Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Twice I had a spray can made up of the paint I previously suggested. I had no problems with it and the color looked good to me.

I realize it is not quite the same as painting with a gun, but I plan to use the same paint when I have the whole Jeep painted. 

Micah

Later in the week I'll make a trip to Industrial Finishes and see if they can mix a small quantity of the colors you mentioned. I'm not in love with the Porsche color after seeing it sprayed out, but it might work if there's nothing closer.

Did you compare the colors you used to known examples of original Luzon Red? It would be great if you had a side by side photo.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2022 at 7:49pm
Otto,
Half way down on this page you can see the photos of the underside of my Jeep and the tailgate I painted. The underside original paint was almost completely intact. I had it scanned and we got a very high match to the two codes I posted. I don't think Willys used anything exotic. So, I think it coming back to the Nason National Fleet Color Maroon gives me a good feeling that it is correct. 

Here is another post that has some photos of a second tailgate that I painted. Maybe it gives you a good idea on the color with the different lighting. 

I do not see any shades of brown in it like you appear to be experiencing. 

A little difficult to get you a side-by-side comparison since I was using the underside to scan. 

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2022 at 9:54pm

After work I visited the paint store and told them about my color situation. They brought out a suitcase of color fans for the fleet colors. There were two red fans and it was a personal torture going through all of them to find one that was close. I did find one that looks promising, it looked good outside where it counts so they mixed up a sample amount and I got some spray-out cards to try it on.

It was PPG’s Delfleet Essential color #709530 and it’s a 6:1:1 paint that is said to cover better. So maybe it solves a couple of issues at once. I’m going to try the other store and see what Micah’s suggestions look like, as Wesco doesn’t carry the Nason or Spies Hecker lines.

I’m convinced I have an excellent original Luzon Red sample to compare to, I just need to find a close match- it’s out there.

Edited by otto - 03 Aug. 2022 at 10:51pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2022 at 11:06pm

I ventured out to the Industrial Finishes store in Gresham and showed them the two paints that Micah used. The Nason fleet color wasn’t a problem and they mixed me up a few ounces to try. The Spies Hecker color was an issue for them because I had no idea what year Toyota the color was from even though I gave them a photo of their label with the color number on it. Whatever.

I got some spray out cards to try the two colors on; they look like this.

I sprayed the two colors out using the same gun at the same air pressure, and gave each card three double coats. The Nason example was enamel while the Delfleet was a high solids urethane. I’m sure the Nason can be mixed in a urethane- they mixed an enamel because it was cheaper I guess. Four ounces was still $25.

So on to the Luzon Red fleet color shootout! 

Here is the two cards next to the scrap piece I’ve used throughout this selection process:

Inside under the lights:

Outside:

Compared to the tailgate:

They’re both really close, one is a little deeper red than the other according to my eyeballs. One looks a little muddy and has a hint of brown, the other has more red. Both are much better than the OMNI Porsche color. It's a little hard because of the glare from the lights and outside to tell which is better. Choosing one will be hard.

What does the page think?l

Edited by otto - 03 Aug. 2022 at 11:09pm
48 CJ2A
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:28am
To me the one on the left is a better match.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:39am
I agree with the left one.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 8:40am
I like the one in the left too. Which paint is it? I too have an originally Luzon red cj that that someone painted light blue and will be red again in a year or 2. I’m super interested in your results. Here’s the Luzon red I found under the blue
After power washing engine bay 

Edited by Agas46cj - 13 Aug. 2022 at 7:53pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 10:26am
left. nice work otto. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 2:28pm
Not knowing which one I suggested, I too have to go with the left. 

I wish they could have made up the Toyota color too. Strange they could not. Could they not go by the formula I posted? I would have liked to see it. It would have opened up other sources for paint. 

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 9:55pm

Well it’s unanimous, the color on the left is seen as the better match and I must agree; it’s closer than the other. I think the color on the right is more attractive in my view, but the goal here is to match the factory color and the one on the left does that. Which one is it? 

It’s the Nason!

This is the color that Micah suggested last year, but I had to see for myself. Thank you, my friend for posting this in my build thread, it will get my project to where I want it. It was fortunate that my jeep had well preserved original paint to compare to, otherwise it would be like throwing darts at a board.

I picked up a quart of the Nason Ful- thane  today and a ½ pint of the activator and it was a good thing that I was bracing myself for it. It’s about $125 per quart and the activator was $67. Yes, a gallon of paint will be over $500! In comparison, the PPG Delfleet Essential was going to be slightly over $1000 for 6 qts along with the components to be sprayable, so slightly less. The thing is- I don’t really know how much paint it will take to paint the jeep complete with all panels being covered on all sides. The Nason is a 8:1:2 mix which I’ve not sprayed before, that’s why I only brought home a quart today. 

48 CJ2A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2022 at 10:59pm
A little off topic but I have a question for you.

I used to be a painter at a couple body shops but that was many many years ago.  You mentioned 500.00 for a gallon of paint, which got me to thinking…

Generally speaking, how much would a DIY paint job cost these days for a jeep?  Using quality automotive material. Product only.
Let’s say after the body work and priming is done, roughly how much would it cost for maybe a couple coats of sealer, and enough single stage paint with all the hardeners, and reducers needed.  No clear coat. Something not too expensive but not too cheap either. Something that doesn't look like it was done with a rattle can. 

Any ideas on a rough dollar amount these days?
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2022 at 12:38am

I think that’s a fair question, cost is always front of mind for everyone these days.

So what you are describing is just what I’m attempting to do with my jeep project- a middle of the road paint job using single stage materials, nothing fancy. On my last project (the vintage camper van), I kind of cheaped out and went with OMNI acrylic enamel because that’s what I was accustomed to: the enamels of olde. I assumed that today’s enamels would be the same; but no, they’re not even close. So this go-around I’m choosing to use a polyurethane material and discovering that they have vastly improved from the early versions of the late 80s.

Now to cost: yes, a gallon of paint for my jeep is going to cost $508. The activator to match the gallon (a pint @8:1) will cost $117 and a quart of reducer has generally been around $25-30. The fact that this is red may skew the price upward over other colors; red has been historically an expensive color. I don’t know why that is, it just is. Maybe the pigments for red are derived from rare plants deep in the Amazon or taken from the third vertebrate of an endangered species, I don’t know- it’s always been this way. Adding these three components gets to a grand total of $655. Undercoats and sealers would be in addition to this, and they’re expensive too- depending on what’s used.

You can look up Nason Ful-thane and see that it's no high end paint, just a mid quality, get-the-job-done product that should last a while. Certainly more monies could be spent.

Another thing that is bugging me is that I know how much paint is needed to spray a small to mid-sized car, but not how much to buy for painting all the parts on a jeep. All panels need to be sprayed both sides and the tub inside, outside and underneath. I don’t know if a gallon would do it. I certainly don’t want to run low and need to go back for an extra quart or two and then that mix is slightly off. I would be curious if others could recall how much paint they used.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 5:44pm
I re-sprayed the underside of the hood and the transmission cover with the new quart of the Nason Ful-thane. I must say that it sprayed nice and looks good so far. It covered well and has nice gloss retention after a couple of days, so I’m pleased with it.

Next week I’ll pick up a gallon of it (after taking out a loan Wink) and the activator & some reducer. This will make 5 ½ quarts of sprayable material plus the ⅔ of a quart that remains. The quart is a little light compared to the sample paint they sold me, so all paints will need to be inter-mixed ensuring everything ends up a uniform shade. 

The grille, fenders and some other small parts are ready for painting, so I’ll have to start turning stuff red soon. This is getting exciting!

m
48 CJ2A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 10:29pm
That looks super nice!  Very flat and no orange peel, great job!

Is that a jeep part? I don’t recognize it.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2022 at 11:35pm
Ya, it's home made. This part showed up back on page one during the T18 swap.

Edited by otto - 08 Aug. 2022 at 12:33am
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 5:57pm
Otto,
That looks really nice. 

I like this color. I think it is unusual to see a 2A in this shade and they stand out from the crowd. I'm happy with just the little bit I have sprayed on my tailgate. I wish I could see what it looks like in person. 

Micah

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2022 at 6:53pm
Me too. Chigger is currently some shade of tractor red but originally Luzon. If it ever gets a repaint, I'll switch to the original color. Heck, I wouldn't even have to change the name. Big smile
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 5:25pm
Not a wicked sunburn, just painting some stuff red LOL

I went through more paint than expected spraying just the windshield frame and the grille, so we'll see how far it goes. Spraying paint wearing glasses is the worst!

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 34>