Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Patches"- another WWII tribute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Patches"- another WWII tribute
    Posted: 27 June 2016 at 4:54pm
Just a quick title edit and a picture of my goal:
This is an MB from my Grandfather's unit during WWII, the 134th Infantry which he fought with from the beaches of Normandy where they landed on D+21 to St Lo, Bastogne and Berlin.

This is a continuation of my thread found here: Old thread

I decided to take the body off and get a good look at everything and the good news is no cancer on the frame, the bad news is that it has had some significant damage in the past that caused a bent and cobbled together front end.

So it looks like everything is coming off and this will be a frame up resto. The good news is the engine runs strong aside from needing the carb rebuilt and a couple of smaller things like an oil filter setup and a proper bracket for the alternator.

This will be a slow build as money is available. Time to scour craigslist for an engine hoist and stand.

Edited by 2t2-crash - 20 Mar. 2017 at 3:00pm
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2016 at 7:07am
sh*t:

Got the engine out with a loaner puller and stand.

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 8:28am
Well it's been a while since I've updated.
The transfer case has been rebuilt, the engine is torn completely down and I've been working on the body. The entire passenger side was damaged badly by an accident and I've been learning how to do som serious body work and panel replacement. The front right corner has been cut out and awaits the $$ for a replacement corner. The tool box was cut out cleaned and rust repaired and is now back in. The rear corner is cut out and needs repair/replacement.
   The game plan for this is to make it a WWII look alike so small things will be changed. Overall the tub is trashed so I don't feel guilty doing what I am doing to it.
The rear tailgate is going and will be replaced with a new MB rear panel since the twilight panels are already destroyed.

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 8:37am
Foul language in this video, it shows my first look.
https://youtu.be/A67QJEWSEhA
Patch panel removed

2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2017 at 6:26am
Got a new quarter panel fabricated and installed. I still need to cut and weld on the 1/4" lip that goes on the bottom of the panel but that's easy enough.

[URL=http://s66.photobucket.com/user/2T2_Crash/media/CJ2A/9DE38F17-DFE6-49F7-A8F0-3B5940DBBED4_zpsimluotg8.jpg.html]

[/URL]
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 6:14pm
Anyone have experience with hammering out this sort of crap that could give me some tips?

Body reinforcement the poor man's way:

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 7:56pm
Really, the right tools make the job easier. Many times a smaller hammer will do less damage and not stretch the metal as much so you have less to fix afterwards.
uncamonkey
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 10:30pm
I used something solid for backing to dolley out my dents.These are some of the tools I used to dolley out dents with my hammer.Vintage cast iron,piece of rail road track,cast iron shoe tool ,you get the picture.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 10:33pm
Ok, so I'm on the right track by looking at hammer on dolly and body hammer kits.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2017 at 10:43pm
Nice work on that quarter panel you made.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Nice work on that quarter panel you made.

Thankyou, that was the first time I've made something like that.

More update:
Bubba struck and I couldn't let it stand, plus there was some skin cancer on the other side in the metal.

Still working on my shaping skills but the bottom gap was bridged with thin metal scrap so that the arc would suck up the metal and bridge the gap easier.... thanks for the tip Dad! (Having a professional career welder as the coach helps)

It's been cleaned up and polished up since that last picture.

My rear floor deck needs to go, should I stick with 18g steel or go for something a little thicker?
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 10:54am
Looking good. I see your tub is in similar shape as mine. Keep at it! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 1:46pm
Nice job. I respect anyone that takes on that much rust on a tub. Can't wait to see the end result. Looking good so far.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 6:25pm
Thanks guys.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2017 at 10:59pm
Ugh... the more I work on the tub to fix bubba': work the more I dig up that needs fixing.
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 5:17pm
How does a fat guy with a bad back make it easier to work on the tub? He makes a hole!

Also: Home Depot bought 4" cutoff wheels for an angle grinder suck. I had 5 of them and only one lasted while the others all had catastrophic failures before even reaching 50% use wear.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 7:59pm
I have had extremely good luck with the cheap ones from Harbor freight almost all have lasted until they were to small to reach the work.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
2t2-crash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2t2-crash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have had extremely good luck with the cheap ones from Harbor freight almost all have lasted until they were to small to reach the work.

The previous disks I had used were from HF and I agree, they lasted really well with only on disk exploding but that one was my own damn fault.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>