Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Play "What's this hole for?" with me...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:11am
You’ve done a amazing job getting everything repaired
I didn’t know if you were concerned about them but some other non stock holes I noticed.
Those aftermarket taillights probably need to come off, they are placed over the original footman loop location and there’s probably extra holes there. The corner bow bracket has screw holes from those snaps that need filling, it also has an extra hole on the left bracket that makes me think maybe it’s missing the stop tab on the bottom. I tried to get a pic of the tab, hopefully it shows well enough.

Edited by 48willys - 09 May 2021 at 9:17am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:28pm
QUOTE=BUTA46]Surplus M38 top then. Makes even more sense. And a 2A spare tire carrier on the tailgate. I have the M38 style on my 2A as well.[/QUOTE]

I think your hypothesis makes a TON of sense. Sure - they drilled a hundred holes for a hardtop. Decided it was too hot (the Jeep spent its life in Texas) - so they (or the next owner) pulled it off and stuck an M38 top on there.

Then moved the original spare tire bracket (4 holes) back to the tailgate.

That would explain ALL the holes quite well.

Tailgate holes are totally gone now, about invisible. "Before" (also a couple of holes along the left edge of the tub where s license plate was mounted verticality) -

And "After" way too much effort at welding, grinding, bodywork, primer, and fiddling with matching up faded paint -

Also have finished making the holes on the side of the tub "disappear." But not happy yet with my paint matchup. (Although the spare tire will basically hidden it all, anyway. haha)

Among many others, these ones -

Are gone -

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 48willys 48willys wrote:

You’ve done a amazing job getting everything repaired
I didn’t know if you were concerned about them but some other non stock holes I noticed.
Those aftermarket taillights probably need to come off, they are placed over the original footman loop location and there’s probably extra holes there. The corner bow bracket has screw holes from those snaps that need filling, it also has an extra hole on the left bracket that makes me think maybe it’s missing the stop tab on the bottom. I tried to get a pic of the tab, hopefully it shows well enough.

Thanks! Yes, all of that matters to me.

I plan on reinstalling correct taillights down low where they belong. And the snaps for the Bestop currently on there will have to go, sure.

And I know that's gonna leave me yet more holes to deal with....

The stop tabs are gone. I thought those two holes might have been for a pin to stick in there for a stop. We'll fix it all back like it was born.

I'm slow....   I'm trying to get the big, basic stuff reasonably into the right configuration, including getting the engine all back together and getting it driveable. All holes patched, rust repairs done. Leave the current top on it, until I get to that part of the job  (it's a long list!) I need to replace a section of floor pan, and I want to get the column shift set-up back in it - which means pulling the trans to put the side-shift forks back. At which point I'll put a Novak kit in it while it's apart. Probably just do the transfer case then, too. Get the right, early military style steering wheel back on there, make the horn work.....

Edited by Vintage Don - 09 May 2021 at 2:59pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:57pm

Speaking of replacing a piece of the floorboard...

I've been trying to figure out what's correct / original in an area that puzzles me. I've 'searched' and read several other threads, but it's still not clear if we're talking about the same hole...

Let me try to make the question clear:

Where the cowl reinforcement piece comes down to the floor, there is a hole In the base of it, against the horizontal floor metal.

The question is - IS THERE A CORRESPONDING HOLE IN THE FLOOR ITSELF, directly under that?

My floor has an opening there, but that's also where it's rusted. Studying the old threads, re-pop floor panels, etc - it appears this is supposed to be a blind hole in the bracket only - no hole in the floor?

It's pretty clearly NOT for a through-bolt, because there is no hole in the existing, original hat channel under it.

Help.

Edited by Vintage Don - 09 May 2021 at 2:58pm
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 3:02pm
Yes, that large hole in the "foot" of the cowl gusset is supposed to be there- no corresponding hole in the floor. It could have been a jig alignment hole during assembly.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:28pm
Here is a good thread that includes comments from some of the top Willys historians regarding this bolt to nowhere...
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Here is a good thread that includes comments from some of the top Willys historians regarding this bolt to nowhere...

Yes, thank you athawk11, I had read that thread earlier, when I was doing searches before I asked this question. 

The first photo in that string certainly appears to show that it is a "blind" hole - only a hole in the gusset foot, and NOT in the floor pan below it. Reposting it here -

But then they go into a discussion about it having a bolt through it (importantly) on LATER models and 3A's. Mine is a 1946 VEC. The original hat channel is intact - AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A HOLE for a thru-bolt, in the hat channel. Therefore, clearly, there was never a thru-bolt there....

And, therefore, I do not feel their discussion is relevant to my Jeep.

Not saying I don't appreciate the post and the link - I certainly do! All part of trying to figure it out. Haha

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:26pm
My opinion is that the bolt to nowhere helps reinforce the hat channel that supports the "step".
BOULDER 48 2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

My opinion is that the bolt to nowhere helps reinforce the hat channel that supports the "step".

But how can there BE a bolt - when there's no hole in the hat channel for it to go through????

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:17pm
There is on mine.
BOULDER 48 2A
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

There is on mine.

Interesting...  I see on your profile, you have a 48. That would tie in with the linked thread above, that this was something they started to do later on, after my '46 was built.

Conclusion: since I have no "exit hole" through the bottom of my hat channel, I have to conclude that (on the early 46's anyway) this hole exists only in the base of the cowl reinforcement gusset - and there is no hole present in the floorboard sheet metal under it. That's what I'll do. If I learn later it should have a hole into the hat channel, I can drill it then. 

Thank you.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:08pm
I got curious and looked a few over. My oldest is serial number 24054 and it has a bolt through the hole in question. I have one serial number 51392 that does not. All the others have a bolt through the hole except my M38. I would have thought it would have a bolt through it but it doesn’t. 

Seems kind of random whether the bolt was used or not. 

Mike

Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:09pm
S/n 20xxx has a bolt in the hole.  I will check later to see if it looks like an old factory type bolt, or instead something that might have been added later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:27pm
The bolt looks original, with a tall head on it.  The nut on the bottom is locked with a second stamped steel nut, like the ones I’ve seen used as locknuts on the connecting rod bolts.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Dutch 1960 Dutch 1960 wrote:

The bolt looks original, with a tall head on it.  The nut on the bottom is locked with a second stamped steel nut, like the ones I’ve seen used as locknuts on the connecting rod bolts.

Wonder why I didn't get one....

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:54pm
'Southpaw', a lefty, (so also a '48) has one. Same bolt and nut(s) configuration previously described.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:05pm
The jam nut is called a “pal nut”, per the linked thread.  The dimensions of the “strainer bolt”, 3/8”, with washer (mounted on top), and nut with pal nut underneath, match mine.  The hat channel, floor, and bottom of the bracket are rusted out on the passenger side, so I have no way of knowing if this was done on both sides of the Jeep, or just the driver’s side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Vintage Don Vintage Don wrote:

Originally posted by Dutch 1960 Dutch 1960 wrote:

Wonder why I didn't get one....

The hat channel is not drilled through on yours, right?   But the bracket and floor are drilled?  Maybe a batch of hat channels came in without the holes, so the assembly line crew said “ferk it” and let it go.  Or the guys at ACM did so, if the bolts were supposed to be put in over there.

Edited by Dutch 1960 - 11 May 2021 at 9:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>