Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:35pm
It's been a while since the black jeep got some love, sitting in the shop all winter. I thought I would tackle a task that's been bugging me for a long time- the seats. They started off like this:

The cardboard was inserted to keep the springs from jabbing me and/or ripping my pants.

Here is the spring pack that I removed from the seat cushion. It's like I was sitting on pieces from a Barrel full of Monkeys game! I thought using foam would be easier (and less crunchy) than trying to fix all the broken springs. What I came up with was 2" high density foam in the middle with a workout mat from Target glued on both sides, it sort of resembles a mint/chocolate candy I remember as a kid.

An upholstery shop up the street from my work was able to provide the plastic welt cord that gets inserted into the perimeter of the backrest covers that Walcks seat covers don't come with. All together it looks like this:

Overall more comfy with less chance for tetanus. I left the backrest cushion off the driver's seat because it's like 3" of free leg room.

Edited by otto - 12 May 2018 at 12:46am
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:10pm
That is a huge improvement! Going on a limb and say they are probably more comfortable then what I remember
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:58am
At least put a couple layers of canvas between you and the seatback.  You'll sweat less that way. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 6:31am
I’ve been super lazy and haven’t touched the jeep for a while. I took the insurance off and have been content to drive the blue jeep. Once I get the shop’s roof replaced the black jeep will get some attention. 
I did do some successful junkyarding today and brought home a fuel pump, O2 sensor, another throttle body and module for the distributor. The fuel pump is from a 88 Ford pu and includes the filter and lines up to the engine. This fits perfectly inside the right frame rail. I will have to post up a photo. 

Edited by otto - 15 July 2018 at 6:35am
48 CJ2A
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 6:05am
Otto, just had the opportunity to read thru your thread.  Awsome job on your black jeep project ... I think your work on that hood was excellent, and I love your old school brake press.  That is the kind of inovative stuff/fixes my dad did.  He was an electrical / mechanical engineer and could fix anything.  I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to share those experiences with him before passed, and I know he would be proud to see how my love for old vehicles and how involved my restoration and preservation work has become such a part of my life.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2018 at 2:08am
Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you’re enjoying the sloth-like progress. I learned a lot about cars from my dad who still is an old school hot rodder and at 81 has more energy and initiative for his car projects than I have for mine. 
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2018 at 3:01pm

I finally got around to taking a photo of the fuel pump:

Once the existing fuel line is removed, it should fit into the channel better.

The factory lines have this bend that nicely matches the firewall angle; it puts the couplers into the engine compartment at a point where they are easily reached. The lines will be protected inside the frame rails and should be out of harm's way.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 12:09am
While I haven’t made any progress on the jeep, I have made strides towards getting work done on the jeep. That is, a better place to work on it. This summer I put a new metal roof on the shop and this weekend, gave the interior a fresh coat of white paint. The old roof leaked badly and keeping things dry was an exercise in juggling plastic sheeting and buckets. Fingers crossed that the rain stays outside from now on. 
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 2:19am
Yeah, you get enough rain outside where you are.  You don't need any inside too.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:53pm

The new shop roof seems to be keeping out the rain (knock on wood) so I’ve been emboldened with uncovering some bare metal on the jeep. The tub sides have been adorned with a thin diamond plate and I’ve been dying to remove this “Rumsfeld” armor since I got the jeep but was always hesitant to because I thought the tub would crumble without it.

It was held on with little nuts and bolts about every 4 or 5 inches or so, and some small welds around the wheel opening.

There’s some work to do around where the spare tire mount was attached and a lot of holes to weld up, but it’s much straighter and more solid than I ever thought- not very rusty at all. Plus the jeep lost 20 pounds! 

Edited by otto - 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:59pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yeah, you get enough rain outside where you are.  You don't need any inside too.

Ain’t that the truth! We just started another 8 months of it. 
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Ain’t that the truth! We just started another 8 months of it. 

Yes we did Although today the sun is out and I drove my 2A to work
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 2:06am
Good on ya for rolling down the road today Dennis.
48 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2018 at 3:45am
Wait you guys only get 8 months of rain. You must be talking the everyday kinda rain. Not counting the just rained part of the day days. I’ve been here most all my life and have grown accustomed to having just the two seasons. Winter and August.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2018 at 3:25am
I was stationed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard from just before Memorial Day to early December 1973 and all the rain was so depressing I knew that if I had lived there much longer I'd have jumped off a bridge.  I'll not be returning.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 1:46am

I was stationed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard from just before Memorial Day to early December 1973 and all the rain was so depressing I knew that if I had lived there much longer I'd have jumped off a bridge.  I'll not be returning.

Hah! That’s funny. I’ve never lived anywhere else so this all I know. Guess I’m just used to it. 
48 CJ2A
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 3:10am
I’ve lived in other places and have always came back.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2018 at 3:00am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Guess I’m just used to it. 

Try living somewhere that's dry.  See what you think. 

Interesting side note: several fellow students at Idaho Falls used to go all the way to Seattle on their 5-offs (we worked strange rotating shifts in prototype school) just so they could get some rain.  I got enough rain in Ohio in April '67 to last me a realllllllllly long time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 34>