with paint prep. During the off season I would write little notes to myself on the tub with a sharpie so little things didn’t get overlooked. I think all the little BS things are finally addressed, like welding up holes and drilling others. The transmission cover needed to be adjusted and the tailgate is ready for prep.

z
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 11:55pm
I was looking through some older photos and forgot there were some "as purchased" pics of the black jeep. This is back in 2000 when both of them were picked up.

It's come quite a ways.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 12:08am
I found an area on the hood that didn't make me smile so it took some more time to straighten up. It feels good now and should block out nicely. It was on the driver's side and would have driven me crazy to have to sight down it every time I got behind the wheel.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 7:04pm

The hood got a liberal application of poly primer and I started blocking it out today. 80 grit on the long board cut through it nicely and the driver’s side straightened up well- much improved! Not sure how that made it through quality control when I patched the hole some years ago, but it’ll pass now. The passenger side was really straight to start with but got blocked out just the same.

When the hood patching happened, I made the statement that the hood would never see shiny paint; never say never.

48 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 11:03am
Curious about the extra holes.....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

. MB hood? Early MB’s had an air deflector bolted to the bottom of the hood. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

. MB hood? Early MB’s had an air deflector bolted to the bottom of the hood. 
BW 

Yes, this jeep has a military hood. It had OD underneath as its original color.

Early MB huh? How early would have had the deflector? Thanks for this tidbit.
48 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 5:34pm
  I’m not real sure. Slat-grilles had it and I think it became unnecessary with the new grille. It may have continued for a bit, or maybe only the holes continued. Also you’ll find that your hood block holes are equidistant from the center seam. The left block was moved when vacuum wipers were introduced. CJ2-A hood blocks are not equidistant from the center seam. 
BW 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Early MB huh? How early would have had the deflector? Thanks for this tidbit.

In function how did this work and if it did, I wonder why the idea was abandoned?

Edit....posting at the same time.Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 26 June 2022 at 5:39pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I’m not real sure. Slat-grilles had it and I think it became unnecessary with the new grille. It may have continued for a bit, or maybe only the holes continued. Also you’ll find that your hood block holes are equidistant from the center seam. The left block was moved when vacuum wipers were introduced. CJ2-A hood blocks are not equidistant from the center seam. 
BW 
As usual, BW is correct- the hood blocks are different distances from center on the 2a hood. I had to go out in the garage and measure. I had never noticed this before. The hood blocks on the military hood are further back than the 2a hood- I figured this out when folding the 2a windshield down on the blocks for the first time; it rested on the glass.

Over on the G503 page this air deflector is well known and there are some interesting threads about it. 
48 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2022 at 9:15pm
  otto said:”The hood blocks on the military hood are further back than the 2a hood- I figured this out when folding the 2a windshield down on the blocks for the first time; it rested on the glass.”

Ah, yes, the MB/GPW windshield is not as tall as a CJ2-A, and the slat-grille windshield is shorter yet. 
BW 

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 10:05pm
The only work happening on the jeep has been paint prep- put paint on and take it back off. While I’m at this, I might as well take care of the doors for the hardtop. The previous owners haven’t done me many favors with this jeep, but their crappy paint on the hardtop may be one. It wasn’t prepped very well and adhesion is poor, so stripping the paint with a razor blade is almost a treat. No costly consumables, no dust, no messy paint stripper, and not having to listen to the air compressor has been nice.

When I got the jeep, there were water decals and pinstripes applied around the windows (see the photos in the earlier post) and rust was starting to develop under them. I wire-wheeled the rust and applied some Ospho to the metal and then sprayed some rattle can paint over it when it dried. You can see that paint is still in the corners and the razor blade couldn’t even get under that paint. So the Ospho treatment does work- this jeep sat outdoors for years.

Edited by otto - 02 July 2022 at 10:49am
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 8:18pm
Picked up some more paint supplies today and got a quart of paint to try. They mixed the same Porsche color as last time, but it seems closer to the original than the first try.

I think it’s pretty damn close, see what you think.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2022 at 7:03pm

Finished the weekend with most of the body parts in “final prime”, meaning all that is left to do is wet sand for the finish coat. We’ll see how that goes- if it doesn’t look good enough it will get re-primed and if it’s ready, I’ll start prepping everything for color. I gave it a good once over “wet check” while the primer was still wet and I was happy so far with it, glancing down the sides.

Don’t have a photo of this, just imagine a bunch of jeep parts a dull gray color.

The forecast here is for a warm week so I’ll just let the parts sit in the hot shop and cure up. This should allow the primer to shrink fully before sanding. It should also let my sore shoulders recover a bit.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 7:10pm

I tried out the quart of paint over the weekend and came to a couple of conclusions after seeing it sprayed out; I’m not real happy with the color, and it seems really thin bodied and sort of pulls away from sharp edges once applied.

The color appears more brown and less red than the original example. I think I will take the sample and the transmission cover that got painted back to the paint store and see what they think of the comparison. I’m not expecting them to tint it around to match the Luzon Red color but maybe there are some other alternatives. The paint was sprayed over a black sealer (as was recommended) and two coats really struggled to cover. I should’ve applied a third coat but was trying this product for the first time, and the directions called for two coats. A third coat would have probably covered better, but the color still would have been off.

Fluorescent lights in the shop:

Fluorescent lights with the door open

This is a single stage paint and was thin bodied out of the can. I mixed it 4:1:1 like the directions said to and it sprayed nice, I must admit. But it is almost transparent on sharp edges where the dark sealer shows through. I can’t say whether or not a third coat would’ve helped with this. There might just not be enough solids or pigments in this more inexpensive paint to do what I need it to and may have to try a base/clear to avoid this. Basecoats generally have a lot more solids in them than the single stage finishes do- because that’s really all they are.

Never experienced stuff like this with the old paints, I miss them.

Edited by otto - 30 July 2022 at 7:19pm
48 CJ2A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 8:36pm
If I recall, aren't reds harder to cover with, or am I thinking of something else? Are you trying to do a blend or will you be spraying the whole thing this color?
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

If I recall, aren't reds harder to cover with, or am I thinking of something else? Are you trying to do a blend or will you be spraying the whole thing this color?

I don't know if reds are more difficult to cover with- I've always heard they were more expensive than other colors.

Not trying to match or blend anything; the whole jeep's getting painted: inside, outside, underneath. Just trying to get close to the original color as possible. 
48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 10:39pm
Twice I had a spray can made up of the paint I previously suggested. I had no problems with it and the color looked good to me.

I realize it is not quite the same as painting with a gun, but I plan to use the same paint when I have the whole Jeep painted. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 33>