Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Placement of frame number cj2 46.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Placement of frame number cj2 46.?
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 7:50am
Hello. I have a cj2 from 1946. It has run in the Danish army from 46 to 61. I can not find a frame number on it. Does anyone know where it will be at the vintage.? The number is 25949
I'm a little afraid that it's not the original frame.
Thanks in advance
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 8:36am
That is not a CJ-2A frame it is CJ-3A frame and will not have a serial number plate on it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 9:07am
I knew it.Angry Is there no number in a cj3? 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:55am
They stopped putting tags on frames on cj2a's in '48 I believe... 3A's never had them.  Late 2a's have the 3a style frame.  Are you sure it's a '46?  At 25949 it should still have some VEC traits...

Oh, and welcome to the page!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

They stopped putting tags on frames on cj2a's in '48 I believe... 3A's never had them.  Late 2a's have the 3a style frame.  Are you sure it's a '46?  At 25949 it should still have some VEC traits...

Oh, and welcome to the page!

No late 2A's have late 2A style frames ...... more photo's please!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:02pm
 Thanks for the welcome Smile   Paper says cj2a from 1946. I've always had a suspicion that something was wrong with the frame. It is very nice and without rust. The top I know is a 3b cut down in height and almost without rust. I could live with that, but not that the frame is a 3a when the papers are 2a.It probably went a little fast to buy it.Ouch
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:10pm
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:31pm
You can put a frame tag on it if you wish. It would go on the outside of the drivers side frame end. The 3a frame is a stronger frame so it’s an upgrade. Your jeep has the 3a style windshield anyway and it looks like the axe & shovel indents were home made. Do you know what? 99% of all the people in Denmark 🇩🇰 or the USA 🇺🇸 will NOT know the difference regarding your frame. The windshield is the most obvious difference. My 48 CJ2a has the 3a frame as well. My guess is your radiator is mounted to your grill and not to the frame. That tells me the body/frame combination is all 3a. Please don’t let it bother you too much. If you want it to look like a 2a then just swap out the windshield. Enjoy the hell out of it. 
What is the engine number? You can tell a lot from that. What does the body tag or the serial number tag look like?  Does your body and tailgate have an ACM number? You probably have a salad jeep. At some point it may have gotten a new frame and maybe a new body.  Someone tried to make it look like an MB at some point. 

Edited by damar2yxr - 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:43pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 1:07pm
The problem is that I do not know about the right frame still exists, so there are two similar cars. In Damnark we have very high tax on cars (about 150%) and it will give a lot of trouble to be cheated on it. Maybe I bought it a bit expensive,  but I thought it was a cj2 frame from the Danish army. I have mounted the ax and the shovel.The axe is 3D printed..We also have a very strict weapon law.Wink
 I like the low window frame. Maybe I could find papers on a cj3a..
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

No late 2A's have late 2A style frames  

Lee

Ugh... late 2A or late 3A?  I thought I read late 2a's got that frame during a transition to 3A... I obviously have to stop commenting on anything I haven't held in my own hands, or seen with my own eyes Confused

ETA:

Edited by mbullism - 18 Jan. 2018 at 2:19pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:22pm
A late 2A frame still has the engine mount plates "in-line" with each other.  True 3A frames have offset engine mounting plates.

Looks like a CJ3B windshield.

It does have 2A seat frames, so the tub could be a 2A Tub.  We need more photos!!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

A late 2A frame still has the engine mount plates "in-line" with each other.  True 3A frames have offset engine mounting plates.

3A "style" frames, not 3A frames... in the context of the above speaking specifically to the lack of bumper gussets
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 5:17pm
An AXE is a weapon in Denmark? WOW so why isn't a shovel. Shovels were used a lot in trench warfare. OK I'll go away now.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:37am
Welcome to the page! 

That looks like a CJ-3B windshield frame to me, too.  A most important question: Does it run? 

More questions: Did the Danish army keep good records on their vehicles?  Would those records make mention of a changed frame?  Would it help to know and have a record of that?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:19am
I apologize for any spelling mistakes, using Googel translate. 
The whole body is from a 3B.  except dashboard that is probably from the cj2 that I have the papers on. The engine is running. I'm working and collecting the pieces together before painting. 
I do not think the army has changed frames.
Jeppe q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeppe q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

An AXE is a weapon in Denmark? WOW so why isn't a shovel. Shovels were used a lot in trench warfare. OK I'll go away now.
You may not walk on the street i DK with a pocket knife, unless you're at work where you need it, or you're on the way in the woods or on a fishing trip. There has just been one who was charged with illegal arms imports. He had ordered a knife with a kydex holster. There was an eye for a string in the bottom of the holster, so it could be worn around the neck, and there is no go in DK. The knife was ok, but not holster. So an ax on the side of the car ..Confused That is what we are up against.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:51am
I'd be on a perpetual fishing trip at work... LOL

That said, living in Massachusetts has it's own lunacy.  I once had an online retailer refuse to sell and ship a pole pruner to me because it had a blade on it.  I said of course it has a blade on it, it's a pole pruner... the conversation came to a quick end when I asked if there had been a rash of pole pruner attacks in the news that I had missed-

Regulating the implement is useless, and regulating the evil in a persons heart is impossible... humans are incredibly creative.  They'll find a way.

Edited by mbullism - 19 Jan. 2018 at 9:01am
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

3A "style" frames, not 3A frames... in the context of the above speaking specifically to the lack of bumper gussets

True!, but to be more specific and true to the Jeep family tree I'd say the 3A had a late 2A "Style" frame . A late 2A cannot have a 3A style frame, as the 3A came later!....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>