Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2023 at 10:25pm

Connecting the intake to an air cleaner is one of the final things to do. I cut down an S10's air cleaner and made a metal band for the middle section. Just need to fashion a lid and connect the snorkel to the air cleaner and this step is done. 

When I was wandering the wrecking yard, it seemed GM connected engine breathers to either the air horn or the TB’s PCV port, or both. I’m going to connect the jeep’s PCV valve to the tube on the air cleaner base; the engine seems happier with the TBI PCV port blocked off. It may be a situation where I was trying to mix new and old systems.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 9:11pm

Finished up the air cleaner project today. Haven’t run it with it connected; curious how all the air is going to make it through the “mushroom” on the canister. Hoping the high pitched whistle sound goes away. 

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:39pm
After 23 years this jeep has a skid plate again. It didn’t have one when I bought it, but it does now. Had to fab up attachment points to the fabricated crossmember.

We’ll see how it holds up; if it doesn’t, I’ll have to double up Stan Fuller style.

48 CJ2A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 8:59pm
Looks beefy, how thick is it?
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2023 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

Looks beefy, how thick is it?
Not sure. If I had to guess, it's 3/16". Not sure why it has all the holes in it; it came with the jeep junk I bought at the auction.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 7:59pm

Heard some rustling in the shop today and found this:

I have to hand it to them, it’s a great place to nest. Safe behind the bars and away from predators. I haven’t seen any rent checks from them, so they had to go.I think this is the same pair of Black Eyed Juncos that tried to set up residence last year in the shop.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 6:39pm

After getting home and washing the Spring Fling mud and dust off, I started pondering some comfort improvements. Saturday I was so uncomfortable in the jeep I didn’t even want to get back in it Sunday, but I did and it was a little better. Maybe my body just conformed to the jeep. I was still happy to get out of it at the end of the day. 

Started by raising the front of the seat pan ¾” with a piece of wood- this felt better immediately as it spreads the load onto my legs instead of just my butt. Not blessed with a lot of natural padding, I need all the tricks for comfort I can find. I’m also going to re-visit the seat cushion foam as I sink right through it. It was supposed to be “high density”, but hardly is.

Also the gas pedal isn’t what I would like it to be. It’s almost vertical and touchy off idle so it’s hard to drive smoothly. 

All in all, the jeep performed fine. It was happier off road than on, started each time I hit the button and didn’t break. It climbed up and through some nasty terrain like a trooper and it was fun to experiment with its capabilities.

48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 7:18pm
What a spectacular looking Jeep Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 8:19pm
Very nice!   Sorry I missed you all at Mike's.    How do you like the engine?
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

What a spectacular looking Jeep Clap
Thanks Ben, that is very nice to hear!

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Very nice!   Sorry I missed you all at Mike's.    How do you like the engine?
Thanks Alan, we missed you also. I like the engine a lot although I don't like how it runs some of the time. The fuel injection was a bit of an experiment and I may try some alternatives to it. It still has an inconsistent idle and doesn't like to be lugged down very much. Some say the boat camshaft needs to be replaced with a car cam, but I'm not so sure.
48 CJ2A
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 8:59am
If the idle is inconsistent all the time then probably something other than cam or you could have more than one thing going on. In regards to the cam itself, boats are made to pull best power at 4,000+ rpm and have the cam for that. It takes a different cam to get best power at 800-2,000 rpm so my guess is the lugging problem is cam related. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 9:56am
If you do replace the camshaft, be sure to replace the lifters as well at the same time.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Jeff J Jeff J wrote:

If the idle is inconsistent all the time then probably something other than cam or you could have more than one thing going on. In regards to the cam itself, boats are made to pull best power at 4,000+ rpm and have the cam for that. It takes a different cam to get best power at 800-2,000 rpm so my guess is the lugging problem is cam related. 

The engine does have enough flexibility to get a low geared jeep around in the woods as is, and I don’t really want to get into the engine again. Although it’s a Chevrolet and the parts are very inexpensive- lifters are around $4 each. It may be the camshaft and the fuel injection are just not very compatible; at high RPMs it doesn’t miss a beat! Maybe change one of these variables?

I ran the jeep over a roadside scale in Fall Creek and it said 3000 lbs, which I thought was pretty heavy. I drove it over another roadside scale near my house and it said 2950 lbs (both including driver). I guess installing all the do-dads added up.

Note to self: next time relocate the dimmer switch upwards on the firewall 

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2023 at 10:06pm

I picked up another crosscut saw blade recently. Now instead of swapping the saw from one jeep to another, each will have their own. This saw is the same length as the other, but features a perforated lance tooth pattern. It’s a bit rusty but will sharpen up fine. 

Found this at the Great Oregon Steam Up swap meet for $5 and also a vintage Atkins jointer/raker filing tool for another fiver.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2023 at 9:16pm

The jeep is back in a familiar space and I’ve come up with a list of Winter upgrades for it:

PTO winch install,

Steering box rebuild,

Replace front springs w/rears, 

and if time allows-

Tie rod flip

This started with the steering box leaking profusely and purchasing the winch. The front springs have always been amazingly stiff, with the front end of the jeep acting like a pogo stick when hitting a bump. Stock front shocks failed to dampen the spring action at all so were replaced with Rancho 5000 series units that barely seemed to control the reaction. 

I strapped the winch to the bumper to see if the extra weight would help with the front spring issue, but didn’t. I can jump on the front bumper, but all that happens is the tires bulge. In the photo, the jeep appears to have adequate articulation, but that’s mostly in the rear springs. It would be great to improve this situation.

The winch is self-explanatory as I've always wanted one. The PTO shaft and the exhaust will need to share the same space so that challenge will need to be solved. There’s not a lot of space up front either with the Saginaw steering box, but it looks like it can be shoehorned in.

48 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2023 at 10:12pm
Can you remove a leaf or two from the spring packs?  
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2023 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Can you remove a leaf or two from the spring packs?  
There's only really three leaves now so I can't remove much. I've plowed this ground before (earlier in this thread on page 1 or 2), and thought they might loosen up some by now but they haven't.

The leaves are 3/8" thick and gave the jeep somewhere around a 1 ton rating before I started shuffling them- it's not much better now. I'm not sure what my options are for springs now that Walck's is gone and Superlift doesn't make their 1" springs any longer.
48 CJ2A
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2023 at 11:12pm
Oh, sorry, I didn't recall.   My new jeep has similar heavy leaves.   It's not running yet but I expect it will be pretty stiff too.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 33>