Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Supplier Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Would it be possible for us to put together a - I’m not sure what to call it- like a poll, or a petition, or a statement of policy, or something that all of us that will not accept sub-standard or metric parts would sign and send to the vendors we deal with? I would be willing to be the first name on the list, and to take the idea to all of the forums I frequent, and then forward the lists to the vendors as an e-mail, or print it and mail it. 
  Opinions?   BW 

Underlining mine.

Bruce, Write one up. I would be honored to be # 2 on that list.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 2:55am
Count me in, Bruce.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 11:40am
I will throw in my 2 cents. I work on a lot of classic vehicles and motorcycles and the parts I get for my willys are way worse then anything I get for ANY of my older cars, trucks and bikes.  I ordered the original style exhaust hanger kit from walcks last year, my exhaust and brackets other then the muffler are all original, the only thing I ended up using was the rubber hangers which I had to modify slightly because even they were not correct. I always try to source old stock off ebay etc. or try to find slightly used now because of the poor quality in new parts. I know sometimes we don't have a choice but to buy new but I really wish they at least tried to make a good product.

Edited by oldmansimek - 02 Mar. 2020 at 11:43am
northcoastsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoastsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 6:21pm
Many of the parts RFJP sells are Joes Motor Pool, which are good quality.

Ebay and Craigslist are also good option's for bused parts, though ebay seems to be more pricey.

Don't discount normal auto suppliers too. With enough research you can find many parts at Napa, Summit, or Rock Auto, sometimes for better prices than the specialty places. I bought all my Timken wheel bearings and seals from a bearing supplier at a very good price compared to the Jeep people.

Edited by northcoastsailor - 02 Mar. 2020 at 6:23pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Would it be possible for us to put together a - I’m not sure what to call it- like a poll, or a petition, or a statement of policy, or something that all of us that will not accept sub-standard or metric parts would sign and send to the vendors we deal with? I would be willing to be the first name on the list, and to take the idea to all of the forums I frequent, and then forward the lists to the vendors as an e-mail, or print it and mail it. 
  Opinions?   BW 

Underlining mine.

Bruce, Write one up. I would be honored to be # 2 on that list.

LuzonRed47 said: Count me in, Bruce.

It's going to take more than a list of three to get anyone to take notice. I thought we had a problem here that affected all of us, and some would want to take action in some way. Was I mistaken, or is this just a lack of wanting to "get involved"?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by northcoastsailor northcoastsailor wrote:

Many of the parts RFJP sells are Joes Motor Pool, which are good quality.

Ebay and Craigslist are also good option's for bused parts, though ebay seems to be more pricey.

Don't discount normal auto suppliers too. With enough research you can find many parts at Napa, Summit, or Rock Auto, sometimes for better prices than the specialty places. I bought all my Timken wheel bearings and seals from a bearing supplier at a very good price compared to the Jeep people.

Service parts like bearings and seals are almost always available your local auto parts stores; however parts stores may not have listings on their computers for older applications. If you know the number of the original number of the tapered bearing it probably uses the standard Timken numbering system even though it was manufactured by another manufacturer. Seals can almost always be crossed over from a number on the old seal. Ball bearings can be interchanged in the same manner most of the time.

The u-joints in CJ-2A driveshafts are Spicer part number 5-153X and almost any parts store worth their salt can either supply that number or interchange it to their brand of u-joint kit.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 10:33pm
Bruce I'm with you and would be supportive to be on the list.  

Richard
Richard
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 12:08am
Bruce: You KNOW I'm with you on this. I have posted on here many times about my personal dissatisfaction with Omix-ADA's lack of concern about upholding OEM specs...

You can count on me.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 6:08pm
Count me in. I’ll be returning these metric parts to Walck’s, refund or not.
Dave
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 7:04pm
Include me as well.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 7:26pm
Interesting discussion.  It has been 70 years since the CJ2A production ended.  I can't think of anything produced today, that the common man might own of this complexity - that people will be able to get parts for 70 years from now.   Even out of spec parts that need to be reworked. 

These people should also be considered for your parts dealer list.

I am still a fan of White Owl Parts in Kinston, NC.  Ask for George he is very knowledgeable and has been in this business all his life (he is semi retired now I think).  No fancy web ordering, you have to call and have a real conversation about what you are looking for - like people did in the old days be for the Web.  If they have it they will ship it.  White Owl was a actual Willys Dealer in the 1940s.  They have a category I call R-NOS (Rusted - New Old Stock) which sometimes surprises me when I open the a package.  

I have been very impressed with Quarter Ton and Military out of Georgia also.  It is remarkable what they uncover out of old military spares warehouses from time to time - awesome.  I would recommend a road trip to walk through their shop and yard if you live with in a day's drive.  Good source for NOS or used parts.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 9:33pm
I'm in.
DMusil
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 7:00am
Hellloo everyone!! — Been a while since I stopped lurking and actually wrote about something or some one who has made THE DIFFERENCE in owning a Willys lump of metal like my ’48 2A. 
 On one hand it was quite a joy to own, but a pain when things went south. Where do you find these parts made of un-obtainium??  At first - i was so happy to find a Whitney catalog and a Montgomery Ward catalog. All the parts i every wanted and more. Trouble was - they were closing or closed everywhere.
 So - not know what kinda shady parts could be out there or fitment problems there were I ordered everything i needed, thankfully they were nearly able. Finding the missing items I got i turned on my radar to talk and source any parts what so ever. No real reference books or info made things real interesting. Some of life’s degrees of separation the friends of my brother were military and when told of my new acquisition he was told of other guys afflictions with Canadian military rigs.
  Like nearly everyone who starts this affliction - I made stupid ignorant mistakes that unbeknownst to me would affect my build later.
This was 1986 send there was really no internet :( and even less commercial sites. Stamped self addressed envelopes with typed one line papers that had no  part images and just part numbers were my reality. Those images sure would have helped from the start. 
At the risk of looking stupid - here is a small incidence of my ignorance- THose vets that my brother introduced me to a dealer of Canadian army jeeps and material. I needed tires to replace my weather checked Armstrong 7.00x16  snows. At the time Sears had their Cross Country snows and planned on getting those. In Canada, Sears was still going strong and there were no M Wards.  Went back to the surpalus store and made him a n offer that i believed really fair. I’d pay the $400 for the 4 mounted rims  AND return the ordinal 16in rims that were in a condition Id rate today as very good with minimal rust - just hand painted. Reading nearly everything i discovered Acme Jeep parts in Los Angeles. i bought a tail gate , 2 fenders and all the tune up stuff. Now i had a parts manual and repair manual too. Information - is dangerous  in the wrong hands or mind- like mine. In the next few years slowly I began to build my data base and contacts,moving ing to California in 2003. 
This move was like opening a clam. On a trip to pick up groceries at Ralph’s in Whittier Ca I ran into a man who had a ‘47 2A in pristine paint. I stood by his Jeep until het returned and we exchanged  
numbers and found time for coffee and sharing intel. I wanted some answers and pictures ...  
 Biggest  tidbit  was Border Jeep parts in Spring Valley, Ca.there he told me he had a huge warehouse of original parts. Of course my interest was lit up:) It took a while but i begged a ride there when he was going next. Jon Compton the owner, was every bit the man i was described and more. 
  About 2007 there was a huge wildfire  named the Skripps fire. In the warehouse i went to meet him he showed me a picture book of all the burned out semi trailers he had parked on a reservation because the 40+ were not zoned for mass parking of trailers . In future conversations i found out he was shipping HUGE amounts of original steel scrap to China. At that time he’d shipped 10 million pounds and had more to go. How much do 26000 original cranks weigh ?or countless other weighty bits. 
His practice of buying whatever end of manufacture numbers from Eaton or other manufacturers at fire sale prices. You’d think he’d pump his prices up. I found out when i compared to my existing data - his numbers were incredibly reasonable. What was far and away MOST valuable was his vast immediate recall of nearly his whole parts catalog. 

Over the next few years when i visited him, I had more needs and because of Jon’s contacts when I needed a case to replace when I was rebuilding my transmission i found my case was cracked. I knew where I “could” source one, but i called him and first response was - Im not sure if i still have one - he said he had many at one time but was running out . Called back and he asked me where i wanted it to go. It went to the guy who Border parts sent the parts to convert to diff lockers from original specs.
Jon had all needed parts. 

If you’re still reading this -  the best thing was that he allowed me to root around in his warehouse where I found nearly 100%  of ordinal part numbers starting with the Willys “A” numbers. i was excited and loaded up :) Many parts were in cosmoline and full range of shims etc. 
Your call to hum would be not be in vain. 
when you gave your life to this Willys interest- it really changes things for neophytes like me and this post is to pay it foreword ...
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 7:39am
Hi James, it's certainly been awhile. The last time I saw you I was picking up that front bumper weight maybe 8 years ago or so.

Anyway, I too am a big fan of Jon's. He was my source for about 95% of the parts I needed to get my shell of a '47 on the road back in 1979-80. He also rebuilt both of my axles, back when he did those types of things. 

Anyone who visits Border Parts in Lemon Grove, Ca. will never forget the visit. Here's a look from the front counter. He has a photographic memory and his own style of inventory control.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Anything metric is a big fat NO. How many guys want to carry both std and metric tools in their kit?

I carry both standard AND metric crescent wrenches in my rig.  I'm prepared.  :)
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Anything metric is a big fat NO. How many guys want to carry both std and metric tools in their kit?

I carry both standard AND metric crescent wrenches in my rig.  I'm prepared.  :)

I carry one that serves both. On one side of the handle it says “10inch” and on the other side it says “250mm”. LOL  BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by timcj2a timcj2a wrote:

Hi James, it's certainly been awhile. The last time I saw you I was picking up that front bumper weight maybe 8 years ago or so.

Anyway, I too am a big fan of Jon's. He was my source for about 95% of the parts I needed to get my shell of a '47 on the road back in 1979-80. He also rebuilt both of my axles, back when he did those types of things. 

Anyone who visits Border Parts in Lemon Grove, Ca. will never forget the visit. Here's a look from the front counter. He has a photographic memory and his own style of inventory control.

Tim
I met Jon in the early 60's  and he is a great person. We used to live in Spring Valley and his shop was just up the street.   Always wonder where Jeff Snug went. He did a lot of Jon's trans & diff work.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Barry S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2020 at 1:40am
Bruce I think you have the right idea.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease.  I think suppliers would be interested in hearing feedback plus we have nothing to loose.  I'm in!
-Barry
1947 CJ2A 93664 "Grasshopper"
1947 CJ2A 90729
194? CJ2A 04893/194304
1946 CJ2A 46745
1946 CJ2A 36723
1945 MB   413665
1971 CJ5 8305017 375392 Drive train parts donor
Bantam Trailer T3-C 25487
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>