Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passenger seat pivot brackets color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passenger seat pivot brackets color
    Posted: 23 Mar. 2021 at 9:29pm
Hi, based on the parts paint list the passenger seat hinge blocks go in gloss black, but the below picture (nice Jeep bad picture) appears to have them in body color. Are we sure these should be black?

Max
CJ2A 110861
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:23pm
That’s a good question.
I understand the passenger and rear seats were optional, so who and when were they added? Did the factory install and ship some with seats? If so then you’d think the attachments would be black.  All the small parts  the factory bolted on at assembly came in black. So it may depend at what point on the line the seat attachments were bolted on, before body paint, they’d be body color, after body painting they’d be black. Dealer installed, probably black. 
I don’t think this question can be accurately answered due to the variables of adding optional seats.
Any other thoughts?

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:29pm
I believe I recall reading early 46, 45 were brass... just another piece of the puzzle. 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:49pm
As the fuel tank hold down strap is also burgundy on this one, I am going to guess that’s there was a repaint involved along the way.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

I believe I recall reading early 46, 45 were brass... just another piece of the puzzle. 

My 45 #10033 has brass pivots, but my #10163 has the casted steel version
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:48pm
As fate would have it, I just went through trying to find the answer to this very same question earlier today. 

I "save" tons of photos - detail shots - of what I believe are accurate, authentic 46 Jeeps. I went through all of them that showed the seat pivots (about a dozen) - and at least 90% of them were black. Good enough for me, I chose black. FWIW

And my VEC #18907 has steel, not brass.

Edited by Vintage Don - 10 May 2021 at 9:50pm
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

My 45 #10033 has brass pivots, but my #10163 has the casted steel version

Thank you low for confirming I'm not crazy LOL Interesting information for sure. Looks like it's more of a 45' thing, but perhaps not all. Interesting. 
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply