Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poll: Military tribute or original?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:47pm
Nice car. My cousin bought a Maverick "Grabber" new. His was a very ugly shade of green, but it was a cool car anyway, and a lot of fun to drive. It handled better than my 68 Chevy Nova.

No you couldn't have ordered a CJ2A as a MB, certainly not as a GPW (Ford), but when the CJ2A was rolling off the line you could still find nearly pristine MBs and GPWs for cheap, so if that was what you wanted you could get it for less money than a new CJ. 

None of that matters now because if you want a "new" CJ2A or MB you are going to either have to buy one someone else has restored, or build your own. When finished my Jeep will be about as "New" as a 72 year old car can get. 

I am going next week to look at a 1947 CJ2A for my next project. This one is in good enough shape to restore, and it is very complete. If I buy that one it will be "restored" in original configuration even to original color, which is my favorite color green anyway. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:49pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:49pm
  Years ago, I bought an ‘81 Chevy Citation X-11 that had been wrecked, and an ‘80 plain-Jane Citation coupe. I stripped all of the special equipment and interior from the wreck and have it all stored. Someday I will convert the ‘80 into an X-11 clone. Yes it will be a clone and will never be a “real” X-11, but at least one Citation X-11 will not have completely disappeared from the world. And I will enjoy driving it, regardless of what anyone else thinks. 
Again - It’s my Citation, I’ll do with it what I want. 
  Personally, I would rather see a CJ dressed as a military jeep, which could be reversed, than butchered up for rock crawler or hot rod. My $.02. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:58pm
Yes, I hate seeing some of the things people do.

There is a local guy who used the body of a pretty decent early MB which he mounted on a CJ5 frame to build a rock crawler. 

The worst part is he just junked the rest of the MB including a good running engine, and I just didn't understand ditching stuff like that which would have been valuable to me. 

It would have been just as good for a rock crawler with the CJ5 body. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Yes, I hate seeing some of the things people do.

There is a local guy who used the body of a pretty decent early MB which he mounted on a CJ5 frame to build a rock crawler. 

The worst part is he just junked the rest of the MB including a good running engine, and I just didn't understand ditching stuff like that which would have been valuable to me. 

It would have been just as good for a rock crawler with the CJ5 body. 

I don't know which is worse, chopping up some old MB or CJ-2A to make a rock crawler or letting an old MB or CJ-2A rust away out behind the tool shed for 30 years.

I know of what was at one time a perfectly good '70 model CJ-5 that belonged to the guy's brother before the brother died. It has set out in the weather for the last 40 years and is now a total mess. I know of several people that have offered the guy a reasonable price for it, but the guy always says that "one of these days I'm going to fix it up". Last I saw of it there was a pretty good sized tree growing up between the grille and the bumper.

...but it's their property and who is to argue if someone wants a flatfender rock crawler or a rusted out CJ-5 that holds a tree in place from the Kansas winds...   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 7:15pm
Well, to be fair..."clone" means exact copy, usually from the first, so we're taking a little license with "military clone" being an exact copy.  

If you're going to sweat using a repro tub as faking it, the philosophical side of that argument is more in line with ggordon49's signature line about the "Ship of Theseus - As years go by wooden parts begin to rot and are replaced by new. After a century, all of the parts have been replaced. Is the "restored" ship still the same object as the original?"

Wasn't there a model of corvette, or mustang or similar where more of them were registered than were ever actually built?  Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all... but part of the equation is the fixed number of originals.  Make as many copies as you want, the number of originals can only go down.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 7:19pm
OldPappy,
I think the color you are referring to us Anti-Establishment Green. It was the '70's soo...

As far as handling, I upgraded the entire front suspension, Wilwood brakes, Traction Masters, 17" wheels and a 3.55 posi. She handles like a go-kart.

Clones are OK as long as people are honest about it.

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 7:52pm
The Maverick looks great, you nailed the stance and the wheel/tire/wheelhouse relationships. Very nice paint and super-sano engine compartment. 347...not 351?

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2020 at 3:56am

Luzon,

Thank you! Its a 5.0 (302) out of a crashed cop car stroked to 347.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2020 at 5:01pm
Micah,

That is one bad *ss Mav !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had your talent, but I am a stocker kind of sorta guy. My newly acquired 6t4 - 260 V8 - three on the tree - Rockin Ranch Arrow will be a bone stocker with an upgraded 8 track under dash. In the olden days, my father had a 6t4 Ranchero he used in his business in the town west of you about 80 plus miles. Still miss the sagebrush of the area. I am now surrounded by Doug fir trees in SW Oregon.

Again, congrats on the Mav,

Frank
Squishymonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squishymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2020 at 6:38pm
There is a middle ground. My 53 data plate is stamped Department of Navy. It is flat light grey/blue but I dont know if that was original color (I think it is based  on some hard to reach paint locations). It also has original Navy lettering and registration number on the hood. Otherwise it appears civilian.

Personally though, I dont like the idea of "faking" a military vehicle. I would
 keep it original. I also dont see a problem with someone just liking olive drab as a color. It sort of comes down to intent.

For my Jeep I intend to keep the original color and decaling to preserve its heritage. Civilian CJs have a heritage too and I think that is worth preserving.Clap
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 12:21am
One of the questions I get asked occasionally is, "Why did you paint your army jeep red?"

I think that the general public has a belief that if it is a flatfender, then it must have been a military jeep at some point in it's 70+ year life.

Of course, as owners of flatfenders we know only the GPW, MB, and M-38's actually served in the military with a possible very few exceptions.

So....you explain to the questioning public the history of the little CJ that was designed to be down on the farm after the war. Most that listen to the CJ story believe you, but some have a look on their faces that tells you that they think you are lying to them. So you assure them that your CJ never served in the military but instead did service in the oil patch for seventeen years somewhere in the vicinity of Sedan, Kansas...

All in a day's contact with the general public while running your red CJ around town on errands...

...while some continue to believe that it is military surplus and painted the wrong color.

Oh, well...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:04pm

I have a CJ2A chasis, a reproduction MB body, M38-A1 axles, and a Korean era MB replacement engine. 

It is not as if I started out with a restorable CJ2A, nor am I making a CJ2A look like an MB. I didn't have enough of a CJ2A to do that.

The way I see it, building a MB look-a-like out of this pile of parts is no less genuine than if I had chosen to build a CJ2A look-a-like. Either way would not be "orginial" by anyone's standards.

If I had a restorable CJ2A I would probably restore it as close as possible to original specs, but I don't have one at this time.

The "original color" on my reproducton body is brick red primer Wink

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:44pm
Paint it red and you're home free!
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 1:55pm

Obviously changed my mind. I actually had the Olive Drab purchased when I saw a pic of a yellow CJ2a and my choice became instantly clear at that point. Can't argue with Karma.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2020 at 2:16pm
Nice work.  Looks great!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2020 at 12:25am
Thanks Steve!

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2020 at 1:31am
What type and brand of primer and paint did you use?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2020 at 2:08pm
Primer was TCPGlobal Restoration Shop Epoxy Primer. Finish is Kirker Ultra-Glow Acrylic Urethane Single Stage. Epoxy primers are pretty much all the same regardless of brand. I chose the Kirker Ultra-Glow because it's easy to apply, is reasonably priced and produces a pretty good finish. That said, I probably wouldn't use it on a high end project, but hey, it's a Jeep!

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>