Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a Cherokee
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 2:14am
Well since I have been in Oregon ( and my 2A is still in Ohio) I have been looking for another Jeep. ( Just a little obsessed with them...)

Bought this a week or two ago...

1974 Jeep Cherokee S.  401 auto. I am the 3rd owner. 1st owner bought it in '73 and sold it April 2013.  Needs some work. (Carburetor work, has dual exhaust but pipes rusted off, passenger front floor needs repaired and little miscellaneous) Overall I am happy with it.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 2:15am
Also '74 was the first year for the Cherokee. I am also from '74 LOL Guess it was meant to be.
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 2:22am
SUPER COOL!!! Nice find!
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Mhovey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 2:49am
Nice! I had an '82 Jeep Wagoneer which is very similar to the early Cherokees. Really neat vehicle, and built like a tank! Unfortunatley they're not too good on gas LOL
-Matt

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Mhovey46 Mhovey46 wrote:

built like a tank! LOL

My hrother-in-law had one just like that. It saved my nieces life one night when she was driving it home from work and a full size horse jumped in front of her at sbout 40 mph. Killed the horse, and the jeep couldn't be saved, but my niece walked away with just a few bruises.
My brother-in-law still grieves for that jeep.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 3:18am
Nice,we had a few wagoneers ,and a golden eagle for several years,I think they all had 360 s.The quad track was a nice feature in them,not sure what years had it though! Good luck with it.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 1:44pm
That's in pretty good shape. How is oregon treating you?
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 11:56pm

The body looks decent on that one.

What a coincidence.  I was just thinking recently that if I had time for another project that I would like to get another one of those.  (We used to have a '77 that looked a lot like that).   I even looked on eBay one night to see what was out there.

It would be cool to have an oldy - > to pull the trailer,  without all today's wiz-bang gadgets and electronics that I will never take the time to figure out.

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 1:17am
Hey Beretta

My cousin had one (early 1980's maybe late 1970's)and I got to tide in the backseat to the pizza store once...crazy vehicle...his had leather seats...360 engine...electric windows I think too....he sold it to so he could pay off his new to him boat...
very very cool vehicles....classic cool..:)

So how are liking Oregon???....you missing the Ohio area at all??

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Mhovey46 Mhovey46 wrote:

Nice! I had an '82 Jeep Wagoneer which is very similar to the early Cherokees. Really neat vehicle, and built like a tank! Unfortunatley they're not too good on gas LOL

LOL 401 V8, 3 speed automatic, full time 4 wheel, aero dynamics of a brick...good thing I have dual tanks...ConfusedLOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

That's in pretty good shape. How is oregon treating you?

Treating me okay... still need to find work Confused otherwise I like the area. Some very strange people around here LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 2:51am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

The body looks decent on that one.

What a coincidence.  I was just thinking recently that if I had time for another project that I would like to get another one of those.  (We used to have a '77 that looked a lot like that).   I even looked on eBay one night to see what was out there.

It would be cool to have an oldy - > to pull the trailer,  without all today's wiz-bang gadgets and electronics that I will never take the time to figure out.

Actually it is in decent shape for being 40. Passenger floor needs work, rusted through there but the rest of it is pretty decent. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 2:53am
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Hey Beretta....

So how are liking Oregon???....you missing the Ohio area at all??

MikeC

I like it here but I do miss Ohio and what is there. Don't miss the snow and sub zero weather though.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 7:07pm
And we've had that too! It's not bad now, but last week we had 10-15 below. Yup, oregon has it's share of nutbags!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2014 at 6:00am

A photo of mine,  many years ago.   I wish now that I still had it.

On the way to Jeep Jamboree in Murphy, NC

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2014 at 7:07pm
Ron, That is a great photo!
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2014 at 12:01am
Nice!  I really like those.  Getting one is on my "list"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2014 at 6:17pm
Little update. Actually this is a little update. LOL

Had my exhaust redone from the manifolds back. What was on there was 2 inch and the stock Y pipe was cut, plugged and then ran out the back. New one is 2.5 inch to the end of the transmission then goes down to 2.25.

Added mirrors!

This is how it was since I bought it, all it had was the tiny drivers door mirror, no passenger side and the interior fell off.

Now I have all three.

The stock one will stay on until I make a cover plate for it.

Other then that just minor stuff done to it.

Still need to get it running right. Need to replace the ignition points (I have never done it, my 2A has electric ignition.) and tune the carb. I miss having a garage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>