Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Play "What's this hole for?" with me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Play "What's this hole for?" with me...
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2021 at 11:56pm
I'm going through that fun process of welding up the extra holes that "don't belong there" on my new-to-me '46 VEC, as I try to put it back into proper, stock configuration.

I've already taken off all the 12 volt stuff and finished patching the passenger side inner fender from those items. Now, I've turned my attention to the driver's side... From studying photos, I know the big 7/8" hole near the middle is stock (although I'd love to understand its purpose! Anybody know?)

But I'm struggling to figure out if the two holes that are circled in red are factory or not. (They're NOT a horn bracket, my horn mounts back at the firewall.)

Front of the Jeep is to the right in the photo. What say ye? 

Edited by Vintage Don - 17 Mar. 2021 at 12:00am
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 12:02am
The large hole is an MB leftover, there to run the wiring for the fender mounted light....  Those other two holes aren't factory
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 12:13am
That was pretty quick!! Thanks very much. They will disappear shortly....
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2021 at 10:05pm
They were never there.....   Haha

The runs and drips down lower bugged me, too.

That's one more small step.

Cheers.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 6:47pm
They were probably from an old fender mounted horn bracket. So. if your horn is on the firewall you won't need to drill them out again! Big smile
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2021 at 7:12pm
That's my best guess, too. I searched all over to find a stock purpose for them and never could. It's got to be an early - probably original - fender, since it has the blackout lights wiring hole. Also has the 'ground strap screw hole' behind the junction plate. Whenever I found a photo of a fender mounted horn, the bolt holes lined up in a horizontal line, and these were vertically aligned. Yet they had that "factory look" to them.... Anyway, they're gone (and I have a drill! Haha) Thanks.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2021 at 3:07pm
Don,
     You could have conveniently left them there to mount your under-fender Go-Pro trail cam.   :)

Edited by Greaser007 - 22 Mar. 2021 at 3:08pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 4:56pm
Let's play another hand... Haha!

I pulled out my (incorrect) passenger seat, which will be replaced with a correct 2A seat later. That exposed the top of my toolbox area - which of course has "excess holes" from those seats.

Which - if any - of these holes should actually be here?

Do any of them serve to attach the front pivot / anchor for the correct seat?

Edited by Vintage Don - 27 Mar. 2021 at 4:57pm
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 5:38pm
If my memory is intact the two larger holes near the front edge are where the anchors attach.
BOULDER 48 2A
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

If my memory is intact the two larger holes near the front edge are where the anchors attach.

Like Terry said, here's a pic.

Dave
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 8:04pm
 What is that stud at the back of the tool box for?

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 8:05pm
That was my next question! 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 8:14pm
It's to hold down the back of the seat, or it was used that way in a MB.
john
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2021 at 8:42pm
Makes sense, this is a pretty early VEC and has many MB features. SN # 18907. Thank you.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 10:53pm
Next round...  I've pulled out the driver seat and gas tank, getting ready to patch stuff up in this area. (Already asked about the tank floor penetrations.) The replacement seat that I pulled out had been "re-engineered" with an interesting penetration through the front of the rear wheel housing. 

Just to help orient you, I'm looking at this area -

So I imagine this front face of that rear wheel opening should have NO holes in it at all - that this area should be simple planes of flat steel - no holes or openings at all. Yes?

(Zooming in here now on that "front wall" of the inner wheel housing circled above.)

Edited by Vintage Don - 02 Apr. 2021 at 10:54pm
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 10:59pm
Not stock.
john
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2021 at 11:35pm
OK....  That was kinda sparse info... haha!

Are you saying ALL the various holes and penetrations are Not Stock, as I assumed and asked - and that this area should be just flat planes of steel, no holes at all?

Edited by Vintage Don - 02 Apr. 2021 at 11:36pm
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 12:17am
It is not a stock hole, at least on any of my  Jeeps. Hard to say, seat belt? If nothing was mounted there, weld it up.
john
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>