Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passing along my best shipping secret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passing along my best shipping secret
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 9:54pm
I need to repay a lot of people here for their help and inspiration!  

So to start with I thought I would share what seems to be a well guarded secret in the shipping world.  And I have no connection to them. 

FASTENAL

Yup.  The nut and bolt place.  They ship from store to store at rates that absolutely cream the competitors on large items.  They apparently leave space on every truck for two pallets.  The service is called 3PL (Third Party Logistics).  

I just shipped a complete 283 with spare parts from Vermont to Tennessee for $125.  I am currently shipping 4 tires and rims from Washington state to E. Tennessee (2800 miles) for $150.

I typically didn't buy big heavy items from far away because of shipping.  Not anymore!

The deal is, they only ship from store to store.  So if its cross country it may take longer than Fedex because it may sit in a warehouse over the weekend or wait for a space on a truck if its a busy store, etc.

They either require or prefer the item is secured on a pallet (I'm not sure which).  If it requires a forklift, make sure both stores have one.  And They insure the shipment at whatever price you declare. 

Again, no connection to them.  I was just stoked over these last two shipments and I wanted to share with you guys.

PHIL

BTW here's my finished project and my next project!!!

1951 CJ3A
My build album and thread
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:04am
INTRESTING INFO ON THE SHIPPING .I WILL HAVE TO CHECK IN ON THAT FOR SURE...THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE  ClapClap

Thumbs Up  ON YOUR NEXT PROJECT !!!
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
I got the Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:20am
 Pretty good prices....for example,a few months ago I had a Chevy 153 complete engine shipped from Minnesota to western NY state. 140 bucks and that was from junkyard to junkyard using frequent commercial shipping deals.
  Hey,that Model A looks pretty original... make it a traditional hot rod?
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:23am
That is some valuable info. Just to add your Jeep Looks Great
Haines Garage 5xThumbs Up on that one!
philshevlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:35am
Originally posted by I got the Willys I got the Willys wrote:

make it a traditional hot rod?
Yup.  Trying to keep it like it was built in the 50-60's.
1951 CJ3A
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:44am
A lot of guys ship hit and miss engines through them. Usually between the $100-200 dollar range for a 600+lb hunk of cast iron.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 3:14am
Is there a size restriction?  Does it have to fit a standard pallet?  How about HAZMAT?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by philshevlin philshevlin wrote:

Nice,plan to use an early OHV like an Olds or Nailhead Buick ?.I think even a SBC dressed for the 50's looks good. Or.......flattie V-8?  Or a hotted up original engine?

Yeah,your Jeep looks very sharp ,are those radial tires?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by PhillipM PhillipM wrote:

Is there a size restriction?  Does it have to fit a standard pallet?  How about HAZMAT?

Not sure.  Check with them..

http://www.fastenal.com/web/en/22/third-party-logistics
1951 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2013 at 2:14pm

Originally posted by philshevlin philshevlin wrote:

Nice,plan to use an early OHV like an Olds or Nailhead Buick ?.I think even a SBC dressed for the 50's looks good. Or.......flattie V-8?  Or a hotted up original engine?

Yeah,your Jeep looks very sharp ,are those radial tires?
Yes. TSL Radials.

I opted for a '59 283 with an old weiand three deuce setup, 1960 T-10, juice brakes from a '48 F1, rear out of a 60's Bronco, a small 2-3" chop, tall/thin tires.

...minus the blue plug wires...
1951 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2013 at 3:15am
Just to let all y'all know, I checked into this. I called our local Fastenal and made the deal. I'm shipping an L134 to Madison , WI on a pallet for $105. They are picking it up tomorrow.   
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2013 at 5:13pm
That's great information. I figured places like autozone did stuff like this but did not know. Ill keep that in mind. Thanks!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2013 at 7:15pm
philshevlin View Drop Down ,283 with trips and a 4 speed,very nice  Hug. I have no like for the usual auto tranny rods with billet covered crate engines. I'm putting together a Muncie 4 speed from my secret stash for a friend's Model A .It's a bit more over the top with the body draggin on the road and sky high tunnel ram...But at least it has a clutch pedal.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 3:22pm
This is a pretty good deal for me:

Since Fastenal comes to our plant at least twice a week to keep our nut house full, they picked it up on site.

Thanks Phil!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philshevlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2013 at 3:47pm
Good deal!  And thanks IGTW!
1951 CJ3A
gproda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gproda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2013 at 4:36pm
just had a front clip and roll bar shipped from WA to NY..  what info am i going to have to how my local office to pick up my items ?
gproda
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2015 at 1:32am
I found my vintage Jackman rims on facebook, the owner lives in Elko NV and I'm in GA  shipped them the 2280 miles for a buck and a half $150, arrived in 3 wks.  Fastenal is the way to go.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Reply Post Reply