Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:58pm

I had another go at removing the diamond plate and took off the driver's side. Just like before, it's pretty solid and fairly straight with a number of holes. The red paint appears to be a form of rust proofing when the bow pockets were removed.

Edited by otto - 17 Dec. 2018 at 3:04pm
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 3:03pm
I also removed sheet metal a PO had riveted to the inside of the windshield frame to enclose the space between the upper and lower tubes. The stamping is evident on the inside even though it is smooth on the outside of the panel. On closer inspection, there are two layers of sheet metal on the windshield frame! This should be interesting to dig into.
48 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 8:41pm
Removing all this weight is going to make it look like you lifted the Jeep
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 9:37pm
That is great news about the sheet metal under the diamond plateThumbs Up 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 12:31am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Removing all this weight is going to make it look like you lifted the Jeep

The black jeep is getting skinny 😄
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2018 at 2:58pm

I’ve taken the first step of a long journey towards bringing the jeep into the technological world of the 1980s by upgrading to a TBI system. First I needed to upgrade the distributor to the 1970s by removing the breaker points and condenser and installing a magnetic pick-up coil and reluctor. Disclaimer: this is all information I gleaned from Bill Hamilton’s work over on the Binder Planet site because I’m nowhere near smart enough to figure this out myself. I started by scoring some JY parts from a Ford truck with a stock Dura-Spark distributor. The Ford pick-up coil ended up being too big to fit under the cap of the Mercruiser distributor so I got a Mopar coil and reluctor, which are smaller and shown in the photo.

Since the Mercruiser is a 4 cyl, I modified a V8 reluctor by removing every other fin and opened up the ID so it would slip over the breaker point lobes. I then wired up the distributor to the EFI ignition module, GM coil and a 12V battery with the distributor clamped in a vise. After some trial and error, I was able to spin the distributor shaft by hand and make sparks. I was so happy with this success that I did this many times- it’s fun!

Next, I want to reinstall the distributor in the engine and test fire it just to confirm it will run and also to see if the drivability issues are really the carburetor or just my antique ignition. If it still runs horrible, then I’ll forge ahead with the TBI plan. The mechanical advance will need to be disabled and the engine timed to 0° before moving forward w/EFI. The Mercruiser distributor doesn’t have vacuum advance at all so that is one less variable. Once connected up to the ECM, the computer will perform all ignition functions and the distributor will just be reduced to a trigger.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 2:59pm
The black jeep is running again, although not very well because the advance weights got JB welded in place. It was odd to put the timing light on the engine and not have the marks move when rpms increase.
The engine really didn't run any better with this ignition so I'll be forging ahead with EFI and bringing this jeep into the 20th century. Back to the future!

Edited by otto - 17 Dec. 2018 at 3:02pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2018 at 3:00pm
Spent a little time in the shop attaching some hard parts. First was the fuel pump/filter/line set. It was a lucky coincident that this fit so well. everything is perfectly serviceable and all fittings are easily reached.

I also started making an adapter for the throttle body. The first couple of prototypes were made of wood because they were easier to make mistakes on, then I transitioned to a thick piece of aluminum. The TB ended up canted at a 45 degree angle because everything fit best in that orientation.

There is no heat in my shop so winter slows the progress.

Edited by otto - 17 Dec. 2018 at 3:03pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2019 at 2:56pm
Just to show that I'm not a complete slacker, I've finished the throttle body adapter. I had to get a carbide burr for cutting aluminum to work the transition areas.

I learned from this project that Forstner bits can remove a lot of aluminum if turning at the slowest speed on the drill press while flooded with WD40. Also other wood working tools are useful if one is patient and careful.
A short S-10 throttle cable looks like it will work nicely.
48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 2:57am
Nice work Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 3:01pm
Thanks Ben,

Because I never throw anything away, I found a gas pedal in a box of stuff from a project from 25 years ago that worked great for the black jeep.

If I recall, it was a Nissan part and it took just a little tweaking to get it to work. The cable end was identical and accepted the GM cable perfectly.  I found a little nylon wheel at the hardware store so it rolls smoothly under the floor mounted jeep gas pedal.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2019 at 10:10pm

At this point the fuel lines are complete from the tank to the throttle body and back (the return line). Joining disparate line sizes and materials was a headache that I went about from the wrong direction at first, but this step is done. I learned there is a whole fuel injection repair section at the auto parts store that made some of the line connections easier. From this vantage point the O2 sensor is in, lines are run around the back of the engine where I brazed Ford fittings to GM lines, and a pressure gauge is installed in the supply line as a quick diagnostic tool.

On to the real headache, the wiring.

48 CJ2A
swampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:59pm
wow this is very interesting , being a chevy guy and knowing a v8 is overkill for these jeeps this is the one swap I would consider doing as well . Thanks for keeping us updated !
CJ2A 1948
YJ sbc fi 37 pit bulls 1987
Jt Rubi 2020
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 3:00pm

Last weekend was the Portland Swap Meet. I didn’t go in pursuit of jeep parts but I did find a rather nice low-number 1947 Oregon license plate. This plate is just for decoration (and to answer questions about what year the jeep is) and won’t be registered. My other jeep is registered this way, with an old plate, but there are limitations on how the vehicle can be used and I wanted to drive this jeep more than the vintage plate rules allow.  The DMV sent new 2021 stickers for the registered plates (which will probably expire before the jeep runs again).

I managed to get the ECM mounted in an out-of-the-way spot under the dash. Welding tabs under the cowl was only so much fun. It took a bit of courage, but I cut a 2 1/8” hole in the firewall for all the wires.

Now to deal with all of this- most of the wires will not be needed and discarded. I’m still looking for a good wiring diagram for an ’88 Suburban. I also reviewed the progress of this thread during the last twelve months and it’s dismal, I need to get in gear!

Edited by otto - 30 Apr. 2019 at 3:16pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 2:55pm
Saturday's work was to deal with the wiring harness shown in the earlier post. Not all wires are needed to run the jeep's engine and it was a little intimidating to thin them out. I would double and triple check before snipping anything, but eventually got to this:

It's still a lot of wires but a lot less also, here is what got removed:

Edited by otto - 30 Apr. 2019 at 3:05pm
48 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 3:22pm
That’s some awesome work!
I hate wiring...good job on the under dash very clean. 
Nice 47 plate. Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2019 at 2:59pm
At this point I've gotten the PROM chip reprogrammed by Hamilton Injection and installed the ECM for good and started laying out where the wiring harness will be on the engine. Everything is falling into place with the the wires being long enough to reach the sensors.

Right now it looks like quite a mess, but after it's running I'll try to make it look prettier.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 3:05am
Tonight I crossed my fingers and said a few Hail Marys and attempted starting the jeep. Much to my astonishment it started! My DIY junkyard TBI system actually works. I need to get the supplied software into my laptop and log some data to see what’s going on inside the engine- there’s some fine tuning to be done for sure, but for now it’s a red letter day.
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 34>