Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 33>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 8:25am
Great to hear an update! If you need a break from the Portland area, head to the coast here and we'll get some Bowpicker!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by sparky13 sparky13 wrote:

What is the name of the top that is on the black Jeep? Do you have doors for it? 

I asked this same question of the forum a while ago and another member was convinced it was a Koenig top. I've never found any labels or tags with a name on it anywhere on any of the pieces, so we will call it a Koenig top! I do have the doors stashed away but never painted them; just going to run without doors for a while.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Great to hear an update! If you need a break from the Portland area, head to the coast here and we'll get some Bowpicker!

I was up that way for Christmas and stopped by my uncle's place to visit. I used to stop by the boat for fish & chips once in a while where they would give me an order without waiting in line; I won't do that now, too many people waiting and giving me the stink-eye!
Hopefully you can make Mike's Spring Fling this year.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:48pm

The black jeep made its maiden voyage at Mike in Oregon’s Spring Fling! I’ve owned it for 17 years and it’s been a project for 11, now it was time to try it out. I had driven it to the nearest gas station a mile and a half away twice, for a total of six miles. It was a bit of a gamble to haul it 2 ½ hours away just to take it for a spin.

How did it do? It kept running the whole time and didn’t break so I’m pleased with it so far. Off road it performed as well as I could have hoped for, the hubs stayed in the “free” position all day and never had to shift into low range except to demonstrate how slow it could crawl. On the road, it took some getting used to. On straight road, the locker would engage and release with the application and subtraction of power which would cause the jeep to dart off in different directions somewhat. The tires are big and lumpy (and loud) and give a vague road feel. It took the better part of two days to get the feel for driving it before I became comfortable piloting it on the road.

I’m pretty good at getting a project to 90% and leaving the remaining 10% for “later”, now I’ve got a long list of 10% to do. If I can only to make those seats a little more comfortable…

48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:16pm
Having spent some time as a passenger I can say I was impressed! Since first seeing pictures of it I have really liked this Willys. Seeing it in person and riding has doubled this.

I thought it was quieter, rode smoother then it should have with those tires!

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 4:26am
It was awesome to go jeeping with you and the black jeep.
And having seen your drivers seat,I'd say your as true of a jeeper as they come!!

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the kind words guys. But the seats need attention as they have ruined a number of pants and shorts from the rusty, broken springs. I should also make sure my tetanus booster is up to date.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 3:05pm
I did whittle on my 10% list a little bit. The transmission cover had a gap on the left side that I didn't realize would cause my foot to roast so badly. So I spent a little time adding some metal to the edges so that there was proper overlap all around the cover, plus a new application of camper tape- hope this works to shield the flip-flops from all that heat. It still needs a proper shift boot.
I also disassembled the speedometer and lubricated all the moving parts inside the unit. It seems you just can't put a 70 year old part back into service without going over it first. It would make this crazy sound accompanied with the needle making wild swings throughout the range- it seemed like it was binding up. It works much smoother now.
48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

It seems you just can't put a 70 year old part back into service without going over it first.

Where is the fun in that?!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 2:48pm
It's been a while, but the black jeep is back in the good graces of the State of Oregon.

48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:16am
nice Clap
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 4:08am
You mean we were driving around with expired plates! ShockedLOL
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

You mean we were driving around with expired plates! Shocked

Certainly not! The black jeep was sporting some borrowed parts from the blue jeep; this may or may not have included a license plate.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2017 at 3:08pm
After the Spring Fling I've picked away at my "loose ends" list for the black jeep. One of the most irritating things was the lugs of the tires rubbing on the springs. It would rattle the fillings out of your teeth! The swampers are mounted on stock CJ-5 wheels w/4" of backspacing. On the other hand, they didn't stick out much (which I liked) and were perfectly flush in the back.

I got some 1.25" spacers to give me back some turning radius.

Now I've got this situation.

The jeep is much more maneuverable now and can navigate like a normal vehicle. The limit stops hadn't been touched in 70 years so it took a little work to loosen them up, but now the tires don't rub. I don't like how the tires stick out, but I have a plan in mind to remedy that. I'll post that up when I get it worked out. If the front axle ever dies, I would like to upgrade to a Dana 30 which I think should be about the same width as I've got now with the spacers.

Edited by otto - 20 Oct. 2017 at 3:02pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:00pm
During the holiday weekend I was able to do some successful junkyarding. I scrounged up a throttle body and wiring harness w/ECU for a TBI conversion. I'm just collecting parts for now and won't disable the jeep until all the components are obtained and I've wrapped my head around a plan of action. I can install things like temp, knock and O2 sensors that don't affect how the jeep runs currently. I've been spending a lot of time over on the Binder Planet site and reading the reams of information that Bill Hamilton has posted (it's a lot). The install of the hard parts will be relatively easier than making sure all the electrons are going to the right spots!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 3:04pm

I started the TBI phase by draining coolant and installing some sensors. The temp and knock sensors are installed in the water jacket. The knock sensor will now be the block coolant drain plug. Before putting the coolant back in the radiator, I noticed some chunks in the top tank. I fished around with a magnet and it came out with a fuzzy ball of rust on it.

I thought that all this stuff was flushed out prior to starting the engine long ago, but apparently my marine engine that never had antifreeze in it was shedding a winter coat or something. So the radiator needed to come out to get flushed. I then realized what a pain in the a$$ it was to remove the fan, shroud, and radiator because I had hurriedly welded in the radiator support when I was fabricating. In the name of product improvement, I've cut the support out and will now have it bolt to the crossmember.

48 CJ2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 9:02pm
Following with great interest! How much do you have invested in this set up so far Rob?
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 10:55pm
So far including the throttle body, and an ECU and wiring harness from a ‘88 Suburban, i’m At $160. Still need to get a fuel pump and an O2 sensor plus some parts for the distributor. 
This is the easy part, the head scratching will be later. 
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 33>