Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

I like the no steering wheel cover up grade Clap

Glad to see I’m not the only one who takes pictures of my odometer. 

That’s awesome you get to drive on the beach!!

Maybe someday I can bring my wagoneer across the state and we can get pics of both on the beach Big smile

Thanks Ben. Once the wheel cover was removed I realized how nasty it really was.

Let me know if you do ever come out this way and we will get that picture.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2018 at 3:26pm
Changed the oil yesterday. 70125 miles.
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:00am
70125 miles on that oil? LOL
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:32am
Changed my calendar today to check something and did a double take Shocked

I forgot it was in there!!

SWEET JEEP Clap

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

70125 miles on that oil? LOL

LOL No, This is just a reminder for me as to when I changed it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:08pm

Changed my calendar today to check something and did a double take Shocked

I forgot it was in there!!

SWEET JEEP Clap

Thanks Ben. I actually forgot it was in there too Embarrassed Mine is still packed away somewhere Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:49am
Well dig that sucker out!!!
Can’t waste the best monthBig smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 4:25pm
Finally bought myself a brand new windshield wiper motor. The one I replaced did work but was noisy, would not shut of if I let it run to long and when I would shut it off it would not "park" at the lowest point.

Such a big difference with the new one. Now watch it not rain ever again
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 4:06pm
Well that would be worth it then.  LOL
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 3:01pm
This is my drivers side vent window. These two pieces should be secured together by those two rivits. As you can clearly see they are not one anymore.  I dislike rust.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:19pm
So not being able to fix the winged window properly I move to the main window. Never went up or down easily and seem to get stuck in certain spots needed a little assistance.  I remove everything from the door. (Also the lock mechanism to lube everything up.)

Of course the spring in the window regulator is broken Angry   I don't think it is a big piece of the spring that is broke but enough where it will need addressed in the future. It has a cover with rivets so I can't see how bad it is and I will not drill them out until I get a new one.

I cleaned up all the metal to metal contact points on the regulator. Replaced the the bolt and added a sleeve that connects the regulator and window channel together. Lubed up the door lock latch then put everything back in the door.

Window works almost perfect now and way better then before. Door latch feels better too.

I now remove the instrument cluster to super glue one of the lenses back on.  Lower the steering column, remove screws, disconnect speedometer cable and all wires. Take cluster apart and super glue lens back in place. Put everything back together then reinstall in the dash.  

Now I am finished, ready to start it up ( First time since Friday) and move it so I can change my girlfriends Jeeps oil and rotate the tires.

Cherokee wont start. Cranks but does not fire. Spray starting fluid starts and dies. More starting fluid and it starts.  Running rough for a little but clears up. 

Fuel gauge and temp gauge are slightly jumping, which I don't recall them doing. Angry

Take the cluster back out, Again. Everything is connected correctly.

Ouch
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 5:25pm
Nothing really new.  Embarrassed
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2018 at 4:04pm
Getting the day off today. Drove my 2A to work.

The parts Cherokee I have been scavenging off of will someday soon be relieved of its drivers side wing window. Checked it last week and it appears to be in decent shape. I'll know more once removed.

Other then that it has been used to clean up our yard. Some previous residents of the land we live on were disgusting. The trash left around the property boggles my mind. There is still a bunch of trash that is hidden in bushes and overgrowth.

Just removed a lot of scrap metal that is so rusty the interior of my Cherokee is covered with rust flakes of all sizes.

I really need to find a Bantam or similiar style trailer.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 9:30pm
Last week I took this Jeep to the College I work for auto shop and balanced the tires. 2 rims did not take much to balance. The other 2 was a different story, they both took a lot of weights to balance.

Now it does not shake or shimmy nearly as bad as it was, which is nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 2:51am
SMOOOOOOTHHHHBig smile
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 6:04am

SMOOOOOOTHHHHBig smile

Kind of. LOL

Yesterday had a guy stop by in a '78 Cherokee from Longview Washington. For some reason he seamed in awe of my Cherokee even though his was in way better shape and a manual transmission! Actually he just stopped because he said he never sees other Cherokees  LOL

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2018 at 5:55pm
Hello berettajeep,

Any advice or wisdom on the Cherokee SJ that might come in handy when purchasing? Typical spots for rust, frame rot, mechanical failures that kid of stuff... I believe these were the AMC years? Are these Cherokee's as tough as the 80's Wagoneer's? I would eventually like to find one for a daily driver back and forth to work about 20 miles round trip. On the weekends or long trips we could use my Wife's new Kia Wink This would be my only vehicle so i was hoping to get your insight on reliability and function...

Thank you,
GG

This one recently poped up in IL - What do you think on the price?

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2018 at 12:06am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Hello berettajeep,

Any advice or wisdom on the Cherokee SJ that might come in handy when purchasing? Typical spots for rust, frame rot, mechanical failures that kid of stuff... I believe these were the AMC years? Are these Cherokee's as tough as the 80's Wagoneer's? I would eventually like to find one for a daily driver back and forth to work about 20 miles round trip. On the weekends or long trips we could use my Wife's new Kia Wink This would be my only vehicle so i was hoping to get your insight on reliability and function...

Thank you,
GG

This one recently poped up in IL - What do you think on the price?

That '76 looks nice, not $8000 dollars nice in my opinion.

Places to look for rust:
Above both rear wheels and behind them.
The cowl vents in front of the front doors like to collect leaves.
Under the passenger side front parking light, that panel is notorious for getting tools stuck behind it, Ive seen wrenches and screwdrivers rusting through

I like the 401 and the 401 likes gas stations. I would prefer manual ( Not available from the factory with a 401 in Jeeps but I'm sure some are out there)
My auto is a Turbo 400. Later ones came with the Chrysler 727 (? I'm not sure.)

Borg-Warner transfer case is full time 4x4 unless a part time kit was added. Personally I'd rather have something else but it works. Parts are not easy to obtain. I think they just started making made in U.S.A. T/C chains again. (I've heard the other options are junk, not first hand knowledge on that though)

Transfer case is also off set to the passenger side, as is the rear axle. Keep that in mind if you find a FSJ with no engine or trans. A lot of people do LS swap into these, since there are billions of those motors.

I see that '76 still has the amp gauge. People have had there Cherokee/ Wagoneers go up in flames from it. There is a write up on putting a volt gauge there instead. One of the first upgrades I did.

Tailgate window motor wiring goes bad. There was a guy selling a harness to replace the factory one and uses relays, but he has since passed on.

He also made one for the headlights, again using relays. My headlight switch used to get super hot before I put in the new harness. now it doesn't

Some websites

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/ Great site.
http://www.ifsja.org/ The mothership, as they call it. Not very active like it used to be but tons of info.

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/ Dealt with numerous times and will continue too. Also get a discount if a member of fsjnetwork.

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/ I have never dealt with them. I've heard good and bad.

There is more but this is off the top of my head while at work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>