Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Piston pin nut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piston pin nut
    Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 6:23pm
What does one use to torque the bolt for the piston pin.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 6:46pm
I used one of these, remember to install on torque wrench 90 deg to torque wrench handle or you have to calculate the torque applied
 https://www.protorquetools.com/formula-to-add-an-adapter-to-a-torque-wrench/

Some use their calibrated elbow to torque the bolt, that works also

Edited by jeeper50 - 18 Sep. 2018 at 6:49pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 8:37pm
I use these.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/ats-3882-916-36392.html

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 8:58pm
And my wife thinks I have to many tools. Thanks guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

And my wife thinks I have to many tools. Thanks guys.

There is no such thing as too many tools, nor too much fun!

IDK About too many Jeeps. I had, at one time, 15 Jeeps +/or Willys. That was not too many.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 9:15pm
Yea I'm with you on that.  I let here see all my hammers at once one time.  Big mistake.
I was thinking a crows foot but none of the heads on any of the 4 torque wrenches I own would fit in there.  I didn't even know they made these.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 9:26pm

Yea I'm with you on that.  I let here see all my hammers at once one time.  Big mistake.
I was thinking a crows foot but none of the heads on any of the 4 torque wrenches I own would fit in there.  I didn't even know they made these.
A crow foot is going to throw off your readings on a torque wrench a bit. I used to know how to do the math to correct for it.
uncamonkey
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 10:06pm
The math is a percentage of what you have compared to what you are supposed to have. Say you have a wrench that is 1 foot long. You apply a 10 pound force to rotate a nut. The resulting torque is 10 foot-pounds. Say you then add a 1 foot cheater to the end and again apply 10 pounds. Now you would have 2x10 or or 20 foot-pounds of torque. If what you want is 10 the force applied would be 5 pounds. I hope this helps someone as much as knowing that a tool I don’t have exists has helped me. I don’t know how many times I have quested at a torque when I couldn’t he a torque wrench on it. Never again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 10:15pm

The math is a percentage of what you have compared to what you are supposed to have. Say you have a wrench that is 1 foot long. You apply a 10 pound force to rotate a nut. The resulting torque is 10 foot-pounds. Say you then add a 1 foot cheater to the end and again apply 10 pounds. Now you would have 2x10 or or 20 foot-pounds of torque. If what you want is 10 the force applied would be 5 pounds. I hope this helps someone as much as knowing that a tool I don’t have exists has helped me. I don’t know how many times I have quested at a torque when I couldn’t he a torque wrench on it. Never againT

That is sort of how I remember it but you need to calculate the extra length from the end of the torque wrench to the center of the bolt you are working with, You also need to know how to use a torque wrench. How you hold your hand makes a difference. My friends have the clickey wrenches and they can screw them up quite well. You have to release the tension on the adjuster. They end up borrowing my old beam wrench.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 4:52am
If you follow Jeeper50's advice, no calculations are needed. Put the crows foot extension at 90 degrees to the beam of the torque wrench & use the torque wrench like normal. Note: you will need to use a short extension between them to get the torque wrench up out of the piston itself.

The issue comes when you can not use 90 degrees. Then you will need to use a little trigonometry to figure out the conversion rate.

What I like about the cylinder base wrenches is, they have both ends concentric. Thus, there is no need to worry about angles or conversions. Plus, they are long enough that the torque wrench will not hit the piston. Win, win.

Uncamonkey, Your friends need to release the tension on the "clicky" torque wrenches after every use. I do with mine & all of them re-certify each year with no issues. Thirty two years of almost daily use, & counting so far, for all four of them.

Your friends also need to use them properly. When the wrench clicks, stop applying torque, do not move the nut/bolt another degree! This is what most folks do wrong with them. I have seen experienced mechanics get another 1/4 turn after the click! How can that be right? Not only is it hard on the torque wrench, but the fastener is over-torqued as well. 

This is a pet peeve of mine. If you are going to misuse, (read abuse), a tool, do not blame it when it fails. Heck, they come with instructions, read & follow these instructions. This is not rocket science! OK, maybe the trigonometry part is.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 6:01am
So like this. 

Edited by Mike F - 19 Sep. 2018 at 6:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 6:28am
I understand it all very well. I used to do Jeep mechanics for a living and I can build up anything from a 134 to a full race Corvette motor Throw in a Harley if you want to. That thing would rip your socks off even if it was still an 80ci motor. It scared riders. It took 104s to even keep up. I understand the clicky wrenches so that is why they borrow my beam wrenches.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2018 at 1:13pm
Mike, yes, that is it!
 Post Reply Post Reply