Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 7:14pm
Well it's just got me thinking, it doesn't have me doingSmile
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 9:19pm
....LOL....Understood Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 8:04pm

I set the jeep outside today to clean the shop, this phase of the project is wrapping up and it feels good to have completed it. It’s not “done”, there’s other things that I want to try, but it’s nice to have all the jeep parts together again and not scattered about. 

The sun came out for a bit and I had to act quickly to capture this photo- it doesn’t happen often during winter here. The color reacts differently to sun or strong light and looks far different than in the shop or in the shade. I don’t have an explanation for this, there’s no pearl or metallic or even clear in the paint but sunshine wakes it up.

48 CJ2A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 9:06pm
Otto,
I have been waiting for that outdoor picture. Nice work. Are you happy with the Luzon color choice?

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 10:31pm
Wow, looks great!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 5:32am
Looks great!! Congratulations! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 11:15am
The paint turned out very nice!  Looks great in the sun.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Otto,
I have been waiting for that outdoor picture. Nice work. Are you happy with the Luzon color choice?

Micah
Micah, 

I am happy with the color. I don't generally gravitate towards red but this color has such a rich, deep tone to it that you can't not notice it.  And it appeals to me because it's not fire engine bright- that would look nice too, but not my cup of tea. I think it resembles a glass of fine burgundy, how classy!Wink

The color was a fairly close match to the original so it's probably what a new Luzon jeep looked like in 1947.

Thanks everyone, for following along and the compliments, it's appreciated. This jeep was referred to as the "black jeep" for two decades and because I have a vivid imagination, refer to my other jeep as the "blue jeep". I don't really give names to things but I'll have to get used to calling this one the "red jeep" or something else.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 7:18pm

Picked up this setup for the jeep recently; I’ve wanted a PTO winch for a long time. And I love the idea of a winch on the property and having it work off the jeep is a bonus! Installing this may have to wait a while as I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire. Super stoked about this for trail use!

Let’s see, an axe, shovel, crosscut saw, high lift jack, and a winch! Should be pretty capable out in the woods.

48 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 8:20pm
Good score!   Have it in on for the Spring fling?   You never know what those loons in the MBs will try to pull.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2023 at 10:30pm
I don’t give names to my jeeps other than colors either.

Nice find!  I’ve always wanted a jeep with a PTO.  I don’t care if it even did anything, I just want a PTO dammit!

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Good score!   Have it in on for the Spring fling?   You never know what those loons in the MBs will try to pull.
I don't typically work that quickly Alan, so don't count on this jeep having winching capabilities on the Spring Fling. So MBers will just have to stay on their toes!

Actually, Mike's grandson Nolan has been wishing for years that I get my jeep stuck so he can winch it out using Steve's PTO winch.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

I don’t give names to my jeeps other than colors either.

Nice find!  I’ve always wanted a jeep with a PTO.  I don’t care if it even did anything, I just want a PTO dammit!

Only a couple vehicles that I've owned had a nickname at all. I've had a couple of old trucks that we called "Ol Blue", and I ended up with my grandmother's Chevy Nova, which we called "Granny". Other than that, it's just; the van, the Volvo, the 510, the (fill in color) jeep, etc.

I think PTOs are just cool! It's great if they can perform a useful task, but if not it's still fun to pull levers and watch things spin around.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2023 at 9:55pm

I have been waiting for over a month for the glass channel to arrive. The first shipment showed up ruined, it was smashed flat like it got run over in more than one spot. The second shipment was delivered damaged too, but there was enough material to get both doors done. It’s pretty tight still and I’m hoping it’ll loosen up over time. 

The regulator on the passenger side is under a lot of stress lifting the glass and you need to help the glass up and down. The large gear in the regulator has some worn/bent teeth, but this gear is reproduced for early Chevrolets so I’ll order one of those. I’ll also keep an eye out for the driver’s regulator at the Portland Swap Meet in April, maybe I’ll luck out and find one. They seem to be very similar to late 30’s Chevrolet trucks. These may have been cheap and common when Koenig was building tops, but they’re not now.

In the meantime, I’m trying to work the bugs out of the jeep’s fuel injection system.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:40pm

I spent the afternoon attempting to solve some mysteries with how the jeep runs. It has never ran in a manner that I’ve been happy with, but I’ve never devoted enough time to getting it there- seems I’m always in a hurry and there’s always another distraction…squirrel!

Had to revisit the fuel injection info and go through all of it as it’s been a few years since this was put on the jeep. In a nutshell, there was an ignition module that wasn’t modulating. So after a bit of diagnosis, it was replaced with a spare- now the engine has an actual ignition curve.

The engine has a hanging rpm like an engine with a vacuum leak, but I’m confident it doesn’t have one- it idles at 20” Hg. plus I’ve chased this before and couldn’t find a leak. I tried a couple of things one at a time. When the Idle Air Control (IAC) is unplugged, it doesn’t do this and returns to idle much quicker. Usually the check engine light comes on when you do this but has stayed off so far.

Also the PCV valve when connected to the base of the TB puts the engine under the same 20” of vacuum and when the engine was shut off, I could hear a hissing sound. It took me a while to figure out this was coming from the oil cap ( I would think that might keep the engine from leaking!). I blocked off the PCV and the engine seemed to respond better off idle than before. I drove it this way and it seemed to run better with driveability improved. I could never get the idle counts to around 20 where they are supposed to be before, so maybe there’s something here.

A Windows 10 update causes my laptop to load a comm port drive that isn’t compatible with the supplied fuel injection software so this driver needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled each time, so I'm becoming an expert in that.

Found an oil leak from the gauge line so that got addressed also. So, an afternoon working bugs out (hopefully).

I need to go junkyarding and get the GM TBI air cleaner base, I may connect the PCV to that instead. This post may be a little “inside baseball”, but it’s just what I’m working through.

Edited by otto - 06 Mar. 2023 at 11:20am
48 CJ2A
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 7:55am
Outstanding set of posts otto.

Just a question if I may on the tool indents? I may have missed this but did you use a pattern for the spade and axe indents. Are they the same dimensions as jpets for the MB in reverse or entirely different?

Thanks !

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 10:22am
JonJ,
I did use JPet’s diagram and dimensions, just in reverse. It was accurate and the tools fit well on the side of the tub. 
48 CJ2A
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2023 at 10:42am
Thanks Otto
Much appreciated 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>