Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for 1948 Willy’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelinGypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans for 1948 Willy’s
    Posted: 10 July 2018 at 6:17am
I have an all original, part numbers matching, running and driving 1948 Cj-2a that served as my grandparents farm truck since the 1960’s. It’s pretty beat up cosmetically and I’m currently in the painstaking process of removing 3 coats of paint and repainting the exterior and bedlining the interior. As well as fixing various carburetor and electrical problems; but I can’t believe this thing still drives around after hardly being worked on for 70 years...

Lately I’ve been very interested in lifting it to accommodate a 32”-33” 10.5” wide tire. I’ve researched a few different options such as yj spring conversion as well as a cj5 spring conversion, and I’m not really sure what to do.

I’m completely new to these flat fenders and only have experience working on older Toyota trucks.

My budget is extremely limited, and I’m not trying to maintain the stock aspect of the Jeep; I want to build it into a cheap, fun trail rig.

What would my best options be for a lift? I’m comfortable welding on new hangers and such for new springs, but I’m really not sure what options are the best fit for me.

oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:25pm
These little trucks will accommodate whatever you want to throw at them - BUT - then there are the unexpected consequences that will soon eat up your limited budget. Rancho used to make a 1.5 inch lift kit that consisted of new springs and shackles that would just bolt onto the original hangers. I used it and put on the size tires that you mentioned and it worked as advertised. But Lord help you if you went through a stream and got the wheels wet- that would remove the option of stopping. Had to make a choice between a tree and a beaver pond. The tree won! My budget then had to expand for new brakes, and then new brake lines, and then a new master cylinder, and brake light switch, and a new front bumper, and on and on she goes. So just have fun and I'm sure you will get some more ideas from the forum - Welcome Aboard.
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:47pm
Gyosy,
Welcome aboard.
I always say, it’s your rig do what you want, but since you ask....

I believe that everything that we do to these things is a trade off. Bigger engine= more power AND more breakage due to overtaxing parts not built handle the extra stress.

Bigger tires and lift also have their pluses and minuses. You get some more belly clearance, but you also get your center of gravity up in the air for easier rollovers. This is especially true on these short wheelbases.  Wide tires MAY give you better grip (I’m not totally convinced of this based on personal observation and expierience), but the added size and weight definitely add to the likelihood of broken axles or steering components.

A couple of examples.

Here’s me going up The Escalator in Moab. Basically stock NDT tires and wheels. Stock motor etc.

Here’s a high powered TJ with big tires and lift NOT making it. He did take a terrible line, but still.....

Whatever you decide, we love to follow along.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:16pm
Just my opinion...

Skip the bedliner.  Put the money towards your desired suspension upgrades.

Congratulations and welcome to the 2A Page.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
WheelinGypsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelinGypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:26pm
I got the Bedliner kit for free so I’m just going to get it out of the way. The tub is original but extremely beat up and has new floor pans riveted in place.

Will I need to box it the front of the Frame to add the YJ Springs? And should I go with stock YJ springs or lifted ones? Also, any ideas on some good hangers and shackles?

I’ll post some pictures later today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelinGypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:34pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Just my opinion...

Skip the bedliner.  Put the money towards your desired suspension upgrades.

Congratulations and welcome to the 2A Page.

X2...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:56pm
My opinion, but......
If you want a cheap, fun trail rig, leave it stock. You're only asking for more work and expense by modifying it. 
If you want the bedliner kit out of your way, throw it in the trash, don't put it in your jeep. 
Again, JMO.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 9:03pm
Some 7.50-16s will work with very little modifications or if you don't mind a little rubbing, and they usually run ~32" tall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelinGypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:49pm
I’m also noticing that when I turn off the engine after it’s warmed up, gas slowly drips out of the side and hit the exhaust manifold, causing it to sizzle and evaporate away, could the hole that the butterfly valve be worn out? 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:47am
Welcome to the page, WheelinGypsy!  More than likely, your carb float level is too high or your needle valve is not closing and needs to be replaced.  You'll want to fix that soon.  Otherwise, your Jeep might go up in flames and you won't have to bother with new suspension.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:48pm
I recently installed ranchos 2.5 inch suspension kit on a 48.  I bought it from Morris 4x4. It makes plenty of room for 32 ish 10.5s. Not cheap, just fyi.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by WheelinGypsy WheelinGypsy wrote:

I’m also noticing that when I turn off the engine after it’s warmed up, gas slowly drips out of the side and hit the exhaust manifold, causing it to sizzle and evaporate away, could the hole that the butterfly valve be worn out? 

Sounds like your metering rod is out of adjustment and/or it's not seating. I like to clean the seat with a piece of wood to be sure it's clean. One book I have calls it percolating, the fuel heats up after shutdown and boils in that fuel passage and ends up running out the throttle shaft. The seat on the metering rod is to stop that from happening.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Jeeps3,4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeps3,4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 3:56pm
what tires are you planning to run? Mine has 31x10.5r15s, still not a driver. Are those tires too big for the flathead?
New to old Jeeps
I drive 1998 Jeep TJ
Wife 2015 Jeep JK
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:22pm
I have the Rancho 2 1/2" lift on mine. It rides like a dump truck. I installed it two years and 8000 miles ago, and it hasn't smoothed out much. Axle articulation is crap and the jeep sits about 2 inches from full droop. They're stiff enough that my frame starts to flex before the springs do.

If you need new springs and aren't looking to haul a bunch of extra gear, I'd highly recommend heavy duty stock replacements.

I didn't see it mentioned, but larger, wider tires will kill your turning radius. A lift will help this to some extent, but won't bring it back to stock.

On a low budget, you'll get best trail performance from stock wheels, tires, and springs.

If you want to start upgrading, I'd start with better brakes. There are two disk brake upgrades you can do cheaply. I did mine with scrap yard parts and did all four corners for just over $350.

Welcome to the forums! Post some pics!

Les
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:25am
Before you get all excited about making a lot of changes, spend time using it and see what isn't getting the job done.

Remember that everything is a compromise and every change has some side effect.

Hang out here and spend some time reading old posts.
You might find that someone else has already done whatever you are contemplating, so you can see how that worked out for them.
1946 CJ2A 14098
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:27pm
mine isn't even completely put together and I'm impressed how much flex I get out of the rancho springs just by putting a knee on the bumper or whatever. They ARE short norrow leafs on a short vehicle, so I don't expect much.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

mine isn't even completely put together and I'm impressed how much flex I get out of the rancho springs just by putting a knee on the bumper or whatever. They ARE short norrow leafs on a short vehicle, so don't expect much.

You're getting good flex from your Ranchos?

How many leafs, and how thick, if you don't mind me asking?

Mine have four leaves (leafs?) and are about 3/8" thick.

If your spring packs have more and thinner leaves, they'd be more supple than mine.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn this until about a week after I installed them, when Jpet did his post on springs for Bam-Bam in the Modified section.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>