Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2015 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Oldwillys Oldwillys wrote:

Nice jeeps,towing is not a bad option.

Thanks. I do prefer driving them though. LOL I would like to attend the Oregon get together later this year and it is (If I remember correctly) about 4 hours away. This way will get me there faster.

(Although I don't plan on driving a whole lot faster then what the Willys can do.)
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2015 at 1:10am
Finally I have a battery hold down and tray.  It was a rusted mess when I first got it. Someone on a FSJ site was parting out a Wagoneer so I bought, what I thought, was a stock battery tray. Sadly it was not. Confused

It was 16 gauge metal just bent up on the edges but it works and I did not pay to much for it.

No pictures cause well it is not really that interesting to look at. LOL Just piece of mind knowing the battery is not sliding around the engine area.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2015 at 2:37am
Well something is draining the battery. Angry Wouldn't start today.   New Battery, starter, battery cables ( 1 gauge ) and replaced the AMP meter with a volt meter.  Shows it is at 14 volts while running so.....

Alternator is still the stock 36 amp or whatever it is with the external regulator. I do have everything to upgrade the alternator to 120 amps just don't have time or space to swap everything. Cry
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2015 at 1:56am
Since my interior door panels were water damaged and mangled from previous owner installing speakers.

It is basically a cover (What you see) glued to a cardboard backing. I was able to separate them and trace the old card board on 1/8 inch board, like peg board but with out the holes.  I cut them out today and they look better then what I had. Still have to glue the cover back on but once I do that I will reinstall them in the Jeep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 3:37am
Well my alternator is being a pain. It has an external regulator. Not really charging. I am upgrading it ( Already have the new one) to an internal regulator, but I need to change the brackets. Since I am doing that I figured replace the water pump. If I am going to do that I might as well replace the timing chain...  All these parts waiting patiently to go on...  Thinking I will try to do this Sunday. We'll see. Confused
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 3:57am
And while you are at it the Oil Pump?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

And while you are at it the Oil Pump?

Already have that too....  It seems like an over whelming amount of work that needs to be done in one day..Which is why I have put off starting it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 6:25am
Well finally started the "rebuild"

Did not get as much as I wanted too done cause my girlfriend brought me dinner and then my boss stopped back at work and we all BS'ed for a couple of hours.  Going back early tomorrow morning to (hopefully) finish it. Confused
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2015 at 5:08pm
Updates.

Finished...for the most part.

Everything came apart smooth. Nothing broke! LOL

Old timing chain.

Video of how little slack there was Confused

New chain on.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2015 at 5:20pm
Everything went back together easily. Took my time to make sure everything was super clean. Girlfriend helped by also cleaning parts. She put the valve covers on too! ( She did drop 2 of the bolts for them into the pit below but luckily I found them both the next day.)

So new timing chain, rebuilt the oil pump, new water pump, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, oil pan gaskets, new alternator and associated brackets to mount it.

Had some clearance issues with the harmonic balancer/ water pump casting. Nothing a little filing could not fix.

At first start up Thursday afternoon "Clang clang clang!" Quickly shut it down. All my co-workers come outside. Embarrassed I look over everything but don't see what it could be. So as I am laying on the ground and someone is watching the engine a third person starts it. It ends up being the fan blades making contact with the bolts I used to make the fan shroud cover. ( Since my shroud was broken.) Quick fix as I loosen the passenger side and lifted it up.

I also replaced the fuel lines so it was only running from what fuel was in the carburetor bowl. Once fuel did run through the new lines it started leaking out single fuel line tube mating surface against the carb. I replaced the crush gaskets I used with another set and all was good.

Now I need to fine tune everything ( Which is not my specialty)

I will need to redo the oil pan gaskets. It is still leaking near the main seal. I used a 4 piece set but I believe there is a one piece gasket. ( Of course this is after I already had the 4 piece.)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 5:52am
Driving this one at least once a week but everything is going good, for the most part. Had to rebuild the pitman shaft on the gear box and by rebuild I am saying replace the gasket and snap ring. The old one snapped so the gasket worked its way down creating another leak. Rear main seal still leaks...

I need to wrap the exhaust as on hot and humid days it will boil the fuel. Angry The drivers side exhaust runs close to the fuel tank
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 10:44am
Dennis, another thing in a addition to wrapping the exhaust is to use some of that slip on ( they have two or three different sizes) heat sleeve for the fuel line tubing......it helps and is easy to work with, just cut to length, undo one end of the fuel line and slip it on, reconnect and it's done.

Seemed to help for me.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Dennis, another thing in a addition to wrapping the exhaust is to use some of that slip on ( they have two or three different sizes) heat sleeve for the fuel line tubing......it helps and is easy to work with, just cut to length, undo one end of the fuel line and slip it on, reconnect and it's done.

Seemed to help for me.

Chad, I am running some heat sleeve.  The fuel line runs down the drivers side to the fuel pump then up and across the motor to the passenger side of the carburetor.  So far I have the line from the pump to the carb sleeved.

I think it has helped some.

With the suggestion from my manager, I also used an additive, Redline,  in the cooling system which is "suppose" to lower temps by 20 degrees.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:10pm
I've used it too but I don't think I'm seeing 20 degrees myself .

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2015 at 9:53pm
Replace the passenger side exhaust flange gasket today. Noticed I am leaking more oil. Angry Some drips on the oil pump and some dripping onto the front drive shaft which is throwing it on to the exhaust.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2015 at 4:30pm
Driving this everyday as the throw out bearing in the CJ2A is making an awful lot of noise.

Still has oil leaking. Thinking rear main :x The longer I run the Jeep and the hotter the motor gets, it leaks more. Getting thrown on to the front driveshaft, which is throwing it onto the exhaust pipe.

Also this Jeep runs very hot! Temp gauge says normal, so it must be accurate :roll: Only have a 2 mile drive to work but it radiates heat ( More then I think it should)

First start up in the morning it is at about 1200 rpms, drive to the corner and it drops to around 900 rpms. By the time I get to work it is at 650 rpms. Idles nice and smooth, doesn't stumble on take off.

It is running rich, as in previous owner install way bigger needle and seats. (When I rebuilt I did not even look at what size they were just noted where I took them out of. Last week I took out the needles and it is a .113 :shock: Stock Carter 1406 is a .098. Already got a new rebuild kit and replacement needles and seats.) ( Yes I enjoy doing things over and over....)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2015 at 7:31am
Fixed my passenger side window today.  Nothing was holding the glass in the frame channel, so if it was rolled down the glass would fall out. Angry

I took a bike inner tube, folded it in half over the glass and pushed the window channel on to it.  Fits nice and snug. Now I can roll the window up and down with out it falling out.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2015 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Fixed my passenger side window today.  Nothing was holding the glass in the frame channel, so if it was rolled down the glass would fall out. Angry

I took a bike inner tube, folded it in half over the glass and pushed the window channel on to it.  Fits nice and snug. Now I can roll the window up and down with out it falling out.

This worked out really well that I am going to do this to the drivers side door.

Rebuilt the carburetor. Was always running rich. Here is what I did.

Older Carter Carb 1406 600cfm

Set up how I got it.

Primary .095; Secondary .100; Rod .071 x .047 (This rod is for the 750cfm. Confused) Orange (5") step up spring.

A stock one should be:

Primary .098 Secondary .095; Rod .075 x .047; Yellow (4") step up spring.

Since I did not have that rod, and look at the Edelbrock calibration chart I went 1 stage up on power but stock cruise.

What I did.

Primary .098; Secondary .095; Rod .070 x .037. Yellow (4") step up spring.

(Of course after I got this all together and on the Jeep I came in to post this. I noticed my mistake.)

With this set up I should of went with .095 for both primary and secondaries. Did not have another set of .095's though. Embarrassed

Put it back on the Cherokee, started it up ( took a second for fuel to reach it) and it ran good. Took the cold start idle down and it wouldn't idle really well. Bumped it up a little and it ran good.

Of course as I was doing this it went from a mist to a shower. Angry So I will make more adjustments when it is a tad drier outside...

Edited by berettajeep - 25 Oct. 2015 at 11:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>