Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Play "What's this hole for?" with me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 12:47am
The larger of the round holes should line up with a hole in the back of the seat- both of my jeeps (47 & 48) are like this. A bolt goes there; the rest I don't recognize. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
jeepdidwhat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdidwhat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 2:13am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

The larger of the round holes should line up with a hole in the back of the seat- both of my jeeps (47 & 48) are like this. A bolt goes there; the rest I don't recognize. 

I agree.  There is a threaded hole in the driver seat.  A bolt goes from the fender into the driver seat to anchor it on the back, outside corner.

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 11:37pm
Looks like you're missing something here as well. The small holes around the larger one may be from removing the spot welds for this part. 

48 CJ2A
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 11:41pm
It does look like part of a seat hold down but my MB or 3B don't have that.
john
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2021 at 11:41pm
Ah ha!!! Say more!!! This makes sense...
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 1:58am
Both my CJ2A and M38 have the driver side "seat stop" where the lower cross bar of the driver seat rests on it, and the bolt is put in from the fender well side - Just like Otto's.  There is a fine thread 5/16" nut welded in the seat crossbar hole. 

Passenger side seat has a similar seat bar stop, but no bolt is inserted from the fender well, as that seat can be pulled forward on the pivots to allow passengers in the back. Same on both M38 and CJ2A.

You can close those holes up quick and clean!  I could have kept you busy for a couple of hours of hole filling.  What type of welder are you using?

Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by uncamoney uncamoney wrote:

It does look like part of a seat hold down but my MB or 3B don't have that.

Originally posted by Jeff_Davis Jeff_Davis wrote:

Both my CJ2A and M38 have the driver side "seat stop" where the lower cross bar of the driver seat rests on it, and the bolt is put in from the fender well side - Just like Otto's.  There is a fine thread 5/16" nut welded in the seat crossbar hole. 

Passenger side seat has a similar seat bar stop, but no bolt is inserted from the fender well, as that seat can be pulled forward on the pivots to allow passengers in the back. Same on both M38 and CJ2A.

Not that it really matters to the OP's question or discussion but.....these mounts ARE standard on a CJ-3B (including the bolt) that still has the original, unmodified wheel well.

IMHO, I've tried to fold the seat forward to help passenger's get in the back - a couple of times.  It  only worked for me when the w/s was down.  Otherwise, the seat was right in the way.  Easier to crawl over.  I've assumed the need to pivot was to gain access to the tool box.

Having a 4 corner secure mount to the driver's seat makes sense.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 3:59pm
Ditto's Rus, on letting passenger's into the rear of the jeep!  I don't know why I said this, and the footprints on my passenger seat covers is witness to this fabled pivot!!  LOL
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 4:44pm
OK, this is all starting to come into focus better now...

It appears then that there should be that one hole, and that it has a small bracket / seat rest associated with it.

Yes, that little seat rest bracket IS present on my passenger side (without the hole of course). So I will fabricate a matching piece for the driver side, and keep that hole for a bolt into the seat frame on the driver's side. Thanks!

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 4:55pm
It looks like the brackets are the same for both sides, maybe someone has an extra on a scrap tub- IF you want to keep it all OE. 
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 5:15pm
Man, your passenger side is pristine.  I'm jealous.

Do you have the original seat frames?  If you are looking at picking up some used ones, be sure to get CJ2A (if that is what your TUB is) seats.  There are lots of M38/CJ3A driver seats out there that won't fit a CJ2A. Ditto with passenger side.  The wheel wells were moved a bit on later jeeps, so know your tub style before sourcing seats. 

I'm not knowledgeable of seat variations on the Very Early CJ seats frames (did they use MB seat frames??)  , so I will defer to others on that point.

Jeff
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 6:34pm
OK, I've closed up that odd-shaped chopped out area now.

And got my patch butt-welded in place.

I've left the hole and spot weld penetrations just above there, to re-use when I get my bracket fabricated and my seat ready to trial fit things before I weld.

While I'm working on closing up holes that "don't belong there" - do all of these circled ones need to be closed up as well? (There's a small one under that footman loop I'm trying to show, too.)

Edited by Vintage Don - 06 Apr. 2021 at 6:36pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 7:16pm
One of the holes near the edge of the rear floor has a threaded nut in it, that’s one of your seat attachment points. 
48 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 7:24pm
The 3rd middle hole in the floor footman loop positions are drains.  Don't fill.

Nice patch on the gas tank drain and fuel line exit.  
Jeff
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 7:26pm
  The small hole under the footman’s loop is a drain for that depression the loop is situated in. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2021 at 8:17pm
Fantastic, thanks gents! Yes, I see the captured nut for seat attachment now, so I'll leave that one alone now, obviously - as well as the footman loop drain. Good deal, only 3 holes here to deal with instead of 5. Haha. 

There's more effort involved than seems like there should be, when welding up and grinding closed these holes like this - to make it "as if they were never there." I put a copper piece behind or under, and I usually put a small piece of scrap in there to take some of the space, especially the 5/16" or larger holes. Sometimes I cut off a small slice of a slightly smaller bolt to fill some of the void. Fun fun!

Edited by Vintage Don - 06 Apr. 2021 at 8:19pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 2:56pm
A few days ago, I had asked about the total of TEN holes across the top front of my toolbox area (or call it the passenger seat riser) - trying to learn which ones were actually supposed to be there, for the stock seat pivot attachment points.

Terry and Hamhog showed me which two were right, and I've finally finished welding up the other Eight. Later, I'll clean these up further and blend them in with some paint. But for now, all the "rabbit holes" are closed up and there's no where that a flashlight will show a pinhole in any of them any more.

"Before"

"After"

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2021 at 3:22pm
That looks much better... Well done Thumbs Up
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>