Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plugging temp sensor port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proctor Silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plugging temp sensor port
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 2:41pm
I have been removing the gauges to do repairs and clean up the dirt and rust. I saw from some posts that the temp sender port is 1/2" NPT, but I did not find anything about removing the sender and plugging it. I probably will not run it while I am working on the rust, but I want to maintain the option in case it needs moving. This hole puts the sender directly into the coolant, right? Is there any problem with replacing the sender with a plug? Should the plug be of a particular material such as malleable iron or brass?
Milton the 1948 CJ-2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 3:19pm
Just a standard pipe plug will work. You can get one made of brass, but the iron plug will work fine.

No problem just disconnecting and leaving the sensor in place to serve as a plug.

Edited by Oldpappy - 19 Feb. 2023 at 3:21pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 4:00pm
  Unless you have an electric temperature gauge, you dont have a sender. The original gauge is all soldered together, a bulb, a tube, and the gauge. Do not try to remove the bulb from the end of the tube, and be careful removing the bulb from the engine. Dont twist the bulb off the end of the tube. There is an adapter in the hole, you’ll have to remove to install a pipe plug. Do not damage or lose the adapter. It is not an ordinary pipe bushing. 
BW 

Note: Electric gauges have senders, Idiot lights have switches, Computer systems have sensors. 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2023 at 4:57pm
f you do happen to damage the adapter, or if it is badly corroded as was the one on my CJ5, new ones are available.

I bought mine from QTM, they are only $6

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Proctor Silex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proctor Silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2023 at 8:59pm
Thank you for the responses. I just saw these. I must not have been subscribed.
I ordered some cheap steel plugs off fleabay. I spent too much time looking at thermal expansion rates and found that mild steel has the same rating as cast iron. You never know with China's mystery metals though.

Should the engine end of the gauge be referenced as the plug then?

I have been spraying the plug down with penetrating oil now and then. I tried working it loose recently, but the plug is pretty well gnarled. It looks like a rather soft metal. There are no flat surfaces left and locking pliers just slip. I will need to get the intake et al out of the way (and get some new locking pliers with teeth). Is there another tool that would be better?

The adapter looks clean. I will try cracking that loose once I find the right size wrench.

I tested with a torch tonight and found that the gauge still functions.

Edited by Proctor Silex - 28 Mar. 2023 at 9:02pm
Milton the 1948 CJ-2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2023 at 9:24pm
 If the fitting is rounded off you could try a pipe wrench.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2023 at 10:28pm
Acetone and old school ATF mixed 50/50 has been proven to work better then almost all squirter in a can stuff.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:52am
  Channel Lock type pliers may work better than Vice-Grip type. Similar to a pipe wrench, they tighten themselves as pressure is applied, when used correctly. Vice-Grips only crush the object and don’t tighten themselves as it gives. If the hex or square is gone, it’s probably too late anyway. Bubba strikes again. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply