Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Patina paint ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patina paint ?
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 7:53pm
Redoing a 1946 2a. Orignal paint (which I have) was a medium green. Then red, blue and green spray paint. Body is solid but dings and dents. Don't want to much bondo but thinking prime (brown) brown paint and then the original green. Then scuff back the original green in high wear areas. Looking for the older but respectible finish. Any thoughts and past experience would be welcome. As always, thank you. Bob
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, If I was married to you I would poison your coffee. Churchill's reply, if I was married to you I would drink it!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 8:22pm
Hey Bob,

I have tried to save as much of the "original" patina on my rig as possible. 
I did replace all the floors and do some patch jobs on the side panels. I then tried to replicate the patina with several different colors of spray paint shot on randomly in different layers then knocked back some with a sanding block to try to make it more natural looking. i found that red primer as a base was pretty good for mine since it had Luzon Red under the Robin Egg blue top coat along with all the fading and rust. I also mixed in some black for the darker rust spots and I found that a little white on top of the blue helped it to look a bit more faded. 
I took a little bit of rusty body panel that I cut out that still had a pretty good chip of the blue color on it down to the local auto paint store and had them mix me  up a spray can that matched as close as they could. 

Here's the page from my build thread where I have some pics of my steps. (page 10 if it doesn't take you there.)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
CJ2AMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJ2AMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 2:05am
I painted mine last week, used a black base trying to fake the weathered look.  Still evolving as I wet sand with 1500 grit, and then in 6 months buff with rubbing compound, polish and wax. 

Try to save the original weather look if possible, much better look in my opinion. Sometimes just not possible to save or you start with a Willys that had been stripped and painted dark red metallic 40 years ago like I had to work with. 
Mark

'46 CJ2A SN 40269
 Post Reply Post Reply