Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll: Military tribute or original?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poll: Military tribute or original?
    Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 12:42am
I'm getting to the point in my restoration (CJ-2a Restoration, Let the Fun Begin), where I need to decide what this thing will look like when I'm done. My original options were originality, military tribute and resto-mod. Since then, I've eliminated resto-mod (just couldn't do it) so I'm down to bringing her back to her original 1946 glory or as a military tribute (USMC of course). Yes, I know a CJ-2a was never a military vehicle, but it's my Jeep and I can do it if I want to. Keep in mind, the difference between original and military is 95% cosmetic.

So here's the end game for this thing. I plan on having it on the road by the end of May, driving it for the summer and then putting it up for sale. Even though profit isn't my highest priority, I'd certainly like to make a couple bucks while I'm having fun.

So, what's the consensus? Do I do the right thing and do the originality thing or do I commit fraud with a military tribute?
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 12:51am
I have a bone stock M38 in OD, am finishing a 3A in a faded usta-be-red. Would I swap colors? Nope..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 1:09am
For resale, the Jeep might be better as stock in color, etc. With that said, you do exactly what you see fit!
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 1:11am
As a Marine Corps vet, my vote considering your stated plan is "originality". As someone that will have my USMC service number on the hood, this will stay in the family for the next several decades. If I was looking at any resale value, I'd go original....As an aside, As we went through our four year rebuild, All my military changes were cancelled and the numbers on the hood is the only military aspect.  Good Luck.....
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:00am
I have nothing against military jeep clones but as an owner of many olive drab military jeeps I'd say go for original 1946 CJ instead of olive drab. I think olive drab jeeps are boring compared to the bright civilian color combinations available. 

Edited by TateC - 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:02am
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:11am
This can be a hard decision. On my 47' I considered painting in a tan/desert sand color in tribute to my Marine son who did a tour in Ramadi. I finally decided to repaint in the color it was born in - Picket Gray. It's your decision, sleep on it and you'll decide what's best for your project.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:13am
I have a 51 3a in OD. Bought it that way from an ex-Army guy in Albuquerque. People always say "that Army jeep" and I have to either correct them or just go along with their belief. If it had been up to me I would have preferred a sand color. But I still like it. In your case, I'd vote for one of the original colors (see the Kaiser catalog). Would say the only benefit with OD Carq is it is a flat paint and easy to repair with a spray can when you scrape or dent it. Probably have something like it in the sand colors... don't know. Have to think about it sometime.
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:16am
For me, I have family that are hardcore MVPA and they always roll their eyes when they see a CJ dressed in anthing resembling military. I think they look cool, but to those folks, its blasphemy. . .

Edited by IRQVET - 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:22am
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:29am
I wouldn't sweat the resale either way. If you go military, you'll always at least attract buyers who want the military look regardless of pedigree. If you go stock, you'll attract people who want the originality. Make it the way you'd like to have it.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:37am
We have a '52 M38 that is now black.  Came to us hacked up for a Chevy 350 that was not present.  Now it has a civilian hood and windshield and a Pinto engine.  It is a Jeep to use and have fun with.
Your Jeep should be that for you, to have fun with.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 2:46am
  I would never do that (paint a civvie as military). I also would never paint a military vehicle in a civilian color (or a WWII vehicle in a Desert Storm color). That's just me. But I have some of both, so it may be easier for me to decide. At the same time, one of my best friends has a CJ3A dressed as an M38, and I'm not a bit ashamed to park one of mine next to his. I'm proud to know him and his jeep.
  "It's your jeep, do what you want", and what I want is OD on my WWII vehicles and bright shiny colors on my civvies.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 3:16am
I am a "it's your jeep do it how you like" kind of guy.

That said I am in to all versions of a Willys Jeep that are still jeeps. But the cross over 2As not so much. The pickups and wagons on some other chassis not so much. That said or I guess voted. My opinion is my own.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 4:00am
In the CJ-2A history, it’s mentioned that olive drab paint might have been used during the ‘46-‘47 years, ‘cause it’s listed in the parts manuals
Mike in AZ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 10:36am
Can't stand clones.... you asked.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 12:09pm
Not a fan of clones at all....that being said why not restore it original but then make a functional MB grill AND the original CJ2a grill. Swap them out as you feel the need. Win win
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 3:12pm
My '47 is made up off many flat fenders that were all different colors. Camo green was just easier and faster to cover up then having red fenders, orange hood and grill, yellow windshield and a yellow tub, also I did have it as a tribute to my ex-grandfather-in-law who drove a M38. I was never really happy with the color and when I re-do the Jeep it will not be green.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 3:24pm
I made a clone out of a 1950 CJ3A and attended many, many Veteran's functions with it, as requested by local Veteran's associations. I think you'll find the Veterans will like it and the MVPA types won't. I had numerous Veterans who wanted a photo op and/or a ride and when I finally sold it I sold it to a military Veteran on the first day I offered it. He knew it was a clone and didn't care.

I find it interesting that some jeep folks will fawn over raised chassis', huge tires, funky tops, roll bars, huge PTO's, Buick engines, bucket seats, diamond plate, sprayed bed liner, etc but stand there and tell you creating a military clone is wrong. The only regret I had was selling it but the time had come. As you say, it's your jeep and really the only person whose opinion matters is yours.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2020 at 4:01pm
When I got Wilson over 30 years ago it was painted camouflage.   Prior to that it as been at least 6 colors,  all very different.    I painted it OD green because I thought all "Army Jeeps" should be that color.  Embarrassed     I did not try to make it a "tribute" with numbers on hood etc.

It started life as red.    In fact it had a logo of some DC fire company on the original paint.  (unfortunately I unknowingly burned up almost half of it when welding in a patch on the side).     I actually like red Jeeps,  but that did not fit my vision of what a old trail Jeep should look like.  

If I could go back 30 years though,   I might paint it original red,  or possibly a "earthy" color,  like tan.   I would not paint it green.

No way I will change now though.    I like the 30-year patina, with the stories the dents and scratches remind me of. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>