Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Supplier Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schoolbuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts Supplier Experiences
    Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 3:30pm
Does anyone know:  are the wiring harnesses sold by Walcks and RFJP sourced from the same supplier?  Would one be considered superior to the other? 

I recently learned that Walck's is including metric hardware with much of their assemblies.  I recently bought their exhaust hanger set and skid plate, which came with all metric hardware.  I'm sending it all back since it is not appropriate and I don't even keep metric tools in my jeep garage.

I've since moved to buying everything from RFJP.  They don't have the same level of inventory, many parts are always out of stock, but they appear to be offering all American Made and more accurate reproductions.  

Curiousity has me on this one; one item RFJP do not offer is the 45 degree brass oil fitting for the bottom of the oil filter canister.  Walcks does offer it but I don't trust their technical accuracy and this leads me to question if it is even the correct part, or should it be a 90?  A 45 looks to make a more neat and clean fit, but I want what is correct.

btw, my subject jeep is a  CJ2A#17033.

Sage advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shaun
Schoolbuilder
New Ashford, MA
'46 CJ2A #17033
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 4:05pm
As for the exhaust kit, RFJP offers a upgraded faster kit that has all standard hardware. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 6:43pm
  i have installed several of Walck's wiring harnesses and could ask for nothing better. But it's been a few years and who knows what has occurred since then. Their harnesses are made in-house, or were. I don't know about RFJP, but I've never had a complaint about anything I've ever gotten from Ron. I do have a harness that I got second-hand, and I think the PO said that he got it from Ron. If I remember correctly, it's in a Vintage Wiring of Maine box.

schoolbuilder said:  "I recently learned that Walck's is including metric hardware with much of their assemblies.  I recently bought their exhaust hanger set and skid plate, which came with all metric hardware.  I'm sending it all back since it is not appropriate and I don't even keep metric tools in my jeep garage."
  Good for you! I would say/do the same. I had a go-round with Beachwood Canvas over a similar issue years ago and will never buy anything from them again.
  I would expect that anything Carl makes or puts together in-house would have American hardware, but what comes from Omix-ADA is likely to have metric hardware.

It may surprise some here to hear this, but I recently bought an exhaust kit and hanger/clamp kit from Kaiser-Willys (I had a gift certificate Big smile ). I bought the expensive "period correct" clamp & hanger kit, and am very pleased with it. While not a perfect copy of the original, it's much more correct than the modern U-bolt clamp and universal hanger kit that's much cheaper. I can see why it's not cheap, it's all hand-made! And it has good ol' American-sized hardware. What surprised me though, is that the installation guide included has Walck's name and logo on it! 

BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by schoolbuilder schoolbuilder wrote:

Curiousity has me on this one; one item RFJP do not offer is the 45 degree brass oil fitting for the bottom of the oil filter canister.  Walcks does offer it but I don't trust their technical accuracy and this leads me to question if it is even the correct part, or should it be a 90?  A 45 looks to make a more neat and clean fit, but I want what is correct.

Thanks,
Shaun

Why not try the local auto parts store ?

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by schoolbuilder schoolbuilder wrote:

Thanks,
Shaun

Why not try the local auto parts store ?

Lee

Or the local hardware store, Ace, True Value, Lowe's, Home Depot, Or Sutherland's.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2020 at 10:58pm
I consider Walck's the best place to get parts for civilian Willys Jeeps. They are very experienced and produce many of their own parts, including wiring harnesses. The best way to find out about any part they sell is to give them a call. You will get an honest answer from a real Jeep guy.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 1:49pm
I've started second-guessing Walcks. The last couple orders from them have come with "incorrect" or defective items. The first was a small item, no big deal. But the other, a $770 suspension kit, came with metric u-bolts and spring shackles. I just found this out yesterday but will be giving them a call on Monday.

If accuracy matters to you, you should definitely call and ask the questions before ordering.
Dave
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 3:44pm
Anything metric is a big fat NO. How many guys want to carry both std and metric tools in their kit?

Edited by RICKG - 01 Mar. 2020 at 3:46pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 5:40pm
I agree with RickG. The U.S. vintage jeep community needs to push back on the major parts suppliers who have begun slipping Metric hardware into their components and subsystems. We're their market! Carl Walck should know better. But unless we're vocal about this, the Metric stuff will keep coming.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 6:12pm
Well, the metric stuff is coming in from China for the most part and has been for years. The Chinese manufacturers and their major importer, Omix-ADA, don't seem interested in doing anything but metric this and that and do not adhere to the original part specifications as produced by Willy-Overland. This results in parts that absolutely won't fit without costly re-work. Let your parts suppliers know that you won't accept anything but the best in American made replacement parts.

Of course, this stance might delay any delivery of replacement parts for quite sometime...

If Walck's, Kaiser-Willys, et al would kick mis-designed or metric parts back to their suppliers, it would be a great start, but don't hold your breath as that would effect their bottom line too.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 6:21pm
All fair points, Kansas. We still need to voice our disapproval to the Willys retail parts chain.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 6:40pm
Like I said in my post:

"Let your parts suppliers know that you won't accept anything but the best in American made replacement parts."
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Like I said in my post:

"Let your parts suppliers know that you won't accept anything but the best in American made replacement parts."

Be sure to include that your willing to accept the cost of those American made parts. An example

MD Juan (made in Philippines)  : Front lower side with hole $319.90 no shipping from Walcks
                                                   Rear body side panel $268.00 no shipping Walcks
                                                   Rear Body Side panel $319.00 no shipping Kaiser Willys

Classic Enterprises (made in USA) Front lower sides w/hole pr. $310.00 + 31.00 ship total $341.00
                                                  Rear body side panel  $250 + $25.00 shipping = $275.00

So see buying American does not have to be more expensive.

BUT I will caution just because something was made in the USA does not mean you won't have to do a LOT of rework to get it to fit. All 4 main body panels I bought from Classic required trimming and sectioning to get to fit. They state they have improved since I bought mine of that I have no direct knowledge.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 7:50pm
Good point, Mark, about the myth of imported jeep parts assumed to cost less, on average. Far from the case.
Classic Enterprises generally have a solid reputation for both the quality of their body stampings and customer service. And their supply chain only extends to Wisconsin (Go Badgers!), rather than to Manila, Mumbai, Shanghai or who knows where. But the Metric-vs.-SAE supply issue isn't part of the body stampings discussion, as it is with repop fasteners and mechanical parts such as shackle bolts.

It's simple. The focus of our hobby is vintage American Willys vehicles, so please sell me fasteners and mechanical parts with SAE-sized heads and thread forms. If this was the Nissan Patrol Page, or the Austin Gypsy Page, we'd be talking about Metric, Whitworth, etc., stuff.     
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:03pm
  Would it be possible for us to put together a - I’m not sure what to call it- like a poll, or a petition, or a statement of policy, or something that all of us that will not accept sub-standard or metric parts would sign and send to the vendors we deal with? I would be willing to be the first name on the list, and to take the idea to all of the forums I frequent, and then forward the lists to the vendors as an e-mail, or print it and mail it. 
  Opinions?   BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:05pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:29pm
OH I know you guys restoring are dealing with stuff different then I am. 95% of my threaded stuff comes from the Grade 8 or Stainless bins at ACE the rest from McMaster Carr. I was just trying to bring up a point that US Made isn't always that much more expensive and sometimes cheaper. BUT not only off shore parts require extra work to get something to fit. Be it a Lower Cowl section or a part that includes fasteners.

I do have a few Metric fasteners on CHUG but that is due to the US Fasteners not coming in the Style I want in a high enough grade for my application. The Button head bolts that secure my Roll bar mounting plates together come to mind. No US made Button heads are better then grade 5 yet in the metric world you have 10.9 = to G8 and 12.9 superior to G8 I went with a 8mm grade 10.9 instead of a Grade 5 3/8"D. Since I will most likely never remove those bolts and nuts needing a Metric wrench is no big deal.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 8:43pm
If I don't have to spend hours reworking a part to make it fit then the difference in cost is not a problem for me. I would pay extra for a part out of the box that would bolt on and work the first time.

It is very irritating to me to receive a part that is advertised to fit and have to spend several hours correcting the fit of the part. This isn't usually a problem to do the correction from a technical standpoint as I have a complete machine shop in my garage. It is the principle of the thing. Even the time really isn't a factor as I am retired. What irks me is there are fellow flatfender owners out there that don't have the facilities or the time to fiddle with mis-engineered parts. They don't have the same options that I do. The importer (Omix-ADA) should tell their suppliers that they need to produce the parts to original design specs or forget any business with Omix...

...but Omix won't do that for some crazy reason. Omix probably doesn't even check the parts they get from suppliers for accuracy.

It costs the same amount of money for a manufacturer of parts to produce a correct part as one that is almost right but doesn't fit.

As Bruce suggests, putting our collective voice in the form of a petition or letter might be the answer to passing the crappy part problem back up the supply chain. It might not be the solution but we wouldn't know unless we try something. I see the only problem as being a lack of participation.

IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 9:34pm
If memory serves me correctly, I believe Walcks makes their own wiring harnesses "in-house."

I usually shop with Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts, unless its something they don't carry, or their out of. I recently ordered new hard lines for the breaking system, and I went through Walcks, but only because their website was very specific about which lines went to each cj2a based on the serial number. RFJP didn't have that amount of detail in their ad, and their shipping is not cheap, so I didn't want to buy something and then have to return it. 

The only place I try not to buy from is Kaiser Willys, as they sell alot of metric stuff made overseas (Omix-ADA) depending what you order the quality can be hit or miss. (Usually more miss than hit IMHO)

My list:

1. Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts
2. Walcks 4WD
3. Joe's Motor Pool
4. Army Jeep Parts

Edited by IRQVET - 01 Mar. 2020 at 9:42pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>